BC Boards

Border Collie getting used to being around horses

onice

I have a dog, Ugla, who is a little over two years old now, and I have never been with her around horses.

Well, I live nearby where there are a lot of horse stables, and it is not a problem when we meet them when walking on a leash.

But in november last year I had a terrible discovery, and I found out that ugla is terrified around horses in the stables.

She thinks their some huge monster giants or something, and she barks alot at them.

Well the thing is, I really want to help my friends family feeding their horses and cleaning the srtables, and it would be so great if I could use that oppurtunity to take her with me and get started on that fear, which is inly because she is not used to this.

Should I take her on a leash with me, and than I know how she will react, she will bark, be scared, and will try to get out of the situation or should I take her off leash and than I a worried she will sniff their feet and be kicked :/

I really need help, I really want to make her feel good about horses, because I am absoloutely shure I will get a horse at the end of this year hopefully and I want to do this the right way, not make something worse than it is already.

P.s she is not afraid of sheep though..I just had to mention it:p

Thanks for reading this post.

Is there a distance at which she starts reacting? If so, I would start a little further away than that, on leash, and just hang out for a while so she can see the horses from a comfortable distance for her. Then you can just gradually work at moving her closer (on leash) using standard desensitizing techniques (praise/treat for resting quietly and not reacting) until she's at a point where she can be on leash in the stable and not reacting. Later you can work on off leash stuff in case you want her to go an trail rides, etc. with you.

You also might want to post this question in the General Discussion section as there are lots of folks there who have done this sort of desensitizing, maybe not with horses, but the principles would be the same.

I hope this helps!

J.

I would keep her on a leash for sure while she is learning to be around horses to begin with. For the safety of the horses as she might feel the instinct to bite and for her safety as some horses will attack dogs. Are you showing a huge reaction when she barks? If you become flustered, nervous, or scared your dog will pick up on that and think there is a reason to be scared. I've had horses and dogs all my life and what I have learned is bring them to the point that they feel the need to react but you need to stay calm and reassure your dog. When your dog becomes comfortable at this distance try getting closer. Also be sure that the horse that you are using for your training is used to dogs and isn't going to mind a barking dog. I hope this helps! :rolleyes:

I am doing that right now with my pair

I go into the field next to the horse at a distance where they know its there but they dont feel they have to react then I give lots of treats, turn around and walk away

then the next day a little closer, I may even ask for a couple of fun tricks

Turn around and walk away

Building up a little each day

In less than a week I have been able to walk right past a horse without the dogs barking once, they are quite looking forward to being in the horse field where the treats happen

Hi Onice, as your dog is called Ugla, could it be you are Icelandic?

I have not much to add to the good advice in the previous posts, other than be carefull with your dog around horses (especially horses not used to dogs), know two BC´s that lost an eye and one that lost his tail in confrontations with horses.

We have 8 horses, and so I am in the comfortable position to teach my dogs good horsemanners from the start.

Thanks for your advice:)

And Yes- Smalahundur, ég er frá Íslandi:)

Ertu að rækta Border?

Well I did take Ugla with me Yesterday to see the horses, well, I think I will have to take her few times so she will be comfortable with them, but she was quite calm, and surpriced me actually.

4ec1f90e-fce3-439e-841b-ef4e43650b9c.jpg

6b118ac2-6dd9-4fc5-ba98-b1f21b73758b.jpg

ac18d3c9-0a1b-454c-8b3b-2436b5246e49.jpg

3a09ce00-ecb9-4779-ad70-23881c4be882.jpg

d8462692-eba5-4481-84c2-84cd7c8ebe5c.jpg

So we will continue doing this, and maybe when she is calm, we will do some excercises:)

Thank you=)

Mig grunaði það :rolleyes:

And no I´m not a breeder, actually a bit of a beginner, my pup Táta is now 5 months old and being prepared for stock work, as we have a small (hobby) sheepfarming operation going here (47 ær, 19 gemlingar, 6 hrútar). I plan on starting her on sheep after lambing time, she´ll be around 8 months old then.

That´s looking pretty good with Ugla and the horse. Yeah, repeating and taking little steps would probably do the trick. Nice dog.

Archived