BC Boards

Border Collie "issues"?

Guest echoica
That is simply crazy. I wonder how long they had those pups before they found the dream home?! That is over the top.

...but then there is the flip-side to that. animal control in that same city only charged $25 for a dog without requiring spay/neuter!! :rolleyes:

And not to be a jerk... but we only "know" this poster by an internet forum. And I mean NO DISRESPECT but perhaps there are reasons these 3 rescues didn't follow through, and perhaps there isn't.

Absolutely. There are rare pet seeking people who don't suit Rescue adoptions at all. For those that are responsible and suited to the breed but say...don't have a fence for example - you need a Rescue that will look at you as an individual. the same for apartment dwellers, people with small children, etc. Not all rescues have the time or are willing to take the risk. BUT, these issues are usually clear up front and you can seek another.

Rescuers get a lot of flak from people who feel they are a charitable donation pet store. Telling someone the truth is often more drama generating than just "forgetting" their application is often the easy way out. Maybe one group did forget you, but 3 times....3 Rescues....not a good sign. Ask more questions....

This is the story I think of when the issue of the pickiness of rescues came up. A good friend of mine attempted to adopt a dog from a malamute breed rescue. I think the world of this woman--she's a wonderful parent and she's very responsible. She got her first malamute when my then 11-year-old stepdaughter was spending a week with her (so you know I really trust her). And then after we scolded her about buying a puppy, and after she built a fence around her backyard, she applied to adopt a second malamute from rescue.

She was turned down. She was very frustrated about it, and she had most of the same complaints you see here.

But as that first malamute puppy grew she had one huge problem after another. She worked hard to make it work--but the fact is that she was just not equipped to deal with that breed of dog. In the end she did an incredibly conscientious job of rehoming the dog on her own (I assume she was just too embarrassed to contact the breed rescue) and found a very good home for it.

So the moral of this story is that someone might be a very good person and indeed an excellent dog owner for other dogs (my friend now has two very happy labs), but still not the right fit for a particular breed or a particular dog.

So the moral of this story is that someone might be a very good person and indeed an excellent dog owner for other dogs (my friend now has two very happy labs), but still not the right fit for a particular breed or a particular dog.

That is very true. The rescue I'm with does and will turn people away for sure if we think they are not going to be able to handle a certain dog, usually we do try to find a different match for them. They held Riley for me because they didn't have to first clue on how to properly place a border collie. There were so many applications because he was cute but none with any relevant experience to the breed. They were not about to place a 15 month old border collie in a home with no experience and kids, you know what I mean?! People will also get turned down based upon their training beliefs too. But we always tell them they are turned down and why. Not just a "we'll keep in touch". sort of thing. Sorry, I think I rambled there...

Breed-specific rescues can be pretty picky about who they'll adopt to, but not all of them are. I enrolled my dog in a frisbee class last summer and there was a lady there with her BC she was fostering through the BC rescue organization. Upon hearing that I "only" had one dog, she handed me the foster's leash and said "Here, you take her!" I balked, but she pressed pretty hard. The lady had no knowledge of me other than the fact that I own a BC mix, like to play frisbee with my dog, and only own one dog. I'm sure the real application process is more involved, but even so, I feel like she would have made it work if I really wanted the dog.

I lived in Miami Dade for 18 years and still have a lot of ties there. I've gotta say, though, herding breeds aren't common there. Until I moved away, I probably would have had a hard time recognizing a BC or an Aussie, had a seen one. Maybe I was just oblivious, not being a dog person at that time. I do know one non-breed specific rescue there, if you're interested.

Archived