BC Boards

Allergy - any ideas?

Tommy Coyote

It's not grain - she is on grain free everything.

I can't see how it could be fleas - both dogs are on Sentinel and Vectra. And I haven't seen a flea in months.

I don't see how it could be grass or weeds - everything outside is frozen solid.

I am just bumfuzzeled.

Right now I am giving her all beef foods - to see if getting her off checken might help. If that does nothing then I'll switch to chicken and see if that makes a difference.

Well we live in the same area, my dogs are the same, (no grain foods, flea control and all the fleas are dead right now) Syke is biting herself like crazy, it is driving me nuts. Her skin looks fine though no rashes or bumbs she is just biting her legs and tummy like she is itchy.

If they're indoor dogs, maybe it's a matter of living inside in airforced heat. It's been a long winter, and some of my dogs are doing it ---not biting, just scratching --- not a lot, but more than usual. It sort of happens with certain dogs every year. Skin dries out during the winter when you spend a lot more time indoors -- humans and dogs. Maybe that's the case with your dogs? Just a thought.

ETA -- add fish oil or salmon oil if you think that might be the case.

My guys will sometimes get itchy if they have whipworms.............or tapes......if there isn't anything else making them itch it might be a good idea to give them a good worming.....just something to think about. I'd also second the salmon oil, especially if they are inside dogs with the heat dried air..........good luck

My dogs used to get very itchy from the chemicals in the flea meds. I haven't given flea meds in 6 years to any of the dogs or the cat. We use a LITTLE bit of garlic a few times a week, as well we don't seem to have ticks as a result either, thank god!

Start adding some fish oil to their diet too.

My dogs have just started itching a tiny bit. I think it might be the inside winter heat starting to show effects. But I've also wondered if they were somehow starting the whole process of getting ready to blow their winter coats in the not so distant future.

I've used grain free dog foodfor sometime. But with the oldsters I've noticed that I had to up the quality of the food. Guess for that matter I can see a big difference in the young dogs to but they were never really bothered by other foods just look way better on the better quality food.

What used to cost me around 34 dollars for about 40-45#'s now costs me $44 for 30#'s Different manufacturing and a step up in the quality of grain free ingreidents. just for the record I don't think I was feeding crap grain free food before, just maybe we might say we get what we pay for but in truth....I think it's all rubbish. We get what the manfacturer thinks they can get away with.

JMHO

I wondered about the furnace being on so much.

Tommy is still on her Imuran (for her auto immune disease) and I asked the vet if that could be making her scratch. He said he had never seen that reaction but anything is possible. She is down to 1 tablet every four days now - yea! and still doing great.

I'm having to give her 10 mg of predisone about every 36 hours to keep the scratching down. I mean she is just miserable without it. After all the predisone and imuran she has been on for so long I just hate to have to keep her on prednisone for anything. We tried an antihistimine - not benedryl - hydrocystine or something like that - and that didn't seem to work at all. But a benedryl every six hours does seem to help.

Archived