BC Boards

World Team

jdarling

From the USBCHA website ...

Jan. 26, 2010, 6:25 am Central Time

Barbara Levinson motioned that we choose the next world team by initiating and advertising an application process; and that once the applications are received, we implement the same selection criteria used in identifying the US world team in 2008, seconded by Bob Stephens.

Francis Raley, 1/26/10

I don't remember (or maybe I never knew) what the selection process was for 2008. Is there a link to it somewhere? Was 2008 the year the handlers had such trouble travelling to and from and it ended up costing many of the handlers a small fortune? What do you think of Barbara's suggestion? I know that one year people were saying that the world team seemed to be made up of those who could afford it and got in sort of by default. If there's any truth to that, would this help to avoid that?

Also, how much money, if any, do the USBCHA and/or the ABCA put into the world team in travel funds, etc.? And I'm sure I'm not the first to ask ... what about doing a fund raiser trial or something, maybe? (Pure genious, aren't I?) Is it something the HA cares that much about?

Throwin' it out there ...

Good question, Jodi. I have no clue, other than it seems to me that last time (yes, there were nightmare stories about getting dogs back into the US for major $$), when those at the top, points-wise, couldn't/wouldn't go, I vaguely remember that they went down the list (and down the list and down the list and down the list) until they found folks who could afford to go. Seems that the timing--in conflict with our Finals--is an issue,

A

It was the 2005 World Team that had such a problem. My understanding was that the people that did not make arrangements ahead of time to get thier dogs back home had problems, those that made arrangements for the return trip of thier dogs before they left, did not have any problems.

Here is a link to the USBCHA site of the selection process for the 2008 World Team

I was a member of the 2008 World Team, is it expensive, yes. Am I glad I went, yes. People held fund raisers for me which paid for getting my dog there and back. A friend went with me, so costs of B&B's and car were split.

It was the 2005 World Team that had such a problem. My understanding was that the people that did not make arrangements ahead of time to get thier dogs back home had problems, those that made arrangements for the return trip of thier dogs before they left, did not have any problems.

Here is a link to the USBCHA site of the selection process for the 2008 World Team

I was a member of the 2008 World Team, is it expensive, yes. Am I glad I went, yes. People held fund raisers for me which paid for getting my dog there and back. A friend went with me, so costs of B&B's and car were split.

I can't speak for the whole team, but in one case the authorites at the receiving airport could not find the mircrochip so turned the dog around and made it come home. The owners sent to the dog to the SF Airport where it was picked up. The dog came out for a "visit" to my ranch while in his sitter's care until the owner's return. And a microchip reader was used and the chip was found , slightly off the mark from where it would be expected. I believe the dog's owner let her daughter trial the other dog they took over there in her place.

In another case ( two cases I think) the arrangements were made correctly but the "agent" on the other end acted in a way that sounded a bit like extorsion, telling two different parties that the amount to fly home had changed ( up) and they had to pay him. Although I do not know why or the exact title of this person, one had to go through this person so it was not a case of bad planning, it was rather like being a mugging victim. Both parties were reimbursed by the airlines after they got home.

The last person I know of, from Canada, felt as though she were jerked around by the authorities at the receiving ariport as they did not care for how her paperwork read ( I think it had something to do with the flea application, but memory fails me exactly as to what she said) . Again a person who travels quite a bit with dogs apparently ran into a bit of a control freak.

None of these problems had anything to do with not being prepared. It seemed to be the trials and tribulations that some , not all, go through while traveling.

So in other words, all people on the team had dotted their i's and crossed their t's but stuff did happen out of their control.

Unlike some who have commented on some boards, I thought the make-up of this team had fine handlers and fine dogs. As in many trials , the end placings did not always reflect the work done by these dogs.

Just my thoughts on this subject, for what it's worth.

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Doggers,

Taking dogs into the UK is a nightmare. Paperwork is formidable and, no, you can't make tiny mistakes. Your vet probably hasn't done his part before so you have some education to do. Cheapest: Fly to Paris and take the Calais ferry to Dover. Probably won't be a next time for me but if -I'd rent a British left hand drive car in France. Dogs could ride in car on ferry.

Donald McCaig

• 2 weeks later...

Short of the fund raising efforts by friends that Nancy mentioned there is no sponsorship money for teams making the trek to the world trial. This is as Donald said a very expensive vacation costing close to $10K for anyone traveling with two dogs.

So yes the primary selection criteria has proved to be the willingness of the handler to foot the bill and not inconsiderable aggravation of the trip. While this is perhaps not the selection criteria we would chose in the best of all possible worlds I don't feel it has led to our being poorly represented. We have sent over some top teams and will continue to do so.

I think the biggest hurdle to our sending our best teams may well be the unfortunate dates selected by the ISDS that continually place the World Trial in conflict with the USBCHA National Finals.

When the conflicting dates, high costs, improbability of a successful performance and difficulty of the trip are added up we are selecting for our most determined teams. Not a bad criteria.

Beverly Lambert

Archived