BC Boards

Hope has mange.

I just returned from the vet, it is mange! :rolleyes: I am a nervous wreck now! She has been around my 2 bc's and moms 2 shelties and toy pooper err poodle. I am about to give her first treatment of Paramite dip. (another thing that is nerv wrecking, as i've never had to dip a dog b4. I'll look up some more info on the net b4 i actually do it. I am most concerned for Zag his staff infection has healed up, now i have to watch for mange. :D

I am curious if i wash all the dogs and keep them seperated from hope (for 6 weeks :D ) would that lessen the chances of them getting it? Also anyone know how contaigious

I guess the saying it true "No good deed goes unpunished) Sorry but i'm real worried about the rest of the dogs now.

If it is demodex mange you don't have to worry, it is not contagious between dogs.

If it is sarcoptic mange then it is pretty contagious to the other dogs and to you.

The vet should have specified which type it is. If the dips don't work well then you could ask about giving oral ivermectin every day for a month or so. It works great and you don't have to worry about the dangerous dips.

Olivia

Here's a good link about sarcoptic mange . A good friend of mine's pup got sarcoptic mange and he treated all 4 of his border collies with Revolution with good results (i.e., pup was "cured" and other dogs didn't get mange). The only problem he encountered was that no vets in our area carried Revolution so he had to get it from a cat vet about 1 hour away who gave him a hard time . . .

Kim

Please call your vet to be sure, but Hope looks exactly like Lexie did when we got her. Our vet diagnosed it w/in 2 seconds of looking at her (confirmed of course w/ a scrape).

I'm kind of surprised you are doing the treatment yourself though. You ought to check out the chemical you were given (handling precautions particularly) because whatever they used on Lexie required special protective gear for the person applying it and it was dangerous/toxic (esp. to other dogs) until completely dry. That would concern me most because as was stated the demodex is not a problem for other dogs or humans.

Please do not stress too much and good luck w/ little Hope...I totally love her name!!!!

Fooshuman,

A call to your vet in the morning may be in order, just to get the specifics. We used to use Paramite back in the dark ages as a flea dip. Dipping is not hard--the idea is just to make sure you soak all parts of the dog. Of course the easiest way is to actually dip the dog in a vat of whatever you're using, but that's rather impractical, so when I worked for a vet, we simply used a pitcher and poured it over the dog, using our hands to make sure all parts were soaked with the stuff. The easiest place to do this is in your tub. If you use an eye dropper to place mineral oil in Hope's eyes, they will be protected from shampoo and/or dip, which makes it easier to treat her face.

You can also check with your vet about taking preventive measures for the other dogs. Don't panic yet--they may not be infected after all. Also check with your vet about the need for keeping them separated. I would think that if you're treating Hope (great name, BTW) then she's less likely to transmit anything to the others, especially if you put them on Revolution.

K2R is probably talking about Mitaban dip, which is nasty stuff. If I had to choose between using that and using Ivermectin or anything else, I would choose Ivermectin or anything else....

Good luck.

J.

Thanks all! I already dipped Hope, she got to be tied up in my back yard for awhile.She was freaking out so i put her in Sydneys crate. Which i swear Syd is glad to have someone take her crate! She hates that thing. (Syd did enjoy being able to crash with me last night :rolleyes: ) She is the only one I trust unsupervised.

I am taking notes and gonna ask 100 questions tomorrow. Sorry when i am in a panic, I don't hear quite that well. (& I have poor hearing... damn heavy metal, loud machines, and poor ear protection)

Since i have your attention... They said to dip my 2 BC's as well, since they had the most exposure to Hope. I really disliked doing the dip, I suck at bathing them and felt paranoid about putting chemicals on them. Should i wait and get revolution for them? How do you apply it? Is it a pill, or like frontline+?

Again thanks all you have help ease my jitters alot :D

Revolution is applied topically between the shoulder blades (it's easy to use). Here's more info.

Just so you're prepared and don't freak more -- the itching doesn't stop immediately even though the mites are killed. This is because their little dead bodies are still in the skin. I know this from personal experience because I caught scabies from an undiagosed elderly patient when I was working on IV team in a hospital. If your dogs were mine, I would get Revolution tomorrow rather than dipping them if they are not symptomatic.

Kim

Thank you, stuff sounds to good to be true! hehehe I have to watch zag when he takes his heart worm meds. He learned to cough up pills when we were fighting the staff infection! That would replace both my frontline plus and interceptor :rolleyes: That makes Foo's a happy human

I know my vet hates you all LOL I must drive them good folks nuts!! But hey I trust alot of you people more then my own vets!

know this from personal experience because I caught scabies from an undiagosed elderly patient when I was working on IV team in a hospital

Kim I can sympathize as the same thing happened to me only I took it on my honeymoon to my new husband. May I say we looked pretty sleeping in our elemite.Sp?

Foo it will be ok plus I learned something new about the revolution.

This is a quote from the Sarcoptic Mange Link!

MILBEMYCIN OXIME (INTERCEPTOR? OR SENTINEL?) - Milbemycin Oxime is approved for heartworm prevention as a monthly oral treatment. Happily, it also has activity against sarcoptic mange and several protocols of varying success have been recommended by different dermatologists. This is another medication that one might find recommended
This is excellent! Although I will still try to get them all (even mom's) on it. Can you imagine the dough i'm gonna be forking out! LMAO good thing i don't care about money! I say as long as i can work, i'll have money to burn. (probably the real reason im single ladies! *well i can be abit of a donkey at times too!* Anyway :rolleyes: all dogs that are members of our pack are on it! I am looking in to this futher tho, this is interesting stuff!

And thanks to you all helping be less of a Mother Goose!

Kim I can sympathize as the same thing happened to me only I took it on my honeymoon to my new husband. May I say we looked pretty sleeping in our elemite.Sp?
Your HONEYMOON - oh my goodness! :eek: I'll never complain again!

Kim

Ugh, but you know, when I saw the pics, that is what I thought- looks like she has mange. But, the good news is there are lots of good treatments out there.

I have said it before, and it bears repeating- any of us who bring in strange/rescue animals without a known health history, need to keep them separated from our animals until they have had a complete work up at the vets. I learned this the hard way :rolleyes:

She is a really neat dog- good luck with her!

Julie

Well it is Sarcoptic mange. I called the vet and they are going to read up on revolution (for the 5 others) and call me later. I have been keeping them seperated. (not an easy task lol)

I called the pound as well and let them know it was mange and to watch the 2 other dogs she was bunked with. I didn't want to take her home until i got her to the vet first. The guy assured me it was from the hot concrete & fleas. (I honestly didnt know what mange looked like. now i do) And figured he knew what he was talking about, it was nice to tell him he doesn't.

Anyway all seems well thus far. Hope is crated at my house Zag is crated here at mom's, and Syd my darling rescue is the only one i trust unsupervised. Well i need to bring Hope out now so she can stretch and move around.

Thank you all for the helpful advice. My vet was kind of shocked i came back knowing a lil something something about this now. :rolleyes: You all rock!

After this is settled I think they all earned a trip to the creek. :D

I spoke with my vet, she said Revolution used for preventing this can be dangerous. She said something about ivermectin building up or being unable to pass thru their systems. I am tempted to take a wait and see approach with the others, *all 5 of them* and continue with dipping Hope. None of them seem to be itching more then usual. I will keep a close eye on them, and pray they aren't punished for my good deed. *on a side note* I haven't been able to stop itching since learning I can get it! LOL I know its all in my head but WOW that freaks me out!*

I have Hope quarintined off. Zag and Syd think im being unreasonable. I can tell they want to play with Hope. Hope is taking it well tho. SHe is so mellow, even after being locked in a crate for 4 hours. She went out did her duty and wanted back in the house. I am trying to devide my time 1/2 hour here then there. Once she is healthy she will make someone a wonderful companion. I am taking this time to teach her how to play with toys. She actually tugged on a pull rope today. Of course when i praised her she dropped it and wanted some lovings. I really hope she recovers quickly, I can see myself getting attached to her easily. <--- *slaps self*

If you choose the Revolution route then it is only 2 dosages 2 weeks apart. Don't really see how ivermectin can build up in their systems enough to be dangerous.

I've seen Revolution used for treating mange with no problems, including in my own purebred border collie.

I've never heard of paramite dip being used for sarcoptic mange. How often are you dipping? Maybe it works well but I would rather do 2 dosages of a spot on treatment and be done with it.

If you want to try it I would press my vet to reasearch more or call your local vet school for information to present to your vet.

Olivia

Hey, Fooshuman...check out the Health & Genetics page. Mark from Pipedream farm put a great post regarding heartworm medication which Revolution is as well. Perhaps you can print it for your vet.

SELAMECTIN (REVOLUTION?) - Selamectin is an ivermectin derivative recently marketed for the control of fleas, roundworms, hookworms, ticks, ear mites and sarcoptic mange mites. Normal monthly use of this product should prevent a sarcoptic mange problem but to clear an actual infection studies show an extra dose is usually needed after 2 weeks for reliable results. This product is probably the best choice for Collie or Australian shepherd breeds. Click here for more information from the manufacturer on Revolution.
From the article I referred you to earlier (I've added the italics). The reason my friend's vet (and mine) recommended Revolution because of its relative safety in collie breeds, although there is scientific evidence that this is probably not as big a problem in border collies as originally thought.

Kim