BC Boards

New treat-releasing toy

I was at the pet store today buying dog food, and saw a display of a new (to us) treat-releasing toy:

http://www.caninegenius.com/

Couldn't resist buying the one they call "Leo", as Duncan will likely spend more time than usual crated next week (DH will be undergoing open-heart surgery; we have scheduled a dogwalker to come by to give him an hour's walk each day for the week DH is in the hospital, but Duncan'll be crated the rest of the time as he's still a pup). They're a lot more challenging to empty than a Kong. Duncan can empty even a Kong stuffed with frozen kibble mush within half an hour, but so far he's been working on the Leo for three hours and counting (part of which time he might have been asleep; I wasn't home). So I guess he'd give it a "paws up".

The instructions (which I didn't read until after I'd given it to him, stuffed with his standard kibble) say to stuff with small treats at first, then progress to larger ones as he learns to empty it. You can even connect several together to increase the level of challenge.

I purchased the mini one by accident and have to return it. They look really good....and I cant wait to watch Shiloh figure it out. A few weeks ago we brought home a treat ball.... he looked a bit frustrated so we showed him how to roll it once- big mistake- now he knows the exact angle to roll it on and it is no longer a challenge for him :rolleyes: oops!

I purchased the mini one by accident and have to return it. They look really good....and I cant wait to watch Shiloh figure it out. A few weeks ago we brought home a treat ball.... he looked a bit frustrated so we showed him how to roll it once- big mistake- now he knows the exact angle to roll it on and it is no longer a challenge for him :rolleyes: oops!

Drawbacks of having Border Collies , LOL..

Keep in mind that the necks of the Leos are vulnerable to shredding - Z had hers pretty badly ripped up after about 10 minutes of chewing. The Mikes are a hit here.

The shelter got a nice donation of Leos from the manufacturer about 2 years ago and many are still going strong - we sawed off the necks to avoid problems, but the dogs still love them sans necks.