BC Boards

building a kennel

Hello, we're building a kennel - chain link sectioned into two pens....in the mud room for the pups -- their crates are about 20" by 30" inches (Robin's is a size larger because he inherited Scotty's crate and I'd gotten him the giagundo size so he could stand up in it). Brodie is 40 pounds, Robin is 48 (though ken swears he's more) and both stand about 22" at their shoulders. Both are about 34" from tip of nose to base of tail and they are 9 1/2 months old

How big do you think each pen should be?

Liz

For dogs that size I'd be using crates that are at least 36" long, so 36" by 24" would likely be the minimum for a kennel, but you wouldn't be gaining anything if crates are the same size as the runs, so assuming the dogs are housetrained I'd make them as large as you can/want.

Another consideration is how much time they'll be spending in them. If it's just till they dry off, etc., then they don't need to be real large, but if they'll be haning out in them some, bigger is better!

J.

Their current crates are indeed 36 inches long and that's just enough room for them to lay down sideways. They're house trained so, as you say, the bigger the better. (I'm still towel drying these critters. Robin expects it from all those puppy baths and Brodie's getting into it now that the snow is here. Ladybug wants whatever they get, so getting them into the house is quite a project.)

They'll be in there overnight until we get the cat trained to not bother them -- in other words, forever :rolleyes: and while we're away from home. They're getting pretty good about staying out of mischief when I'm moving about the house and doing something interesting, but I'd not trust them loose when I wasn't watching for a good long time.

I"m thinking four feet by four feet at this point is about as much space as we have without some major remodeling.

We have 6x3 foot bays in our kennel, the dogs love having a dog house in them preferring the privacy to the space. In your situation I would just go with large plastic crates, easier to pick them up and clean in and around them then the bays.

Deb

Actually Debbie's comments made me think of something. Brodie and Robin already don't get along. If you go with the kennel idea, you really should plan to put a solid divider between the two kennels so the dogs can't make faces at one another and make their relationship worse.

J.

I should have mentioned that, when we built the two new bays we put a solid wall between the two. Even with the wall they still like their dog houses.

The other thing we did was only made them 4 foot tall and then capped them with a flip up top, that way we have storage above them. If you make the fronts removeable makes cleaning bunches easier too.

I should have mentioned that, when we built the two new bays we put a solid wall between the two. Even with the wall they still like their dog houses.

The other thing we did was only made them 4 foot tall and then capped them with a flip up top, that way we have storage above them. If you make the fronts removeable makes cleaning bunches easier too.

Good suggestions - I had thought of putting a panel between the kennels, though the two are getting along better since Robin's bullying has been severely curtailed, there's no sense in providing fuel for the fire. They are side by side now, but they can't see each other -- I've got one crate flipped so the ventalator's are on the top of the crate. I did that when we first brought them home for my convenience - the doors open like bat wings.

The flip top...that's a great idea! I'm having to shift everything under, on, and above the workbench to do this, though why I'm storing a fog machine from the 8th grade haunted house I have no idea! My son is 29 this year! And does anybody want three boxes of eight track tapes - music from the seventies....the only thing we have to play them is Ken's old 79 Lincoln and that hasn't been out of its bay in five years at least!

And yes, I had thought about a small pen for the cat. She goes in her crate when we have company as well. I'm always nervous about her darting out when we have a houseful and cars are pulling in and out. Plus, oddly enough, there are some people who just don't like cats :rolleyes:. I think when we consolidate the two ancient freezers into one big energy efficient one, I'll create a space for her as well (shh, don't tell my husband :D.

Didja ever notice that no matter what little project it is, it always costs "about $300" (we already have the chain link, so only need to buy gates, hinges and posts)

Happy New Year everyone!

Liz

Didja ever notice that no matter what little project it is, it always costs "about $300" (we already have the chain link, so only need to buy gates, hinges and posts)

We saved alot of money by using recycled materials. It amazing how many people give away chain link panels that have one rusted pipe. I've replaced pipes in 6 foot tall panel and have broken down others to make new smaller panels. Typically they have all the hardware with them. Also, recycling top pipe and hardware from people that remove fencing from their yard works, especially gates. Most are real easy to make narrower, just need an inexpensive pipe cutter or if your lucky you have access to a chop saw, though a sawsall or jig saw with metal blades all work too. You will want to grind the ends of the pipe to smooth any rough spots

This last fall one of my students tore out their yard fence, luckily we were there when all the fencing was sitting out at the curb waiting for the garbage truck. One awesome Wards gate with all the hardware and some really good pipe.

Also, if someone in the family has a welder and can weld for you, welding the panel joints will save you buying connecting hardware.

Another option is to watch craigslist in your area or even post a wanted ad to Freecycle, we just sold 3 in the box 7 x 7 x 4 kennels that included all the hardware for $75 each, you couldn't buy all the hardware, pipe & fencing for that, granted they would need some pipe cutting and customization but your probably going to have to do that anyway. I wouldn't have sold them exept I was able to replace them with a really nice custom built three bay run unit for $150, figured sell the little ones to pay for my big one.

This so hits home, we joke that we will be arrested if we try to leave the local improvement warehouse for under $100. If you are serious about the 8-tracks, the guy who bought my in-law's '69 Chrysler Newport convertable would love to have them, he had someone fix his player.

Good luck with the project, I will be going away the week my husband decides to repair the "renovations" that Buster made in the garage, but that hopefully will be years from now.

This so hits home, we joke that we will be arrested if we try to leave the local improvement warehouse for under $100. If you are serious about the 8-tracks, the guy who bought my in-law's '69 Chrysler Newport convertable would love to have them, he had someone fix his player.

Good luck with the project, I will be going away the week my husband decides to repair the "renovations" that Buster made in the garage, but that hopefully will be years from now.

I'll ask, but Ken will probably keep the tapes along with that darned car.....he hasn't gotten over the fact that his mother sold his first ragtop mustang for a $100 years ago after he bought a new one and abandoned the old one on her side lawn, and our son insists the Lincoln is his first car - Ken did give it to him to drive. So there it sits in the back bay of the garage, which was supposed to be for storage of his contracting equipment etc. , rusting away because my husband is a contractor, not a mechanic. :rolleyes: My guys insist its a collector -- it's a full sized Lincoln town car, but its a two door!

We'll start as soon as I get the bench cleared off...

Happy new year!

Liz