BC Boards

Scooter's down again

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my favorite things about this board is the level of caring and support given when one of our pups has problem. So I'm hoping and praying for you that Scooter's problem is something easily fixable. Get better soon Scooter, you have alot of folks rooting for you.

Nothing from the vet yet. He should have been done by now. I'm going to call them. And our furnace just died. Is this 2009 getting it's last sadistic licks in before the new year?!!! :D:rolleyes::D

Thanks Bustopher... I am a praying person too and I prayed it with ya...where 2 or 3 are gathered in His name...

“Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in Heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18:19-20)

Thank you for your support; hopefully, together we have made a greater difference than one alone can achieve.

Talked to the vet. She said he did really well with the anesthesia. Praise God! The problem appears to be the hip dysplasia that is is "significantly worse" than the last time they took x-rays (without putting him under). Other than that, she found nothing else wrong. All blood work came back good. Wants to start him on Deramaxx (the lowest dose first), Utram/Tramadol as needed for pain, and PhyCox supplements. He's been on a Glucosamine Chondroitin supplement for quite a while now, but not this one.

Said he'll probably have good days and bad days. He could go for months with no problem then step wrong and he'd be limping around again. The weight loss didn't hurt (a total of fifteen pounds since March I believe). :D Walks, low impact exercise and swimming would be good, but there's nowhere around here right now for him to swim. The one place that did have a therapeutic pool closed down. I'm going to see if I can find an acupuncturist too. Asked her about hip replacement and she said he's certainly young enough but would like to try this other regimen for now.

Going to pick him up in a few minutes. The house was so quiet without him here. Fell asleep (got none last night) and kept dreaming about him. Will be good to have my guy back home.

I just can't say thank you enough to everyone who so kindly responded to my S.O.S. I was very touched and could feel the good vibes coming through. I just kept thinking how often I've seen Board Mojo work. And once again, it did.

I don't know what I'd do without my Border Collie Board family!

Love,

Pam, T and Scooter

P.S.--If anyone has any advice or experience with Deramaxx, please weigh in on the subject. I know it's an anti-inflammatory similar to Rimadyl with some of the same side effects. Is one better/safer than the other?

And oh yeah--the furnace guy can't get here till eight o'clock tonight! BRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! That's okay-I've got my Scooter to keep me warm! :rolleyes:

Just checking. So sorry bout the furnace. Let's hope the new year brings good tidings to you all around.

I won't ask for news, I'm sure you'll tell us when you know but good mojo and prayers are coming from CO for Scooter.

3 out of my 4 dogs have been on Deramaxx at one time or another. My acd gets it most often since she has had 2 TPLOs and she gets sore. Deramaxx is supposed to be easier on the body than the rimadyl. None of my dogs had had reactions to either. My acd weighs about 29lbs and gets about 25mg when needed. I get the 100mg tabs and break them into 1/4s as it is cheaper for me to do it this way. We get them from our holistic vet who is actually a equine vet by trade.

Acupuncture has done wonders for my acd and toy poodle.

We also give DGP full time. I have noticed a big difference with my toy poodle but not so much with the acd. When I have forgotten to order a new round of it ( I order 8 bottles at a time) and my poodle does not receive it for a couple weeks you can notice a big difference. He has back issues.

Anyways, sorry the HD is getting worse.

Pam, never underestimate the power of the "ultimate" mojo; while the news is not perfect, it is still far short of your bad feeling. :rolleyes:

Hey, martySQ, it seems that we make a pretty good team. :D

AMEN!!!! :D I'm a believer!! :D

{{{{hugs}}}} to you and Scooter. Hope you hear soon so your wait is through.

Thanks Bustopher... I am a praying person too and I prayed it with ya...where 2 0r 3 are gathered in His name...

Thanks to you and Bustopher and everyone who prayed for us. The outcome could have been a lot worse. At least it's manageable. It's good to finally know what's going on instead of "it could be his back", etc. At least now we have a starting point and a plan of action.

He seems a bit tired right now, but he's had quite the day! :D

Thanks again! Some day I'd like to meet all you wonderful people in person! :rolleyes:

Pam

Deramaxx is what the vet prescribed Kes when at 8mo or so he messed up a shoulder muscle and needed NSAIDs and rest for a week. We had no trouble with it at all - not even a hint of an upset tummy and at that time he had a touchy tummy.

Sorry the news isn't what you want, but like others I'm glad it's not another condition you have to worry about. Acupuncture is a great idea imo and I've heard great things about the DGP that Kim mentioned.

So glad to hear that they were able to diagnose Scooter's problem! (Having been in the situation where I once paid $750 for "inconclusive" X-rays for which, incidentally, the ortho vet said "what do you mean, inconclusive!?!? look right there!", I can attest to the absence of a diagnosis not being much fun).

Hopefully the new regimen will help get Scooter's lameness under control quickly. Have you considered Adequan injections? If you're interested, I could forward some info sent to me by another board member that helped convince me to give it a try. It's much cheaper if you order it online and give the shots yourself. Our vet showed us how to do it; a piece of cake, really, and at the rate we're going through it, one order (of two 5-mL vials) will last nearly six months.

One caveat: if you want to combine this with DGP, check with your vet first. The DGP website says that one ingredient, feverfew, has anti-clotting properties, as does Adequan.

Sorry to hear about the furnace. They only go out when it's REALLY cold, don't they? Hopefully it's easily repaired. We had to have a new furnace installed last year and it wasn't fun (or cheap). This year our problem seems to be the roof - I woke up a couple of weeks ago with rain falling on my face. Hey, what do they say, "it never rains but it pours?"