BC Boards

Scooter's down again

Yesterday morning Scooter was up, had breakfast, went outside, came back in and played with his toys, then laid down next to the couch and I petted him and we cuddled, just like every morning. When he got up, I noticed he was suddenly limping. That was around 9 a.m. I gave him half a 100 mg. Rimdadyl, hoping to catch it before it got too bad. But, by 11:30, he was limping so badly he could barely walk at all. I gave him the other half of the pill and we got him upstairs and blocked off the room so he wouldn't run up and down the steps. No problem. He laid in the recliner and slept till around 5 p.m. when he jumped up and went downstairs for dinner. No limp. His usual happy self. Probably the meds.

This morning when DH got up at 6:00 he said it looked like Scooter had vomited sometime during the night. By the time I got to it, he had already cleaned it up and thrown away the evidence. He's not real good at observing bodily fluids, etc. and just said it was kind of small and gray and dry. He seemed fine otherwise though so I fed him and we played a little catch with him--no jumping. I went back to bed for an hour and when I got up he was lying on the floor in the office. Not real excited to see me. Laid there for a few hours until we went outside for a few minutes. Came in limping. Nephew stopped in and he ran down the steps to greet him, then went in to the living room and once again laid down and fell asleep. Definitely not like him.

We have an appointment with his vet at 6:10 p.m. today. They're squeezing us in. He's lying on the floor downstairs right now, looking lethargic, eyes drooping like he's ready to go to sleep. I just have this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that something is seriously wrong with my boy. :rolleyes:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm so sorry Scooter's having problems. I wanted to mention problems Lacee had about a year ago with limping. It went on for months, nobody could find anything wrong. I was told Glucosamine works wonders. I figured it couldn't hurt, so I started giving her Joint Rescue by Ark Naturals. She stopped limping about two weeks into taking it and hasn't limped since. I give her one tablet per day.

One other thought....has your doctor tested for Lyme? That can cause lameness if it isn't caught soon enough.

Just a couple of suggestions. Good luck and keep us updated. I'm keeping Scooter in my thoughts.

I'm so sorry to hear this - poor Scooter! I hope the vet is soon able to reassure you.

This may not be the explanation, but I was reading up today about Rimadyl; it can cause GI problems (among other things). This may not show up immediately. It can also cause liver problems; apparently many vets recommend regular bloodwork to check whether this is the case. (My regular vet hasn't, which is one of many reasons why I'm thinking of changing my regular vet). Anyway, if Scooter is on Rimadyl on a regular basis, it may be worth asking about.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Poor scooter. I'm sure he will be ok. Thankfully your vet worked him in. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Thoughts and prayers headed scooter's way.

Poor Scooter. He was shaking in the waiting room. He never does that. I'm thinking he was in a lot of pain since he doesn't usually get upset at the vet's. He looks so sad.

Vet did a quick exam and we decided the best thing is to have him anesthetized so they can do more detailed x-rays while he's under. They'll be looking at his hips, back and legs. Took him off Rimadyl, even though he'd only had one; she was concerned with the vomiting. Please continue to pray for us. I started to cry in the office and told her the way things had been going this month, I was sure he was dying. She started crying too! :rolleyes: Told me sometimes she believes in intuition, but we'd know more tomorrow. She hugged me and said "No charge tonight."

So, he goes in at 7:30 tomorrow morning. She's going to use a very light anesthetic since he didn't do well when he was neutered. I should know something by tomorrow afternoon.

I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight.

She doubted it was TBD, but if everything comes out normal, that could be a possibility. We don't really have much of a tick problem here.

I'll let you know as soon as I find out anything. Thanks my friends.

Poor Scooter. He was shaking in the waiting room. He never does that. I'm thinking he was in a lot of pain since he doesn't usually get upset at the vet's. He looks so sad.

I hope they gave him something for pain? Vala is on tramadol or something like that for pain right now after her heartworm shot. If they didn't maybe they can tomorrow morning? Obviously something that doesn't bother his stomach. Poor Scooter.

Vet did a quick exam and we decided the best thing is to have him anesthetized so they can do more detailed x-rays while he's under. They'll be looking at his hips, back and legs. Took him off Rimadyl, even though he'd only had one; she was concerned with the vomiting. Please continue to pray for us. I started to cry in the office and told her the way things had been going this month, I was sure he was dying. She started crying too! :rolleyes: Told me sometimes she believes in intuition, but we'd know more tomorrow. She hugged me and said "No charge tonight."

I know the feeling you mean - it's a horrible feeling - but although sometimes I've had it and it turns out I was right, other times it has turned out I was just paranoid. We'll hope for the latter. How wonderful that your vet has enough empathy about Scooter to express it so clearly and be so kind about the charge. I will keep you and Scooter in my thoughts.

I hope they gave him something for pain? Vala is on tramadol or something like that for pain right now after her heartworm shot.

She told me to go ahead and give him a Tramadol for pain this evening if I thought he needed it. I gave it to him with his dinner when we got home at 7:00--he looked so miserable. Seems to have taken the edge off at least.

I know, most of the time when I think the worst, I'm wrong. If ever there was a time I hope to be wrong, it's now... :rolleyes:

Sending good thoughts and prayers your and Scooter's way. Hopefully they can find the problem and fix it. Could the Rimadly be related to his tummy probs? I know it is rough on their tummy and liver. Had a dog on and off of it for like 5 yrs.

I know you say ticks aren't very prevelant around there but if they don't find something with the exam I'd suggest putting him on Doxy just in case. He could of gotten the small tick when traveling and fallen off and you'd never have know. When Mick presented with Lyme and Rocky Mountain he had some horrible things going on and I went through over 4 vets and 6 months or longer getting the diag. At one point they caught a growth plate just right on the xray so they said he had a hairline fracture of his front leg. But the limping was so intermitent that was ruled out quickly. If I'd of known then what I know now I'd have demaned (or at least asked) for Doxy. Usually can't hurt unless there's something major going on with his GI or some other thing that might have him to compromised for Doxy although Mick had just about every symptom you could imagine.

Looking back when Mick was quite young I had taken him out of town to KY for a trial (just to watch) and shortly after he came up with the bulls eye rash they talk about on his front paw. I took him to the vet for that and they gave me some kind of antibiotic powder. It didn't help but with in about 2 weeks it went away, the rest of the symptoms didn't show up for quite some time.

It's the part that when he's fine, he's fine. That's so TBD if you ask me.

Prayers to you and your boy. Let us know ASAPlease

Thanks for the update. All of us here are keeping him in our thoughts and prayers tonight. I am the same way. I'm really easy going and don't worry a lot but if one of my dogs act sick or different I'm nervous as heck. I hope everything goes ok. I'll be checking tomorrow to see how he does. Give him a hug for me and my gang.

Dropped him off around eight this morning. They put us in a room with three leather chairs, rather than the one with the bench that he's used to which allows him to sit next to me. He kept trying to get to me and finally jumped into my lap, put his paws around my neck and kept hugging and kissing me. Yeah, that made it easy to leave. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't take long once they put him under. Just waiting for a phone call now...

So, he goes in at 7:30 tomorrow morning. She's going to use a very light anesthetic since he didn't do well when he was neutered. I should know something by tomorrow afternoon.

I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight.

She doubted it was TBD, but if everything comes out normal, that could be a possibility. We don't really have much of a tick problem here.

I'll let you know as soon as I find out anything. Thanks my friends.

First of all, good thoughts and prayers are headed out for Scooter. Please let us know how he's doing later.

Second of all, what a great vet.

Hang in there!

It's good that they are doing these diagnostics-as this may well mean, they can treat meaningfully. One thing- when I had surgery, and got knocked out, it was actually very pain relieving on me, as the body goes a bit numb. I would call and ask if he can get some pain meds on board before he leaves, in case they did a lot of pulling, pushing etc. Sounds like he is in very good hands. Hugs to you and Scoot.

Invoking the ultimate mojo...

Heavenly Father,

Please help bc4ever in her time of need.

You have made her the guardian of Scooter.

If it is Your will, please restore him to health and strength.

I pray too for other animals in need.

May they be treated with the care and respect deserving of all Your creation.

Blessed are You, Lord God, and holy is Your name forever and ever.

Amen.