BC Boards

Canine Freestyle

First off, I love the freestyle sport. I had been working on a routine with Kellie to "Eye of the Tiger" before I lost her, and that was by far the most difficult one to choreograph. Maverick has danced with me to David Bowie's "Magic Dance" and Rascal Flatt's "Stand" and both of those were fairly easy.

Anyway, I wanted to do something special for our local Boy Scout pack meeting and Christmas party. In between classes, work, and puppy play, I worked out a nice little routine to Alvin and the Chipmunks singing "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" with Kayzie in mind.

We stared practicing the routine in October. After a brief scare where she got sick for almost two weeks from drinking paint (apparently red is best flavor :rolleyes: ), we got back to practicing 4 days before the show. I was a bit worried she wasn't going to perform like she should, I mean we had a little less than 8 weeks to practice the dance.

The day of the dance (the 15th) I had to cut out some of the more difficult tricks when KZ looked at me like I was on drugs for wanting her to go around me in a circle and spin at three points. But we finally got on stage, it was her first time being in the school, and you would've thought she was born knowing the routine.

Not an ounce of stage fright in that little pup.

We were the lead in for Santa and Mrs. Claus, who are usually the highlights of the party (we are talking about kids after all). KZ completely stole the show. The kids didn't even notice Santa's arrival until the third time it was announced even with Santa on the other side of the stage. Normally Santa gets a crowd after the presents have all been passed out and the kids are heartbroken to see him go. This year, the boys met Santa, got their pinewood derby cars, and gravitated to KZ where they had a blast getting her to do some of the same tricks they saw her do on stage and I showed them a few others. Even the adults came over to KZ.

I feel kinda bad that we showed up Santa (especially since Mrs. Claus was with him this year), but d@mn I am proud of my little girl. I think her debute was a huge success. We'll have to figure out something for next year to fade KZ off in the backgroud so the spotlight can be on Santa and then maybe bring her back out after Santa leaves.

I feel kinda bad that we showed up Santa (especially since Mrs. Claus was with him this year), but d@mn I am proud of my little girl. I think her debute was a huge success. We'll have to figure out something for next year to fade KZ off in the backgroud so the spotlight can be on Santa and then maybe bring her back out after Santa leaves.

Santa: "Hey! That's the dog that herded my reindeer!"

KZ: RUFF! RUFF RUFF! *spins and jumps off backstage*

:rolleyes:

What a cute story.

post-2074-1262113914_thumb.jpgJester and I do freestyle. It is a blast. We have a club here in Tucson. We practice together, and we do performances all over town for schools and events and so on. The club is non-profit; we just love getting together and dancing with our dogs together, and helping each other with our routines. Jester has enjoyed this more than any other sport activity we have done together.

Speaking of Freestyle, today I sent off an entry to a Freestyle competition for . . . three dogs/four routines!!

C R A Z Y!!!!

I've been competing for a few years now, but I've only ever taken one dog and done one routine!!

I do run two dogs in a day in Agility and I have been doing Rally with two dogs in a day, but Freestyle is different. First of all, you have to plan and choreograph each routine ahead of time. We are in the process right now. All four routines - one of which is recycled (for Speedy, of course!) and three of which are brand new!! Then they all have to be individually costumed. I have one done and I just got some material to start on a second. I enjoy costuming, and winter is a good time to do a lot of sewing!

The day of the competition is going to be nuts. I have to remember four routines and remember the particularities of each dog. And there will be four costume changes.

But it's going to be fun. I'm already having a blast getting ready for this thing!!

You are NUTS Kristine! LOL!!!

But that does sound like a lot of fun. Are you going to tape it? What level and events do you compete in? KZ's at very basic heelwork to music, but we can do it off lead. So, nothing really fancy just yet, I'm just stoked she focuses on me and not everyone else at this point.

I've only ever done it for fun, so no competing just yet. Mainly I use freestyle and agility as a way to show people the fun they can have with dogs and to entertain. Of course, the extra business my obedience classes get after a show is nice too.

Good luck with your competition! You'll have to let us know how it goes :rolleyes:

I plan to tape it, but WCFO prohibits us from posting competition performances on Youtube. However, I plan to do a dress rehearsal and if I do, I'll video and I could post that.

Speedy needs one more leg of Novice in Heelwork to Music and he's in Intermediate in Freestyle. Intermediate is tough because the dog has to work on four sides of you and they want NO hand cues.

Dean is a beginner. He has one leg in beginner.

Maddie is even more of a beginner, in spite of the fact that she is older than both of them! She just started Freestyle last fall! But she's been my Agility dog for years. She will be doing Beginner in the Sassy Seniors division. The dog has to be nine years old to compete in that division!

I'll definitely let you know how it goes!! Getting ready is going to make the next three months fly by!

I plan to tape it, but WCFO prohibits us from posting competition performances on Youtube. However, I plan to do a dress rehearsal and if I do, I'll video and I could post that.

Speedy needs one more leg of Novice in Heelwork to Music and he's in Intermediate in Freestyle. Intermediate is tough because the dog has to work on four sides of you and they want NO hand cues.

Dean is a beginner. He has one leg in beginner.

Maddie is even more of a beginner, in spite of the fact that she is older than both of them! She just started Freestyle last fall! But she's been my Agility dog for years. She will be doing Beginner in the Sassy Seniors division. The dog has to be nine years old to compete in that division!

I'll definitely let you know how it goes!! Getting ready is going to make the next three months fly by!

What is the reason for the ban on posting freestyle videos on You Tube?

I think it's because of music rights.

Don't think its music rights, unless it works differently in the US, but i posted a video the other day with music in it and received an email telling me that because i don't own the rights to the music then an advertisement will be shown alongside my video...

Don't think its music rights, unless it works differently in the US, but i posted a video the other day with music in it and received an email telling me that because i don't own the rights to the music then an advertisement will be shown alongside my video...

It's not just because of Youtube, though. WCFO has licenses that allow the use of copyrighted music at their competitions. I think there are rules - because of those licenses - that prohibit use of the music in those performances beyond the context of those performances. That's why the rule doesn't apply if I video my own dress rehearsal outside of the exact competition context.