BC Boards

Raven maybe finial update...

Its been about 4 months...

Raven is a really sweet girl. She wants to be right and loves to please. She has started learning how to play border collies games with zeal. She has an AWESOME recalls. She is kennel train also(not sure if that matters). She listen really well while we are hiking. Working on her stay's while excited. I even got her at her ideal weight. She already knows some basic obedience. And is picking up agility handling (haven't started obstacle). Plus she is UTD on vaccine.

But the issue is she just doesn't fit in my pack or me. If Raven is loose I can't play too much with either of my dogs without her going after them. Especially with Cressa whenever Cress starts playing Raven will try to bully her to stop. That and Cressa just doesn't like her. I feel almost paranoid that they might have one of those legendary b*tch fight.

She also just drives me crazy with her incessant clinging and neediness but I think that is more she just wants "her" special person.She would do better without cats and another border collie b*tch.

I contacted her pervious owner to return her... her responce was something like "it wouldn't be fair to the dog since she would be left outside again if I return her. So could I find another home" :rolleyes: *thank doG

I was hoping my dad would take her but he doesn't think he will have time for her.

Here a pix of Raven (if it will work)

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

So my question is what should I know or do to fine her a better life? ANy question I should ask? Anything to look out for?

Go with your gut in most cases. If you wouldn't allow the person to dog sit your dogs, then don't adopt out to that person.

For Raven, I would check that they had a dog before and know something about border collies. Ask for a vet reference and check up on it (mine wrote an awesome letter for me when I went to get KZ. It went beyond the usual "all her animals are UTD on shots" and into my training and qualifications).

Ask if they have ever had to relinquish or euthanize a pet and why.

I ask how they train because there are some methods I see as abuse and I will not knowingly put any dog I adopt out through it.

Ask where Raven will be housed if it's important to you. I ask anyway. And visit the home.

Make sure you ask for an adoption fee, this will help weed out those people looking for a cheap dog for the kids to play with until they get bored.

Often times, I will tell the owner the worse habits/issues the dog has and gage the reaction. The one's I feel comfortable with are those that can give me a workable solution to the problem that helps the dog. Most of the time the rest just never call back after the initial meeting. It has worked for me so far. I only have had one dog returned and it was because of outside influences on the family that prevented them from paying her medical bills anymore.

I know she's driving you nuts, but don't settle for anyone who will take her, that never works well. She deserves a good home so hold out until you find one you like (and perhaps even a bit envious of :rolleyes: )

Good luck!

You know this already, because you said it yourself, but just to emphasize, it sounds like all of her issues will only come out if she goes to a multiple pet home. You could tell potential adopters what those issues are, and how loyal she is, and how she's really a single-pet house kind of dog. She's beautiful, and she sounds smart, so she definitely has potential to win over hearts that aren't already taken. You know there's a rescue side to this board...?

Honestly, I know it's a lot of trouble for you, but I'm glad the first people didn't take her back. I think you'll find her a better home!

• 1 month later...
You know this already, because you said it yourself, but just to emphasize, it sounds like all of her issues will only come out if she goes to a multiple pet home. You could tell potential adopters what those issues are, and how loyal she is, and how she's really a single-pet house kind of dog. She's beautiful, and she sounds smart, so she definitely has potential to win over hearts that aren't already taken. You know there's a rescue side to this board...?

Honestly, I know it's a lot of trouble for you, but I'm glad the first people didn't take her back. I think you'll find her a better home!

I am that that first person and I love Raven with all my heart and that's why I decided to place her. She is a wonderful dog in all ways that count. I didn't leave her outside what I mean't was during the day and that's where she wanted to be but thought she would be much better in a home that would work her. After I found her a home she was a total house dog and not brought in at night just to sleep or if it was too hot or cold out. She was obedience trained and show trained from the start. I had her evaluated before she was place to make sure she would get along with other dogs and she did awesome. She was very well taken care of and loved. I just thought she would be great in a working home. Sorry just wanted to get this clear that she was NEVER abused in any way and was loved by all of us. I told the new owner if she couldn't find another home I would take her back but I didn't want her to be an outside dog again.

Thanks for listening to me go on...

Roanne