BC Boards

New puppy, new to board!

First off, hello from Arizona!

We just adopted an eight + week old male BC mix. He is from a sheep grazing area in AZ and looks every bit like a smooth BC, but as he is still a puppy and an adopted stray. He is bright, energetic, already herding the cat and is learning his "Pee(s) and Q's" very well.

While he may not totally be a BC, I prefer to assume he is, concerning his training. That way, if he turns out to be the intelligent, trainable, high energy boy that he looks to be, we have him trained (hopefully) right.

While my wife's family used to train and show dogs (obedience), I still would like to find a good book on training Border Collies, can someone suggest one?

Hi Lewis,

Other than training for stockwork, I don't think there's any particular book for basic training that is specific to border collies. If you've trained dogs before, then you ought not to have any problem training this pup. Most respond well to positive training methods (as opposed to some of the older "force" methods). They will often offer behaviors on their own and then you can just put names to actions. Border collies are fast learners, and they will learn bad habits just as easily as they will learn good ones, so you'll need to be careful not to inadvertently train things you don't really want. Start with not letting him bother the cat. :rolleyes:

And welcome to the boards.

J.

Guest echoica
First off, hello from Arizona!

We just adopted an eight + week old male BC mix. He is from a sheep grazing area in AZ and looks every bit like a smooth BC, but as he is still a puppy and an adopted stray. He is bright, energetic, already herding the cat and is learning his "Pee(s) and Q's" very well.

While he may not totally be a BC, I prefer to assume he is, concerning his training. That way, if he turns out to be the intelligent, trainable, high energy boy that he looks to be, we have him trained (hopefully) right.

While my wife's family used to train and show dogs (obedience), I still would like to find a good book on training Border Collies, can someone suggest one?

Welcome! Let's see some pictures! :rolleyes:

Congratulations and kudos for adopting a pup that needed a caring and forever family!

You might like to try a puppy class (and later a family dog class) that will help you learn the skills to teach your youngster the manners that will help him be an enjoyable member of the family. For now (other than the cat issue!) it sounds like you are all off to a good start.

Best wishes!

Thanks everyone! Our goal is to first train him to be a good family member, then a good citizen (works and plays well with others....no matter the species). I'd also like to give him enough stimulation so that he doesn't get bored so I'm going to try frisbee....a pastime fom college.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get to my home computer, but so far...he won't stand still for the camera! I have lots where he is looking away or only half in the frame. As for the cat....she is taking it well and occupying the high ground.

Congrats on the new puppy!

You might want to get a copy of Pat Miller's "The Power of Positive Dog Training". It's definitely appropriate for puppies. In addition to being user friendly and straightforward, the book includes a six week "basic manners" type program at the end of the book. It would be a fantastic place to start with any puppy.

I wish you the best.

I'd also like to give him enough stimulation so that he doesn't get bored so I'm going to try frisbee...

Lewis,

(Apologies for sounding like a broken record to those of you who see these same words from me to puppy owners all the time.)

Right now mental stimulation is way more important than physical exercise. Repetitive, high-impact activities like frisbee, fetch, etc., are an extreme risk to puppy bones and joints that have not finished growing yet. Let him play at his own pace and make up his own games (that is, if he chooses to do puppy zoomies around the yard/house, that's fine, but he doesn't need to go on 3 mile runs or repeatedly chase and catch frisbees or balls, for example). You can play with him, of course, but stay away from anything that requires a lot of running, jumping, or other repetitive high-impact movements. You will be glad later when your adult dog (or pup) doesn't have joint (or soft tissue) problems. Your interaction with him can be play that's learning based, like teaching tricks, find the toy, tug, and basic obedience. Interactive toys (treat balls, filled kongs, puzzle toys) are also good for extended periods of entertainment and mental stimulation. Puppies really do not (ETA: oops! this word should be *need* instead of not) lots of inactive (sleep and quiet) time, and spending too much time with lots of activities at this age can create an adult dog that *requires* constant activity/entertainment. Set up a situation now that you are willing to live with for the rest of your dog's life (that is, teach him to settle in the house and not think he needs constant attention/interaction/activity). Don't overdo anything.

Mental stimulation will wear out any dog much faster than physical exercise will.

J.

Lewis,

(Apologies for sounding like a broken record to those of you who see these same words from me to puppy owners all the time.)

Right now mental stimulation is way more important than physical exercise. Repetitive, high-impact activities like frisbee, fetch, etc., are an extreme risk to puppy bones and joints that have not finished growing yet. Let him play at his own pace and make up his own games (that is, if he chooses to do puppy zoomies around the yard/house, that's fine, but he doesn't need to go on 3 mile runs or repeatedly chase and catch frisbees or balls, for example). You can play with him, of course, but stay away from anything that requires a lot of running, jumping, or other repetitive high-impact movements. You will be glad later when your adult dog (or pup) doesn't have joint (or soft tissue) problems. Your interaction with him can be play that's learning based, like teaching tricks, find the toy, tug (not too much) and basic obedience. Interactive toys (treat balls, filled kongs, puzzle toys) are also good for extended periods of entertainment and mental stimulation. Puppies really do not lots of inactive (sleep and quiet) time, and spending too much time with lots of activities at this age can create an adult dog that *requires* constant activity/entertainment. Set up a situation now that you are willing to live with for the rest of your dog's life (that is, teach him to settle in the house and not think he needs constant attention/interaction/activity).

Mental stimulation will wear out any dog much faster than physical exercise will.

J.

Thanks for the suggestions! My wife is a developmental psychologist so she is always drilling home "developmentally appropriate" learning/activities. I figured I'd leave the frisbee untill he got a lot stronger and grew into his "big boy" body.

As for the suggestion for setting him up Re: stimulation/activity...great advice! That one is a big keeper!

Merry Meet, Lewis!

Pay particular attention to Julie's advice. I did not; and the price I paid was a long and expensive recovery from a separated growth plate in the shoulder. Fortunately, there were no permanent injuries; but it could have been a very bad situation.

Welcome. There are others from AZ here. Where are you located? There are lots of dog related activities in Tucson and Phoenix area when the time is right. You might want to check out the herding club. www.azherding.com.

We're in extreme east Phoenix....Gold Canyon. I'll be sure to check that out. Thanks!

That's not so far from us -- we're in Gilbert and we drive out to the Superstition mountains as often as we can.

Great! There is a lot of hiking this way. As soon as Cerbie is really ready to hit the trail we'll have him out. I'd also love to talk to other owner/trainers and watch them at work.