BC Boards

It's happening again

KrisK

I posted about Zachary's total body tremours last year ( I just checked and it is almost EXACTLY a year to the date) and it's happening again. The symptoms are identical...he's gets shaking, then shoots across the room like something has terrified him - sometimes he pants heavily as well. It lasted about a month or so last year. The vet put him on a liver supplement because his liver readings were off. He is still on the liver supplements and Vetmedin. Is it just a coincidence that the same symptoms are back at the same time of year? What are the chances that it is weather/environment related? He's going to the vet on Thursday but in the meantime, I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Please send Zachary some good mojo....

I have no idea but for some reason when I was reading your post it made me think enviroment too.

Have you had his liver checked since last year?

What is your weather doing compared to last year and last week?

The fact that it's the exact same time as last year makes me think it's something environmental too. Is there something he can get into that's out only at this time of year, maybe something related to Christmas decorations?

What's he on for his liver? Also I understand that Vetmedin is for heart failure. Does he also have heart issues?

J.

Zachary has had a heart problem for 5 years now after suffering a severe bout of pancreatitis. The Vetmedin seems to work really well for him. He is taking Zentinol for his liver. We don't have any decorations out right now so it's not that. I'm really wondering if the change in temperatures and the electric heat being on more continually might have some bearing. He is eating, drinking and his eliminations are quite normal. Last year, I stopped taking him for his walks at night thinking it was exercise related but he was worse. I've continued with his nightly walks although he decides just how far he's going - sometimes the entire 3 km or like last night just half way. He had a few hours of the shakes/spooks then slept really well over night.

It's baffling for sure! I'm wondering if the vet will be able to give me something to calm him down when the episodes get too out of hand but given his other medications, I don't know if that's possible. He's always been an anxious dog anyway and this makes it worse for him.

I might try DAP with him again...

Kris, is he slipping on ice, or is there ice build up in his paws when you walk him. Perhaps he's a little anxious and that makes the cold feel worse to him?

For what it's worth, when I get too cold, I get anxious and can't rest comfortably until I'm warm. And with his heart condition, possibly his circulation isn't everything it used to be, and he might be feeling a little tingly in his extremities, making him anxious.

Ruth

Do you think this is a fear issue, like he's afraid of whatever might be happening to him or something on the inside, reaction to pain? Or something on the outside freaking him out?

I have a little girl here who is quite noise sensitive. Things can really set her off. If something does, she looks totally freaked out and heads for a hidey hole. But no shivering.

When he's having an episode does he want comforting from you or to be left alone? What do his pupils look like while tremmoring?

My Dad recently had some heart issues. He is now suffering from angina pains. He looks pretty freaked out when something is happening, could a dog have heart pains? I would think so.

Here's hoping the vet can unravel the mystery. Please keep us posted.

Hi Ruth, - he wears a heavy flannel coat 24/7 right now and I have a fleece blanket that I throw over him as well. He will stay under the blanket for a bit then has one of his 'tearing across the room' episodes. That's why I've kept his coat on him.

His heart certainly seems to be pounding when this happens and I suspect that scares him. We found keeping his coat on helped last year but so far it's not working as well this year. Does anyone have any experience with Tellington Touch? I have heard that wrapping the dog is supposed to help with anxiety but I don't have any first hand knowledge of that.

Rave, we don't have any carpets so static build up doesn't seem to be an issue at our place.

It's definitely a mystery!

There is a anxiety wrap for dogs. I think they might sell it at Cleanrun.com Try that.

Just make sure your not over heating him . Someone suggested static shock. That sounds very possible.

One of my dogs is sensitive to the barometer changes. He seems restless and a little whiny during his episodes.

I wouldnt look to put him on anything else like tranquilizers . The less right now the better , until you find out what it is.

Another idea is to sit and write down everything and anything that is new in your house , something you may only use during the holidays , like a different air freshner , or scented candles . Have you had the rug cleaned for the holidays? Even a different perfume . Things like this can affect animals . Those smells stay at their level for hours . It's highly unlikely that this is what it is , but you never know.

My guess it's environmental . How does Zachary act when he hears a new sound ? Are there stores nearby that have Xmas music playing outside ? He may hear bells and such that may be driving him nuts. Play some in the house, see if he has a reaction to it . Sounds crazy , I know , but again , you never know. :rolleyes: Jolly Old St. Nick's HO HO HO may not be on his top ten favorite noises. If it's sounds he hears , at least you can work with that.

Good Luck

No, hunting season is basically over where I live. Ipsy, I live in the middle of nowhere so seasonal noises aren't an issue. I'm not a person for scented anything - it makes me sneeze and itch, no rugs, no perfumes, but I'm still leaning toward something in the environment causing his symptoms. I think I'll invest in a barometer...maybe the changes in weather that occur as fall changes to winter might have something to do with it.

Thanks for all the ideas....if only he could talk, it might be a lot easier :rolleyes:

No, hunting season is basically over where I live. Ipsy, I live in the middle of nowhere so seasonal noises aren't an issue. I'm not a person for scented anything - it makes me sneeze and itch, no rugs, no perfumes, but I'm still leaning toward something in the environment causing his symptoms. I think I'll invest in a barometer...maybe the changes in weather that occur as fall changes to winter might have something to do with it.

Thanks for all the ideas....if only he could talk, it might be a lot easier :D

ROFL...didnt realize you lived out in the middle of nowhere !! :rolleyes: I hope you can get to the bottom of this soon.

Do you have snow and ice? Is he eating snow and ice which gives him the shivers?

Riot has been doing this but I know it is because he has been outside eating snow and ice which makes him extremely cold. It takes him awhile to heat up after wards and for the shivers to stop even if he is laying in front of the electric heater.

Yes we try to limit how much ice and snow he eats. He gets cold easily anyways and has no fat on him so we have to watch him closely.

Is he getting shocked from static buildup?

This was my first thought too. At this time of year, it gets cold and dry. Indoor humidity drops and static is more common. Dog getting zapped every time he put his nose on anything would make him flinchy and explain the sudden runs across the room away from the shock.

Maybe ask the vet to check Zach's thyroid. All my schizophrenic clients who are anxious and hear things that frighten them also have thyroid issues. My schizophrenic clients that are just disconnected and 'out there' dont have thyroid concerns.

How warm is your house? Can you try putting Zac in a room with a space heater and cranking it up to very very warm and see if he stops trembling? Swaddling helps my clients with autism but their autism doesnt change with the seasons. Swaddling really does work tho. A local school has a device like a giant wringer washer. The kids can put themselves thru the rollers to help themselves calm down. The compression of the rollers (like Zach's blanket) helps them feel secure. Maybe try sewing some rice into a pouch and microwaving it until it is warm. Strap the hot pak to Zach somehow. The weight and warmth might help.

I've been wracking my brain all day trying to find a connection between the weather and Zac's actions. All behaviour is communication - what is Zac trying to tell us?

Maybe ask the vet to check Zac's thyroid. All my schizophrenic clients that are anxious and hear things that frighten them also have thyroid issues. My schizophrenic clients that are just disconnected and 'out there' dont have thyroid concerns.

How warm is your house? Can you try putting Zac in a room with a space heater and cranking it up to very very warm and see if he stops trembling? Swaddling helps my clients with autism but their autism doesnt change with the seasons. Swaddling really does work tho. A local school has a device like a giant wringer washer. The kids can put themselves thru the rollers to help themselves calm down. The compression of the rollers (like Zac's blanket) helps them feel secure.

I've been wracking my brain all day trying to find a connection between the weather and Zac's actions. All behaviour is communication - what is Zac trying to tell us?

I agree with you 100 % . Hence the anxiety wrap. That's how they got the idea , from autistic children . The swaddling of the blanket does the same for the dogs . If wrapping him up in a blanket and sitting on the floor holding him till he becomes calmer helps , look into the blanket. I think cleanrun might sell them. Im going to check other websites for it too.

I googled anxiety wrap and came up with alot of places to get them. Puplife.com is one place. There is also a blog for the anxiety wrap , it might be a good idea to scan through it and see if others have had the same problem.

Hope this helps... :rolleyes:

Maybe your home has a stray voltage issue and Zach is feeling the effects of it. Did his problems start about the same time you began heating your house?

The neighbours farm was inspected recently for stray voltage. Nothing was found but there are certain areas where the cattle refuse to be moved into. The house I rented in Spring Bay most definitely had problems with stray voltage. So does the new residence where I work. It's common here and you are only an hour north.

Thanks for those ideas - I'll definitely have him checked for low thyroid. Interesting about the stray voltage. I'm going to get the humidifier running tomorrow so we'll see if that helps as well. I'll let you know what the vet finds on Thursday....if anything!

In the meantime, back to wracking my brains :rolleyes: Right now, he's snoring happily by my feet.....let's hope he keeps snoring happily :D

Kris, did you read about those poor dogs in Toronto who were electrocuted from stray voltage on the sidewalk?

I did some reading and dogs are supposedly more effected by magnetism and stray voltage than people or cats. There is a fair bit of junk science on stray voltage but there might be somthing to it.

The small house I was renting in Spring Bay had insane electric bills of $500/month. I only lived there for 4 months. I could see the wind turbines outside the east window. By contrast, this big old drafty farmhouse has a hydro bill of only about $100/ month. I also have the barn lights and the garage on this hydro bill. I happened to like living under the turbines but I have been following the local debate on whether more turbines should be allowed. The issue of stray voltage is a big one for the people fighting the turbines.

Is Zach worse in certain rooms or does he wig out anywhere in the house? Are the other cats, dogs and you getting static shock as well?

Well, I'm still baffled but I've decided at the very least to get Zachary an anxiety wrap. We found using his outside coat made it a bit better last year but I think he gets too warm so the anxiety wrap looks like the best option. I wish I could find an outlet in Canada but I haven't found one so far. All the testimonies I have read so far, seem to indicate that the dogs were less stressed. It's worth a try.

Well, the good news is Zachary's bloodwork is all fine. He's liver readings were slightly elevated so he's continuing on the liver supplements and his cholesterol was also slightly high. Everything else was normal. We are going on the basis that it is some type of anxiety attack. Last night, I spend an hour in the middle of the night squeezing him in a cotton blanket. It took that long to settle him down, but I could feel him relaxing. Let's hope the anxiety wrap can do this for him...that way, I get to sleep more :rolleyes:

Glad he's got a clean bill of health otherwise! There's a new coat/wrap on the market that is similar to the Anxiety Wrap, but less expensive: the Thundershirt. Maybe it might be more available, too.

Poor guy. To me, static or distant problem noises sound like the most likely problem, but it's very mysterious. If it's static it may help to rub him with unscented dryer sheets (like Bounce). I've never had luck with wrapping, but you can try a tight child's T-shirt inexpensively and I've heard that they can work just as well as the more expensive wraps. I would definitely get a couple of DAP plug-ins.