BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Samsonsworld

Only in West Texas....

Yep, that's pretty much how it is around here too. But then I suspect that your area doesn't have much in the way of snow removal equipment, nor people (like schoolbus drivers) who know how to drive when the ground is slick with snow or ice. I think schools are quick to call snow days because they don't want to be held liable for accidents involving someone else's kids....

Could they at least get a good snowball fight going? :rolleyes:

J.

Oh my gosh that's barely a sprinkling!! We got about that much snow last night, first one of the season. Remarkably, even though we live in the Midwest and it's been snowing here for millenia, people completely forget how to drive in it every year. Had 30 reported fender-benders in our town last night alone!

Yeah, I can believe it. Some places just panic at a snowflake or two. (While I grew up where it was quite possible to have enough snow overnight to bury a car.)

Reminds me of the time, years ago, when I was driving from Flagstaff to Las Vegas late one night. Was pretty cold & snowing a bit along the way. Came in to Las Vegas from the south, with a little dusting of snow on the road, and there were absolutely no cars on the road - nothing moving at all. I was starting to wonder if I'd fallen into an SF movie or something when the blinking blue lights popped up in my rear view mirror. Cop asked me what I was doing, I told him "Just driving in from Flag", he asked why I hadn't heard about the state of emergency declared because of the half-inch of snow :-)

WOW. I wish that's all we had here! We've had a great November, nice and warm. Now, today we really have a winter storm! I've swept off the deck twice in two hours because I couldn't open the back door! BUT we get chinooks, so it will likely be gone in a few days.

We get good dumps of snow every winter (about 3 or 4 times)...we're in the foothills of Alberta for goodness sake and every major snowfall people forget how to drive. It's nuts. I grew up in Northern Ontario where driving on closed highways was second nature to most. I get nervous here because of all the yahoo's who don't know what the heck their doing!

When we were living down in AR it snowed about 1/2 an inch and they called school off for 2 days! But in their favor, I went out that day and coudn't see the road for the fields as they have zip for snow removal.

When we were back in MO we'd have reg. snow days for fair amounts of snow. I always thought that they should say schools open if you can get your kid to school...I bet there'd be lots of kids there!

Now here in CO I hear they NEVER call school off for snow days. Can't wait to see what really happens. THey say we don't get much snow out on the mesa but I've already seen over a foot so I'm wondering how much "alot" of snow is here in snow country!

We got up to -1 degree out there this morning. Now that's freakin cold no matter how dry the air is. THe sheep are happy, Lilly the LGD is dancing she's so happy so I guess it's still not to cold out yet!

Kristen - they do call off schools occasionally - at least in the Denver area. Usually elementary schools. About once a year, if it gets really bad. But there are some districts that indeed never call schools off - Jefferson I believe is one of them. In the 4 years I've been in Colorado, they've never closed our office - which is in Greenwood Village, not even during that crazy 2006 blizzard. Luckily I had already scheduled vacation so I enjoyed it imensly!

Yup. Around here, they call school off if there is even a hint in the forecast that we'll get that much (little?) snow.

Guess it's better than when we lived in the Hudson Valley. No matter how bad the blizzard, the news said the kids had to go to school. So mine would walk the half mile there. As soon as all the kids were there and the teacher took attendance, they called school off and sent the kids home. It had to do with the state formulas for school support. Luckily or otherwise, I was an at-home Mom, so they could get in when they slogged their way home.

When I was a kid, in Massachusetts - and dinosaurs roamed the earth, we had three options if it snowed. If it wasn't bad, we all went to school. If it was bad, it was "No School Grades 1 through 6. It had to be horrible for us all to get the day off.

We had that much snow on the ground this morning and the roads were really icy to boot. Just another winter day in MI and I still had to get to college on time. Schools close hear for bitter cold/winds - (if we have a wind chill well below zero schools will close), blizzard like snow off the lake, and for copious amounts of the white stuff if we got a foot and a half overnight and all the trucks were busy keeping the main roads open and haven't gotten around to the secondary roads they'll close school. And that's about it. We do have delays for an hour or two some winter mornings.

Can't blame areas that rarely get snow for closing down when even a little hits. How many people in Texas have snow tires or chains on their cars? How many southern towns are equipped for snow removal? The city I lived in in NC contracts snow removal to a group in Michigan because that's cheaper than having snow removal equipment sitting around unused for the most part. So it's really not all that ridiculous when you step back and think about it.

I've never had snow tires, chains or 4WD and for most of my life have lived in areas that got so much snow that only the main roads were (eventually) totally cleared of snow. For a snowfall like that they would not have even bothered sanding. I get around just fine in my little Corolla. In parts of the world snow coats the roads and highways for most of the winter and people get around just fine, even in little 2WD vehicles. It's all a matter of experience and common sense.

Hear, hear, Liz! I drove my little two door Mazda MX6 this week on icy and snowy roads - no snow tires, no chains. I do feel more confortable in my Trailblazer, but the Mazda had been sitting in the garage over night, thus making it a much warmer alternative on the freezing mornings :rolleyes:

The point being that those of you who are quite used to driving in snow and ice can probably easily get around in it, no matter what you're driving. Why anyone would expect folks who rarely see snow to be able to manage the same way is a bit odd, to say the least. Around here, the yahoos with 4WD think they're invulnerable and so drive like maniacs, putting everyone at risk. Frankly, it's just safer to stay home when it snows in areas that see little or no snowfall most of the time. More power to those of you who deal with snow all the time. I love the south precisely because I don't like the cold and snow so much. :rolleyes:

J.

The point being that those of you who are quite used to driving in snow and ice can probably easily get around in it, no matter what you're driving.

That's why I said it was a matter of experience and common sense. :D I DON'T expect people who never drive on snow to know how to handle it, but snow tires, chains and 4WD will not make a safe driver in the snow. The more important part of the equation is common sense. Many people driving 4WD vehicles don't seem to understand that they have only slightly more control. :rolleyes:

Right and my common sense says my rear-wheel drive 2WD vehicle is not going to make it up Seattle hills. :rolleyes: Snow tires/chains and 4WD make roads more passable regardless of who's driving, which is why they're required in the mountains here at times. So yes that vehicle is "safer" than a vehicle not equipped for the weather. However, those things don't instantly make someone learn how to drive in the snow.

This is the age old "I can drive and they can't" debate. lol

Ohhh, I am the first to admit I am not a great driver! I mean, never had an accident, or messed up traffic, but I am a very cautious driver, not at all adventurous. I would rather drive to places I am familar with, routine routes, rather than go explore on my own. I use my GPS every time I go somewhere new, or at least a print out from mapquest. I'm always freaked out I won't know where to go next :rolleyes: So I would be the last to start a "I can drive and they can't" argument :D

Ohhh, I am the first to admit I am not a great driver! I mean, never had an accident, or messed up traffic, but I am a very cautious driver, not at all adventurous. I would rather drive to places I am familar with, routine routes, rather than go explore on my own. I use my GPS every time I go somewhere new, or at least a print out from mapquest. I'm always freaked out I won't know where to go next :rolleyes: So I would be the last to start a "I can drive and they can't" argument :D

And I am not dumb enough to try to drive through mountains in a snow storm!

When I was in junior high and most of high school I didn't have a car and walked to school. And we didn't watch TV so there were a few times where I'd walk or ride my bike to school in the snow only to find out that everyone else got to stay home. Those of us who did make it still had to stay, maybe 5 kids per class. We always got let out after half the school day, when we'd go join our friends who'd been playing all day. My parent's really didn't care if school was canceled or not, they knew someone would be there to keep an eye on us while they were at work.

Ohhh, I am the first to admit I am not a great driver! I mean, never had an accident, or messed up traffic, but I am a very cautious driver, not at all adventurous.

And that makes all the difference in the world!!

My own anecdotal evidence - today we had the first icy roads of the season. It was a doozy of a way to the winter driving season. Four friends/ family members drove the same stretch of road today. It was the adventuresome 20 something cousin driving the car that rolled off into the ditch. I know these things happen, but still...

I live in Massachusetts, but the first snow is always a bit of a kerfluffle - it takes a bit of momentum before the plows and sanders have their act down, before the drivers remember how to be cautious in snow, and before the world in general grinds into "scrape/shovel/defrost" mode. (Oh, how I hate the winter!)

Couple years ago in early December, I left home on dry ground about 6:15 a.m.. Somewhere on my 10-minute drive to work, a sudden, unforecast, and completely unexpected snow squall broke out. It was absolutely blinding: you couldn't see far in any direction. So, all vehicles slowed to a crawl. We must have gotten 1/2 inch over the course of my little drive, and then it ended as if it were a dream. But there were car accidents all over the main and side roads, because people had underestimated the conditions, gone too fast, and crashed into cars that had slowed down. My 10-minute drive took me probably 35 minutes, and teachers and buses were late for school. What a mess!

Plus, there was that well-forecast storm 2-3 years ago, when the government encouraged all businesses to let employees leave work at 1:00 - which created the most horrendous commute anyone can remember outside the Blizard of '78. Everyone was on the snowy highway at exactly the same time. Friends whose commute usually takes 35 minutes were on the road for 5 and 6 hours. UGH!

So, we in "snow country" aren't immune to messing up, for sure!

Mary

Plus, there was that well-forecast storm 2-3 years ago, when the government encouraged all businesses to let employees leave work at 1:00 - which created the most horrendous commute anyone can remember outside the Blizard of '78. Everyone was on the snowy highway at exactly the same time. Friends whose commute usually takes 35 minutes were on the road for 5 and 6 hours. UGH!

Bwahaha - that's exactly what happened here in February or March. My usual 5 minute drive home took 2.5 HOURS!!! It was insane. And people who left work at the regular time didn't have any problems with traffic. And at least they had bathroom access while I was stuck in my car :D Not a good memory :rolleyes:

There were spots that were slick yesterday but most started melting right away. Never seen anybody with snow tires or chains around here. We just don't get much precipitation, which makes you wonder why everybody and their dog has a 4x4 truck....including myself. I've had it down the alley a few times....anyway....I didn't have any trouble getting around. They usually just lay sand around intersections and overpasses to help melt the snow. We don't really have equipment to clear the roads. A few years back we got several inches and some genius decided to drag some kind of plow behind a county dumptruck to clear the interstate. He bust every center-line reflector off for miles. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's always the day after that scares me because it never gets very cold around here. The snow tends to melt during the day and then re-freeze at night. We've had some bad ice storms over my lifetime. In fact, a teacher died last year because of black ice. I'm sure that factored a lot into the school's decision to close.

...which makes you wonder why everybody and their dog has a 4x4 truck...

Mud? Just make sure you remember the first rule of driving a 4WD in the snow: you can go better than a 2WD, but you can't stop a damn bit better :-)