BC Boards

Virtually Indestructable ?

I once asked a store clerk what toy was best for a chewer and she said "What breed?". When I told her it was a BC she said "When a Border Collie wants to destroy something, NOTHING will last."

So - anyways, we've pretty much found that to be true. A few stuffies had a short life of gentle handling before he decided to kill them. Tennis balls also depend on the mood but last under half and hour when he's really into it.

So, for whatever reasons these are the toys who've managed to survive bootcamp - the raccoon is a stuffy-less model which you can buy extra squeakers for (but Truman eats the squeakers so I put bones in). The chicken skin survived it's personal de-stuffing to continue life as a floppy, hairy cloth.

The fabric bone came with a dog toy I had as a child and I assume that it has too much of "people smell" for him to kill. The teething stick is from puppyhood.

His favourites are a squirrel shaped kong-type toy (not shown) and this weird checkerboard patterned toy with squeakers in each square. My daughter picked it out at pet cetera when we first brought him home and he has never killed it. Some of the sqeakers still work too and it is the first toy he'll take out of his box to drop on my lap for tug or 'floppy frisbee'. Don't know why but it is both alive AND of interest to him.

post-10097-1259888710_thumb.jpgpost-10097-1259888735_thumb.jpg

All great ideas ! Now I think I might have to take a loan out to get all these great toys for my guys, LOL...

I will get them anything that I know they will have a great time with , is safe , and will last longer then the other toys Ive tried.

It would be nice to just sit and enjoy a cup of coffee and watch them play for a while before I have to get the vacuum out or put my hand down one of their throats to retrieve a partially eaten toy part. :rolleyes:

MANY , MANY THANKS EVERYBODY ! :D

I must add that my puppy has not destroyed "Earl, the dead cat". Just a note , I love cats , had dozens . :D

This is a grey stuffed animal , but no stuffing , it's the same material , but it's flattened out to somewhat look like a cartoon cat that has been flattened by a car or something. It's really strange , but he sleeps with it everynight and "nurses" on it from time to time. He just loves it ! He will go to his crate in our bedroom and bring "Earl" into the TV room or wherever we are and sit and nurse it for a while.

Someone tell me this is not a wee bit strange......please ?

Just had to add this little tidbit. But everything else , torn to shreds. Including a bra he got somehow. :rolleyes:

I must add that my puppy has not destroyed "Earl, the dead cat". Just a note , I love cats , had dozens . :D

This is a grey stuffed animal , but no stuffing , it's the same material , but it's flattened out to somewhat look like a cartoon cat that has been flattened by a car or something. It's really strange , but he sleeps with it everynight and "nurses" on it from time to time. He just loves it ! He will go to his crate in our bedroom and bring "Earl" into the TV room or wherever we are and sit and nurse it for a while.

Someone tell me this is not a wee bit strange......please ?

Just had to add this little tidbit. But everything else , torn to shreds. Including a bra he got somehow. :rolleyes:

Sort of a pacifier perhaps? Robin is seven months old and has a stuffed lion that he's had since he came to us at 8 weeks. He gums it but doesn't shred. He did have a bunny, up until last week when he took a sudden destructive fit. :D. He's still got the face and uh, the legs - they're just separated. :D.

Sort of a pacifier perhaps? Robin is seven months old and has a stuffed lion that he's had since he came to us at 8 weeks. He gums it but doesn't shred. He did have a bunny, up until last week when he took a sudden destructive fit. :D. He's still got the face and uh, the legs - they're just separated. :D.

Funny ! Yes my boy did remove the tail for some reason. But ironically he usually has both in his crate when it's time for bed :rolleyes:

These are the best toys ever. Mydogtoy.com

Go to the Tuff Toy section.

http://www.vipproducts.com/retail/files/index.php?cPath=27

My dogs have quite a few of these and they chew them hard. Extra stitching, heavy duty material etc....Plust they love them

Diane

I really love those toys, too. They have stood up to countless hours of tug and fetch. But I have to put them away when we're done playing as Missy started to destroy one when I left it out.

THANKS Diane! I have wanted to get something like this for my guys, but never knew about these! Since I almost lost a dog to bad quality chews/toys, I am super careful...

My dogs have quite a few of these and they chew them hard. Extra stitching, heavy duty material etc....Plust they love them

Diane

Diane

How do the squeaker toys hold up? My gang loves squeakers (to death) :rolleyes:.

Liz

Woo Hoo , we are set for years ! Awesome toys ! I knew there had to be somewhere out there to get toys that will stand up to BC ! Pits got nothing on my BCs . LOL.... :rolleyes:

But I must say , the idea of tying old sheets together for a home made tug is priceless. I already made one and they love it ! :D I will try to take some pics and put them up . The gang sends their thanks :D

It depends on which toy you get. Some of them the squeaker is not as loud, others they sound normal. We have the Octopus, lizard, sheep, alligator and the crab. The lizard squeaker works great. The Alligator...they have to sink their teeth into it. They love these toys and they are well worth it.

If someoen does have a $7 coupon, I would be interested....we could use another toy.

Diane

All I can say is milk inflators. Those are the only things that I have been able to buy that last years with my dogs. Usually it's the lawn mower that does them in. You can buy them at any fleet and farm store in the livestock area. The only thing that has been lasting any amount of time is the jolly ball that I bought them. But I do swear by the milk inflators.

Kathy

Long time lurker here, just wanted to throw in a suggestion for Planet Dog balls. http://www.planetdog.com/category.aspx?categoryID=46 Kyrah isn't an intentional toy destroyer, but she chomps on her fetch balls so hard while bringing them back she kills them all without trying. The only ones that hold up are her Orbee-Tuff Orbee and Fetch balls. They seem to take the worst abuse and hardly show a mark. I wouldn't recommend leaving them unsupervised with a heavy chewer, but for interactive play they'll save you a fortune in tennis ball replacements. The glow-in-the-dark one is fabulous for winter evening fetch games in the cow pasture. :rolleyes:

We got a West Paw Bumi in a gift exchange this year and so far it is amusing Kes greatly *and* withstanding rigorous play quite nicely. I may have to buy a Huck or Hurley in the future.

• 1 month later...
I ordered a Wubba from a place (catalog) called Smart-Pak Canine. They were a lot cheaper than PetSmart. About ten bucks. And I got a Soft-bite Frisbee. ($11.00 vs $26.00 at PetSmart) They haven't come yet, but I have high hopes for the Wubba. I've heard good things about them. Xmas for Sugarfoot!

The Wubba's are easily destroyed. I use the small WUBBA for agililty training. It easily fits in my pocket, and I like the long tassled handle for throwing and tugging. It is one of Freeman's favorite toys, but it is not durable.

I live in fear of dog toy obstructions, so mine mostly get cow hooves now.

J.

I traded the rawhides in long ago for chew hooves. The chew hooves last so much longer. I usually buy a large bag of them from Petco, but when I went to get a bag the other day there were none to be found. The store associate thought that they had been recalled?

We got a West Paw Bumi in a gift exchange this year and so far it is amusing Kes greatly *and* withstanding rigorous play quite nicely. I may have to buy a Huck or Hurley in the future.

We've had no luck with the Hurley toy here. Chase loved his, but managed to chew off large pieces and then ingest them resulting in vomiting because he could not digest the pieces. He is not

the most aggressive chewer. ( That is his in my profile. It didn't last the week)

Jenn

I found a toy made from fire hose material with a squeaker in it. Jin likes it, been around for awhile but it's not one of his favs. The best one I've found is a steel bar. Absolutely indestructible be he doesn't like it. :rolleyes: