BC Boards

Virtually Indestructable ?

I am sick of buying toys that I THINK my 6 month old BC wont be able to chew apart. I have just returned a tug toy that claimed to be virtually indestructable and my boy had it in pieces in 3 minutes ! :D

I have found that only kongs will hold up to them . I always pick up a toy when I'm around the petstores and I thought they would like something different. If I do buy a toy that they find entertaining , more so than a kong , I'm pleased. They do have toys that they can only have when supervised , but I was sitting on the couch right in front of them and this toy was in pieces ! Unbelievable !

I know basically anything stronger than tire rubber is usually safe for them . I dont like giving anything with rope , it can cause severe complications and we just dont need to go there . :rolleyes: Kongs are great , they offer good exercise for the jaw muscles and satisfies their need to chew , but so does bully sticks and they get them as well...But the poo thats offered to stuff into the kongs is just that , poo , and I wouldnt give it to my dogs. I would have to separate them all if I were to put anything inside the kongs anyway and thats not what Im looking to do ..I just want them to be entertained inside the house with something ...

Does anybody have any good experiences with toys their dogs werent able to destroy in a millisecond and found fun ?

Yes , I know toy destruction is fun, and I let them destroy the small stuffed toys they get when we "Q" at agility trials.

but when you spend good money on them , it hurts like heck... :D

Holly doesn't really destroy toys but Zac does, although most toys around here end up as tug toys and get pulled apart that way. The best toy i have found for tugging and playing is Wubba's. I have three now and they last really well. Zac hasn't destroyed them yet so they must be pretty tough and they both really enjoy play with them.

Or if you or anyone else can sew, (i am rubbish at it) then you could make some yourself. My mum makes them some sometimes, she sews a liner in them first and then double stitches them. They last a lot longer and are cheaper to make than buy. I save the sqeakers, voice box things out of toys and she re uses them.

I make tug-toys from old sheets torn into foot-wide strips, rolled and braided. Tie the ends in a knot like a rawhide bone. They are really tough, fairly easy on the hands and apparently have a good mouth-feel to dogs. I get dark-colored sheets (polyester is more durable, and as long as I don't have to SLEEP on them...) for $4.00 at Thriftown and get at least 4 toys out of each one. Dark colors because they don't show slobber-grunge so bad. You can launder them, but they make a racket in the dryer! If you tear the sheet up lengthwise you end up with something about 3 feet long w 3 knots; widthwise - about 1 1/2 feet long w 2 knots. My dog loves floss tugs, but she tends to tear them up pretty bad and I don't let her have them unsupervised.

I ordered a Wubba from a place (catalog) called Smart-Pak Canine. They were a lot cheaper than PetSmart. About ten bucks. And I got a Soft-bite Frisbee. ($11.00 vs $26.00 at PetSmart) They haven't come yet, but I have high hopes for the Wubba. I've heard good things about them. Xmas for Sugarfoot!

I make tug-toys from old sheets torn into foot-wide strips, rolled and braided. Tie the ends in a knot like a rawhide bone. They are really tough, fairly easy on the hands and apparently have a good mouth-feel to dogs. I get dark-colored sheets (polyester is more durable, and as long as I don't have to SLEEP on them...) for $4.00 at Thriftown and get at least 4 toys out of each one. Dark colors because they don't show slobber-grunge so bad. You can launder them, but they make a racket in the dryer! If you tear the sheet up lengthwise you end up with something about 3 feet long w 3 knots; widthwise - about 1 1/2 feet long w 2 knots. My dog loves floss tugs, but she tends to tear them up pretty bad and I don't let her have them unsupervised.

I ordered a Wubba from a place (catalog) called Smart-Pak Canine. They were a lot cheaper than PetSmart. About ten bucks. And I got a Soft-bite Frisbee. ($11.00 vs $26.00 at PetSmart) They haven't come yet, but I have high hopes for the Wubba. I've heard good things about them. Xmas for Sugarfoot!

Wow , great idea ! I'm definatlely going to try that. I have plenty of old sheets and since they are saved for the dogs . And , you can wash them , AWESOME :rolleyes:

My girl loves the soft frisbees ! I can get pretty good use out of them when they are taken away after we play.

Again , thanks all for the great ideas...keep em coming if you got em ! :D

I sympathize about the hard chewers. Quinn destroys even Kongs, plus a few other toys that were guaranteed to be chew proof. Just not Quinn proof. The most Quuinn resistant toys I've found are a mid sized Jolly ball that has give to it but is too big to chew and a giant, hard plastic "egg" that Quinn will bat around from time to time. He does ok with Nylabones if I keep an eye on his progress and keep him from swallowing too many small pieces that he will later throw up (usually in the middle of the night). All other toys are only for use when I supervise.

My current foster is a pretty nuts chewer and I've found that the nylabone toys that are specifically for heavy chewers to be pretty good. Well, not good when he's bored and starts throwing it on my hardwood... :rolleyes: But he likes them. I also go to the thrift store and buy stuffies dirt cheap for them to destroy. I can get a bag full for under $10. I have also found the entire line of busy buddies to be pretty good, but I don't know about for heavy chewers. Jolly balls are awesome though!

My current foster is a pretty nuts chewer and I've found that the nylabone toys that are specifically for heavy chewers to be pretty good. Well, not good when he's bored and starts throwing it on my hardwood... :D But he likes them. I also go to the thrift store and buy stuffies dirt cheap for them to destroy. I can get a bag full for under $10. I have also found the entire line of busy buddies to be pretty good, but I don't know about for heavy chewers. Jolly balls are awesome though!

We had a jolly ball once ..They went ape poo over it ! I have 6 acres and would ya think they would have plenty of room ?

Course not , they consantly got it over the fence every time ! :rolleyes:

Things that have stood up for us are:

Jolly ball (without handle)

Glow ball from PetSmart (this one has been through four dogs)

The Orka line of toys - also at PetSmart and on Amazon.

Nylabone - but its not very popular.

Bones, lots of bones.

Durable toys that my pups like:

Nylabones/Galileo bones

All of the Busy Buddy line of toys, but especially the Bristle Bone and Squirrel Dude

Orbee toys from Planet Dog, except those that have raised continents

Jolly Ball

Canine Genius Mike and Leo

Kongs of all sorts - mine have black and red ones, but I also like the blue ones for durability, just haven't needed to replace any of ours

Kong Bone

Treatstik

Toys we like but that do have limited lifespans:

Tuffies stuffed toys (only one that holds up to Kes at all, but even it is showing wear quickly)

Air Dog tennis ball toys

Air Kong toys

Kong Wubba

Rope bones

Orbee balls with continents (Kes pulls the continents off lol)

Edible Chews:

Wholesome Hide rawhide retriever rolls

Ray tails

Merrick Tendon Chews

Zukes Z-Ridge bones

Toys I've heard good things about but haven't bought myself:

Goghnuts

Tricky Treat Ball

over here we can get things called boomer balls, and i recommend them to all my staffie owning friends. they are rigid plastic balls that come in a huge range of sizes and are used in zoos to keep things like polar bears amused. i have seen many a toy destroying dog, but if these can withstand a polar bear....

they make a racket on hard floors though!

http://www.boomerball.com/

hope this helps :rolleyes:

So far mine haven't been able to destroy the Hol-ee rollers. I have 4 of them right now. With a couple of them, we stuffed a squeeky tennis ball inside it and the aussie goes nuts because he really really wants to get the tennis ball out so he can sit down and rip off the fuzz. Our friends got one and they put a rubber squeeky toy inside it and so far their dog hasn't destroyed either. They also make a good tug toy.

over here we can get things called boomer balls, and i recommend them to all my staffie owning friends. they are rigid plastic balls that come in a huge range of sizes and are used in zoos to keep things like polar bears amused. i have seen many a toy destroying dog, but if these can withstand a polar bear....

they make a racket on hard floors though!

http://www.boomerball.com/

hope this helps :rolleyes:

This is a terrific suggestion! My son gave Ladybug my pilotes ball, which was a little bigger. She had a wonderful time with it (looked much like the video on the product site) until she popped it on the pool fence. Definitely on my Christmas list!

Liz

Perhaps the Holee Roller idea will help save the lives of many innocent tennis balls - Kes likes to kill them and is down to about 2 minutes per ball!

I don't know about that Erin. June goes ape over a holee roller - and can have it chewed into pieces in about a minute. I can't leave them down or she kills them - and she's the one who kills my tennis balls too. But it's certainly worth a try.

I've never found many toys that my strong chewers cannot destroy. There's this kong toy I got once that looks like a jack? They haven't killed that, and then there's these little "busy buddy" barbell thingies - they're purple I think - that they haven't killed. Those, along with nylabones and cow hooves are all that gets left out to chew and play with at their discretion at my house. Unfortunately Linc snatches a toy and takes it out with him every time I let the dogs out, so about once a week I go out and have a toy-recon mission in the back yard.

I'm with Laura on this one. My dogs and I love Hol-ee roller balls but I don't leave them down to be chewed on or they'll be destroyed. I have one dog here who has chewed the ends off of Nylabones. Tennis balls and other such items are also destroyed rather quickly. I got them a basketball the other day and so far it hasn't been punctured, but it's just a matter of time. Mine have one of those purple barbells--it's lasted a long time because they pretty much refuse to play with it. :rolleyes: Jolly balls last decently well, though there's no point in getting the type with a handle as it will be chewed off in no time. Likewise the ones with the rope through the middle--the rope is destroyed pretty quickly and I have to worry about dogs ingesting the resulting strings--not good for the GI tract.

I have a tennis ball sized red rubber ball that had projections all over it. It's still alive, but the knobs on the ends of the projections have mostly been chewed off. I live in fear of dog toy obstructions, so mine mostly get cow hooves now.

J.

We'll hold off on the Helle roller for now, I suppose - I don't need to spend $$ on something that could very well die a horrible death. :rolleyes:

The purple dumbbell is likely a Busy Buddy Waggle (or if it makes noise, the Chuckle) - we have two and we love them, Maggie especially as it's one of the food dispensing toys that still takes her more than 10-15 minutes to empty. :D Target has the line of toys in green, and Academy Sports has them in orange.

I forgot to mention one of Kes' favs - the Teaser ball - similar to the ball in a holee roller ball except the outside "frame" is solid plastic. Of course he likes to kill shake the thing so it's only allowed to be played with away from the flat screen TV or anything else breakable lol.

Perhaps the Holee Roller idea will help save the lives of many innocent tennis balls - Kes likes to kill them and is down to about 2 minutes per ball!

Try the chuckit ultra balls. Rather expensive (IMO) for "tennis balls" but my tennis ball killer hasn't destroyed one yet and I've been using them about a year.

We have one of the ultra balls from a past swap - I lurves it's durability (and the fact it doesn't hold dirt and drool) but Kes doesn't seem to think it as suitable for nomming as balls he can destroy unfortunately! :rolleyes: