BC Boards

Another question

It's just occurred to me that I've never heard much about junior handlers in the US.

I assume there are some. Do they have their own classes or do they compete against the adults, or both as here in the UK?

Is there a lower age limit?

Pam

I'm not sure about the other venues, but I'm pretty sure that CPE does not have a separate Juniors class. I've seen children and teens running in the regular classes at trials and I've never seen results broken out on the results sheets that say "Juniors". I'm pretty sure they just run with everyone else and are scored the same.

Canine Performance Events. It's a newer venue here in the US. It is designed to have less of an emphasis on being highly competetive and more of an emphasis on enjoyment. But make no mistake - it is still plenty challenging, especially for the less seasoned Agility handler. There are specific rules and standards and it's no cake walk.

CPE has a standard class, but there also six games classes that are very interesting and fun.

Canine Performance Events. It's a newer venue here in the US. It is designed to have less of an emphasis on being highly competetive and more of an emphasis on enjoyment.

Thanks.

It used to be KC or nothing over here with the KC wielding a big stick and threatening to ban anyone who competed in non KC events but faced with court action if they tried it they backed down.

Now we have all sorts of independent series of events, some more competitive than others.

Some (like Greg Derrett's UKA) have their own progression systems and in the south of England at least are a viable alternative for people deterred by the huge size of the KC shows down there.

KC is still the "real thing" for most people though and as far as dog activities are concerned we don't have the same issues as you do with the AKC.

Pam

KC is still the "real thing" for most people though and as far as dog activities are concerned we don't have the same issues as you do with the AKC.

There are some here who consider only AKC the "real thing", but that number seems to be diminishing. Some sports like Freestyle and Flyball aren't even offered through AKC, and APDT Rally was around a good bit before AKC Rally.

One thing I like about the large number of venues that we have available is that we can choose the venue that suits our dog's needs, and/or our own needs. For instance, NADAC has no teeter. So, my noise-o-phobe Dean Dog will most likely run NADAC. There are some who snub their noses at NADAC, but if it's a choice between making my dog suffer with banging teeters and/or whitsles and buzzers and "prestige", I'm going to do what's best for my dog and I'll do it boldly. Besides, he loves their wide open courses and that style of Agility really seems to suit him. He won't miss the pieces of equipment that aren't in there. He'll see them in class, although I doubt he'd miss them even there.

Since Maddie is a mutt, AKC was not open to her. They are going to have the mixed breed classes starting next year, but those are unlikely to be offered in my area, and she's too old to start a new venue now, even if I did want to do AKC.

I chose CPE for her because it was right for her and for me. It has been perfect.

The most "prestige" in my area seems to be held for USDAA. There aren't a lot of USDAA events around here and I simply won't jump my dogs that high. I know that's a worthy debate, but I make my decisions based on what's right for my dogs.

UKC is coming into style around here, but it doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

ASCA doesn't seem to exist in this area and my dogs are too big for Teacup. There is some DOCNA, another new venue, and I'd be interestd in trying it, but my plate is pretty full with CPE and dabbling in NADAC.

I don't consider any venue, or style, of Agility any less "real" than another. It's a game, no matter what level one is at or how one chooses to play.

Of course, others disagree and if that makes them happy, I'm glad they're happy. I certainly am! I love the wealth of choices that we have. Wish we had more choices when it comes to Freestyle. :rolleyes:

Some sports like Freestyle and Flyball aren't even offered through AKC

Flyball was the first issue where the KC had to back down. Once upon a time there was only KC flyball using a completely different kind of box that was really only ever seen at Crufts.

Then BFA started up as was more or less consistent with what was happening elsewhere. The KC monopoly was challenged and BFA flyball took off. And the final nail in the coffin is that bow even the KC has adopted a more normal design of box for Crufts.

The little man can win.

One thing I like about the large number of venues that we have available is that we can choose the venue that suits our dog's needs, and/or our own needs.

And less need for those who don't fit well with KC agility to try and change something that suits the vast majority.

When independent events started to be seen some predicted doom and gloom because of the competition for the KC shows but the reality is that agility is a growing sport and KC events can't easily cope with the huge numbers of entries. If there's a market for a product people will take advantage. The only way KC events could lose out would be if what they were offering were not of sufficient high standard.

To go back to the subject of juniors - our KC has a Young Kennel Club but membership is optional and only required if a junior wants to qualify for Crufts in YKC classes or attend activity events held by the YKC such as the annual multi discipline training camp. Otherwise most juniors tend to be pretty much on a par with the adults and compete against them (and of course beat them).

There are junior classes but those can be more competitive than normal classes as juniors with dogs of all grades usually compete against each other.

They are encouraged to take responsibility and my daughter had her first judging appointment at a KC Open show at the age of 14. (The minimum age has now been changed to 16 - but nothing to do with her.) Several of her peers had judged before they were 16. One junior has represented the UK at international level and has run his own training school since he was about 14. Others have won Championship Certificates.

I was just wondering how accessible is competition for juniors elsewhere.

Pam

USDAA (United States Dog Agility Assoc.) does have a Jr. Handler program in place but it's dying a slow death not many clubs here on the east coast offer it. The division does have its own courses and levels as well as judges. My son did manage to get his Jr. handlers silver before he lost interest, my daughter went straight to championship against adult competitors

Here in Australia they have Juniors although altogether from 2 clubs i think there is like 5 max. Me being 19 just missed out on Junior Handler awards. They do not run different courses as far as i am aware in ADAA, ANKC may be different. Although you can apply for JHOT with is the Junior Handling award. And various other awards for being a junior. Not much different except you need persmission to attend camps and so on.

NADAC offers a junior's division. I think the age is 17, but I could be incorrect. They run the same course by have a time allowance added on and I think jump 4'' lower then the measured height, just like NADAC's veteran handler division. Many clubs also give a 10% discount to junior handlers on their entries to encourage them and I've watched some VERY friendly judges go and help or congratulate kids.

• 3 weeks later...

I was a JH for awhile, but I aged out. NADAC you have a JH program, basically all it does (same courses) just knocks you down a jump height and gives you more course time. Once you turn 18 you age out, same titles and everything though. AKC you have to get a Junior number (from the website) and register as a JH, much like USDAA in order to run as a JH. AKC JHers run the same courses and everything, just they dont compete against adults, USDAA JH program is completely separate I believe, so JHers get their own titles. DOCNA has a JH program, but it ends when you turn 16. You get different titles for being a JH. I dont really know about the others, but most of them are the same, you just have to read the rules. IMO its easiest to be a junior in NADAC, as you dont have to do anything to get there and you still get the same titles, the height reduction is a blower though. Most juniors I know of that trial in other venues just enter and compete against the adults, since I am pretty sure there is a charge to register as a JH with AKC and USDAA.

Diane