BC Boards

What does this mean?

Josie will come up to me, sniffs me and then takes her nose and quickly "bumps" me and goes on to do whatever she was doing.

She does this when she lays down next to me or there are times she will do it when I am busy doing something and she will just come up to me and "dot" me with her nose. She doesn't do this to my husband. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what this mean to a dog?

Jin does the same thing. He also opens his mouth and squeaks rather than a silent bark. I agree I think he's just saying, "I'm here".

I agree with what everyone else has said. I love that behavior.

Pan, my severely behaviorally disturbed dog, started doing that to me after months of training and behavior modification. I thought it was cute, but brought it up to the veterinary behaviorist we were working with at the time just to be sure. She said she thought it was a good thing because for a while there she would do it on walks periodically, like little check-ins as we went, every couple minutes or so (which was good because it meant she was mentally "with" me and when she wasn't mentally "with" me on walks she was wayyyy over threshold all the time, which was not good for this dog considering how short her fuse was with aggression).

I thought it was just an idiosyncrasy with Pan, one of the things I missed a good deal after she was gone, but recently Vala has started doing it too. For both of them, I taught a "touch" command first that I praised and I think it stems from that. You know I taught them to touch my hands with their nose and praised that and then they just generalized it as a way of saying hello during walks. I've noticed it's always when they are really paying attention to me, it's not to get my attention, but more like to say (for Vala) "ok I'm back, the squirrel is out of sight, my lizard brain is gone, I will follow your lead now." Ha.

I thought it was just an idiosyncrasy with Pan, one of the things I missed a good deal after she was gone, but recently Vala has started doing it too. For both of them, I taught a "touch" command first that I praised and I think it stems from that. You know I taught them to touch my hands with their nose and praised that and then they just generalized it as a way of saying hello during walks. I've noticed it's always when they are really paying attention to me, it's not to get my attention, but more like to say (for Vala) "ok I'm back, the squirrel is out of sight, my lizard brain is gone, I will follow your lead now." Ha.

I've been keeping track since this morning while I've been working on my lesson plans. All of our dogs have done several times - from a gentle "kiss" from Ladybug to an insistent "here I am, let's do something" lift of the hand off the computer mouse from Brodie and a big bump and a slurp from Robin. I like the idea of attaching "touch" to this behavior as I need for Robin especially to pay more attention to me in general, not just when he's "checking in" and wants to do something.

Liz

Gypsy, my aussie, gives me a gentle touch with her nose if I don't acknowledge her when she walks into a room. I notice it usually happens when I'm on the computer and she's walking lightly into the room. It's like she thinks I don't notice that she's entered and she wants to let me know she's there with me. Then she'll take up her usual spot laying next to me or at my feet. Up until a couple of days ago, she was the only dog that ever did this to me. Chase did the very same thing!! When he did it, I didn't look, it was nighttime and I'm usually in the dark on the computer. I gave a pet and said, hi Gyp, and was shocked when I felt it was him! He's usually bounding into a room which causes a scene and everyone to take notice and laugh and acknowledge him. That day he actually walked quietly into the office and give me a gentle touch with his nose, just like Gypsy.

So cool :rolleyes:

I don't know but it seems like everytime I'm making something in the kitchen I get violated. I have one that loves to run her snout right up your backside.

:rolleyes: This is why I have a dog named Poke. When we first brought him home every 30 minutes or so there would be a snout in your rear end. "Oh hi, I'm right here because I love you."

ETA: My friend got the guest's treatment when she was dog sitting. "Oh hi, thanks for staying with us. I know you are in the shower and this is a little akward, you being nude and all, but I just wanted to make sure you knew I was here if you needed anything." :D

:D This is why I have a dog named Poke. When we first brought him home every 30 minutes or so there would be a snout in your rear end. "Oh hi, I'm right here because I love you."

ETA: My friend got the guest's treatment when she was dog sitting. "Oh hi, thanks for staying with us. I know you are in the shower and this is a little akward, you being nude and all, but I just wanted to make sure you knew I was here if you needed anything." :D

OMG...you had me rolling in tears! :D:D:D

Lucia pokes/bumps when she's impatient for me to continue our training. Uasually in the thigh because that's how tall she is. Kinda of a"Hey, hurry up. I'm wating here!"

Grady learned quick that butt poking was not appropriate :rolleyes: Now he tries to sneak them in when he thinks no one is looking. Kinda of a drive by poke :D

:rolleyes: This is why I have a dog named Poke. When we first brought him home every 30 minutes or so there would be a snout in your rear end. "Oh hi, I'm right here because I love you."

lol! That is too funny!

One time I was in shorts, that dog had her whole head up one of the legs before I could look down. I told the wife I hope nobody shows up in a skirt or they are in for a surprise. Lucky thing she'll just gets your attention and lays at your feet. I've been around dogs a little more persistent.

Josie will come up to me, sniffs me and then takes her nose and quickly "bumps" me and goes on to do whatever she was doing.

She does this when she lays down next to me or there are times she will do it when I am busy doing something and she will just come up to me and "dot" me with her nose. She doesn't do this to my husband. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what this mean to a dog?

Mine does this to the glider/rocker.

She comes to nudge me, if she thinks I need to be reminded of doing something. I am trying to reinforce this behavior. I want her to do this.

Thank you all for your responses. Do you think this is particular to the BC breed?

They certainly are very nosy compared to other breeds in my experience. :rolleyes:

They certainly are very nosy compared to other breeds in my experience. :rolleyes:
Yes, they are very nosy. I appreciate this about them. I like it that Molly has her eye on me, at all times.