BC Boards

Ask and you shall recieve

I've always wanted an intense dog that was "hard" and fearless; well I got him: Kes came back from 4 hours of daycare today with one skinned pad and 3 well worn pads. :rolleyes: The boy doesn't know when to stop!

Of course he's not phased at all - he's meandering around my home office trying to get into trouble...Off to look up the numerous posts on the topic!

I've always wanted an intense dog that was "hard" and fearless; well I got him: Kes came back from 4 hours of daycare today with one skinned pad and 3 well worn pads. :rolleyes: The boy doesn't know when to stop!

Of course he's not phased at all - he's meandering around my home office trying to get into trouble...Off to look up the numerous posts on the topic!

We had a Boston Terrier that would play fetch until his paws bled. We had to hide the ball and settle him down after an hour or so...sort of like I do after a few hours with the BCs but they seem more durable. I hide it now when I'M wore out. *SIGH*

I've always wanted an intense dog that was "hard" and fearless; well I got him: Kes came back from 4 hours of daycare today with one skinned pad and 3 well worn pads. :D The boy doesn't know when to stop!

That is called "drive" - Many BCs come well equipped with it. It is the reason crates were invented. And kongs and nylabones too for that matter. Regardless of their personalities, all three of mine have it. Thankfully I was able to install an off switch in two of them - Missy was quite easy, Kipp was a bit of a challenge and I'm now tackling the instillation of Kenzi's :rolleyes:

As to the skinned pads you have my sympathy. Missy broke a nail off close to her pad once. The vet bandaged it and told me to leave it on for a few days and try to have her take it easy. Riiiiight. The bandage was off in the first couple hours and I made a boot to go over the foot so she could run across the field as usual. I got quite good at re-bandaging her foot during the next week.

This is exactly what I've been after, but my two won't do any of that stuff....should I consider myself lucky?

Perhaps :D . I saw a lady at a herding clinic who loved Kipp and wanted a dog just like him. What she didn't see was the 2+ years of work I had previously put in him to get him to chill, to leave the cats alone, to listen consistently, to control himself, etc, etc....

I do love that type of dog but they are a huge learning curve!!

LOL yea I luuuurve my boy. And yes, he's taught me a lot about the proper installation of an off switch (it's almost fully installed now!), the joys of stuffed kongs, and the awesomeness of mental work when it comes to tiring puppies out. :rolleyes: He's the only dog I have that will play with an empty kong - he just enjoys play! It's so cool! :D Heck he's making me reconsider SAR already :D

Annie goes to doggie daycare for fun and socializing twice per week, usually for a half-day session. She arrives at home without having slowed down one iota, although she has exhausted the staff. Sometimes she goes for a full day; same result. When she does go for a full day, however, I have noted that she starts slowing down a little earlier in the evening (usually around 8:30 or 9:00).

Would that I had the boundless energy that Scooter has! After two long walks, three rounds of indoor soccer in the basement and two rounds of Frisbee and basketball yesterday, (even though he appeared to be asleep) he jumped up and raced downstairs when he thought DH might be going outside again! :rolleyes: He does have an off switch, but it's like he can't help himself if he thinks something might be going on that he wants to be involved in. :D