BC Boards

Gent's story

I wrote this story to post on our (East TN Border Collie Rescue) to highlight the plight of the dogs that live their lives in this puppy mill.

Gent lived in a dark world. Of course, his name wasn’t Gent then, he didn’t have a name that anyone used. He was a number. In his world he spent his time in a small cage in a stuffy, windowless barn or in an 8x10 foot kennel up to his elbows in mud and urine and feces. His only respite was when he was taken to breed yet another female in order to produce more puppies to sell for his puppy mill owner. Water and food appeared at unknown intervals and it ranged from clean, good quality and plentiful to dirty and scanty. It was a dark existence, no grass to roll in, little sunshine to warm his aging bones, no tasty treats and, worst of all, no kind human hands to smooth his fur.

In late September Gent’s existence, along with the other 107 border collies that lived at this puppy mill, was turned upside down. He was taken from his small airless cage in the barn and put in a clean, dry kennel. Good food and water were provided and humans spoke kindly to him. Life was looking up. Then, a few days later, he was faced with another challenge when he was loaded up in a large transport truck. The truck rattled down the highway into the night.

The truck finally slowed, then stopped. The doors were thrown open and there were more people, with more kind words and hands waiting for Gent and 13 of his fellow border collies. Gent was chosen off the truck by a lady with soft hands and a sweet, reassuring voice. The transport workers warned the lady that Gent was very skittish and to be careful with him. Although he was nervous, Gent tentatively wagged his tail, trying to tell the lady that he meant no harm.

The kind lady took Gent home, gave him a warm bed and a good dinner. She did start to notice that something was different about Gent. It slowly became clear. Even though Gent shared his previous world with 107 other border collies, his world was darker than theirs. Gent was completely blind in his left eye and had a very narrow range of vision in his right, vision that was decreasing daily and would, sometime in the future, be gone. He lived in that puppy mill, day in and day out, feeling and smelling his way around his cage, unable to see the steps and changes in the ground as he was led from the barn to the breeding area and back.

How would the lady react with a blind dog; especially a dog that had never learned good house manners? Simple, with kind words and patience. At first Gent’s tail wagged a little at the end and his face was so hopeful. He tried so hard to prove that he was a good dog. He was the perfect gentleman and the lady gave him his first name, Gent. He began to understand that inside the house was a no potty zone and that human hands were good for more than collar grabbing and pulling.

But there was still so much for Gent to learn and experience. The lady took him for his first visit to a park. He walked nicely on his new leash and felt the grass under his feet and the sun on his face. There were new smells to smell and new dogs and humans to meet. Gent’s dog friends ran around, playing with wild abandon. Gent spent his time lying on his back in the grass or sitting under a tree with his face turned into the gentle breeze. He had never felt anything like this.

And yet more to learn. The lady became concerned because Gent never took ‘treats’. She would hold out bits of food, crunchy bones and other soft yummies but Gent didn’t know what to do. He had never had food offered to him by a human hand. He was worried, the lady wanted him to take it but he just couldn’t. Then one day she held out something different. It smelled wonderful! He inched closer and, for the first time in his life, took a treat, a piece of cheese, from a human. It was tangy and smooth. He had never had anything like it. All of a sudden he couldn’t wait for more!

While Gent’s world remains dark it is a different kind of dark. He may not be able to see with his eyes but he now sees with his heart. He sees that people are good and he can’t stop his whole tail from wagging wildly when he hears a person talking to him. He sees that water is plentiful, food is good and treats are better. He sees that every available person’s lap is somewhere to lay his head and their empty hands should be caressing his ears. He sees gentle breezes, warm sunshine and green grass.

He still has a lot to learn but with the help of his lady he will learn it all. He knows he will and that he will someday have a family fall in love with him and adopt him to be part of their lives. He has so much to offer and can’t wait to share it with the world.

And this is Gent himself.

101609106.jpg

101609113.jpg

101609119.jpg

My very best wishes to you and all those who are helping these dogs to a good, loving, caring life!

I've seen some dogs from that place and heard their stories.

What a sweet-faced boy! The ability that some animals have to go through hell and come out ready to try a wagging tail amazes me. My gratitude goes out to all who rescue, foster, and adopt.

Poor dog. For what a lousy life he had before, he has a kind and gentle expression. Amazing that these dogs are willing to give humans another chance. They are amazing beings, dogs. And all those who have taken on Swafford's dogs are amazing as well.

Thank you.

Then one day she held out something different. It smelled wonderful! He inched closer and, for the first time in his life, took a treat, a piece of cheese, from a human. It was tangy and smooth. He had never had anything like it. All of a sudden he couldn't wait for more!

Mmmm, cheese. It possess strong magic that can overcome all sorts of fears. Pieces* of freshly baked bread is also pretty effective.

Note *: Or, in my foster's case a whole loaf that he managed to "disappear" without a single crumb remaining. Oh but it was cheese, apple and chilli sourdough, so it had double magic, I guess.

What an amazing story with a happy ending! I had goosebumps and tears in my eyes all at the same time!

He looks like a lovely chap. Wish I could give him a pat. :rolleyes:

Beautiful story, and he has such a kind face, it reminds me of Vala's (also a rescue, but from a situation nowhere near as bad as Gent's). Thank you for taking him, and for having the patience and compassion to help him understand a different type of human and forgive.

I can't help but wonder if his blindness is hereditary or something brought on by the abuse. I also can't decide which would be worse; on one hand, he could have passed it to hundreds of his puppies, and on the other hand, that's some of the worst animal cruelty I've ever heard of. Either way, it's unthinkably awful. Thank you for rescuing!

I can't help but wonder if his blindness is hereditary or something brought on by the abuse. I also can't decide which would be worse; on one hand, he could have passed it to hundreds of his puppies, and on the other hand, that's some of the worst animal cruelty I've ever heard of. Either way, it's unthinkably awful. Thank you for rescuing!

The most likely explanation is that he is a double merle. Doubling up on the merle gene can cause aa number of health problems, including blindness or lack of eyes entirely. But a double merle dog always gives a merle gene when bred, so all pups will be merle (which is why breeders will create double merles, even desptie the potential health problems). I have no idea if this is the actual case with Gent, but it's probably the most logical explanation.

The White Aussies Project website has a discussion of problems associated with double merles, including blindness.

J.

We have a local board certified veterinary ophthalmologist. He's been to see her a couple of times and her diagnosis is retinal degeneration. She doesn't think it's hereditary which is great. His eyes are formed correctly though and it's not causing him pain.

I'm not sure if he's a double merle. Most of the ones that have popped up here seem to have a lot of white and the merle spots are lightened. They also seem to have misshapen eyes and other issues. But I guess it's possible and we'll likely never know for sure.

Either way he is getting along fine. If he goes to a home with other dogs they will have to be pretty tolerant. He can't see them and will stumble over them while walking. It offends Griffin to no end and they have to be monitored closely to keep poor Gent from being jumped on for stepping on Grif. He will be posted on the adoptables page on our website in the next week or two.

Olivia

• 7 months later...

An Update:

Thursday afternoon we left Knoxville bound for Indianapolis, IN. We arrived and introduced Gent to his new home and family! His new dad had come to Knoxville to spend the weekend with Gent about a month ago but his wife didn't get to come at that time so this was her first meeting with the boy. He seemed to remember the man and quickly formed an attachment to his wife.

He started learning his way around the house and we helped him go up and down the stairs several times. His confidence was wonderful to see. We took him for walks around the neighborhood and he seemed to really enjoy all the attention and activity!

Saturday late morning we came home... leaving Gent there. A few tears were shed but he is in a great new home with a forever family of his own. He deserves nothing less.

He made a recovery from his neglected life with a kind of grace that few humans could match. He ended up losing several teeth, including all 4 canine teeth, spending a total of 9 hours under anesthesia over 2 days, a week apart. Other than that, physically, he is in great shape. Mentally and emotionally he is as beautiful as he is physically. He loves everyone, never showed the least bit of annoyance with anything, even messing around with his mouth after the dentals. He always has a smile on his face and still delights in rolling around in the grass!

What a wonderful boy and I'm lucky to have gotten to have him in my life and privileged to get to help him find his way to the next phase of his life.

Olivia

How wonderful to learn of the beginning of another new chapter in Gent's life! :rolleyes: My Odysseus came from the same place Gent did, and I found myself nodding in agreement at your descriptions, both in the OP and in this update, of how Gent acclimated to his new environments and interacted with the people in them. It is amazing and humbling to see and read about their transformations.

Thank you so much for all you gave Gent!