BC Boards

**URGENT** Help need from someone in BC

ok my new toller pup Electra is supposed to come in the begging of september, my brother was going to bring a crate up to the breeder for her to fly back in, however he just left this morning with NO crate. I CAANNOT afford to pay for a crate pluse Electra plus shipping. the breeder lives in Rosedale just outside of Chilliwak. is there anyone in that area that could take a crate for Electra to fly to me in, and that I could send back to them the the beginning of october? the crate needs to be a min. size of 27 X 20 X 19. huge thanks to anyone that could help me!

SueR there is actually a long story behind the whole thing. the jist of it is that I can afford a new pup just fine, and I had everything planned out but a few wrentches got toss in the mix and threw my plans off just weeks before she is supposed to arrive, for example one of my co-workers up and quite gave no notice just quite, which completly changed my hours after everything had already been calculated out, also my mom was going to take the crate and visit the breeder herslef, but then my grandpa suddenly came down sick, and the trip got cancelled, so I asked my brothr and he said he would drop the crate off for me, he asked to see it collapsed, and said that it would be no problem at all, however he wanted payment for the gas it took to go out of his way. then a couople days ago my mom suddenly demanded $200 at the end of the month, which threw my budget plan out the window and I had to completly start over, without that 200 I no longer have the money for shipping, I was panicking and my best friend said that she would pay the rest of the shipping for me and I could pay her back in october, so all was good, everything was working out again, when my brother took the delvery of the crate payment and left the crate, which kinda left me in the dark. if ya couldnent tell from that speil I am a big time budgeter lol oh and my moms trip got put back on but got completly changed so my mom was suddenly going up with my brother and they lost a lot of space there.

Hi Sue,

I thought the exact same thing as you. BC Crazy, I realize you're getting this pup no matter what, but if you are really into budgeting, then you ought to also consider budgeting for emergencies too. What happens if one of your dogs is injured and requires emergency vet care? Have you budgeted for that? You get my point--budgeting is more than figuring out how to spend every last cent you have.... Sorry to sound harsh, but when you run out of money everyone suffers (you and the dogs).

J.

That was also my first thought but didn't want to say it.

If you can't afford to get the pup to you how can you afford to keep the pup? Puppies need vet care and that costs money.

Are you planning on spaying/neuturing the pup?

Maybe you should have thought about getting an older rescue dog from a shelter close by.

I wish you well in the future.

Oh, I KNOW I am going to get into trouble with THIS one...

To those who have concerns about whether border_collie_crazy can afford to have a dog, I know you mean well, and are trying to be helpful. But I have a slightly different perspective. Josh Billings once quipped, "I have never known someone so poor that he could not afford a dog; and I have known some so poor that they had two." In my early years, I grew up in a very poor family, where every day was a struggle to make ends meet; yet we always seemed to have room for dogs and cats and birds and squirrels and rabbits and whatever other homeless, unwanted animal crossed our paths. When one is struggling in life, sometimes the only thing that helps us keep our perspective and sanity, and consoles us in the most difficult moments of our lives, is a companion who asks nothing more from us than love. Yes, I agree that it may be a struggle financially for border_collie_crazy; but I have "been there, done that", and I know how valuable, and perhaps even necessary, a canine companion can be when times are difficult.

Yeah, I say cut the kid some slack. Her brother took her money and then didn't do as he'd promised for the money. Her mother unexpectedly asked for what seems a huge sum to me.

When my kids were at home and worked, I would never have demanded money of them. I expected them to pay for the gas for the car we let them use (note: not their car but a car of ours that they were allowed to share) and for their entertainment. And even for clothes that we considered unnecessary or silly. We figured that was part of the deal when we decided to have kids: supporting them until they finished their educations. Not expecting them to support us.

And I'd have tanned the hide of any of them who took money from a sibling and didn't give value for it.

I am well aware of what budgeting is thanks, my mom is an accountent, and I take after her when it comes to money mangement, because I am paid only once a month the last minute wrentches make it harder then if I was say paid weekly or bi-weekly, I am a huge finacial planner, under normal circumstances I would have no problem whatsoever.

Sometimes life just hands you a pile of sh**.

A person ought to be able to ask for a shovel without being judged.

Hang in there, border_collie_crazy - things will get better, especially when that beautiful pup arrives!

thanks debC.

I think this whole thing was meant to happen, because I a very fearful person, unlike most teens getting independent I never did, I have always hated being afraid of things that normal people do every day, but I never bothered to try to get over it, I never had any reason in my mind to try. but all these wretches in my path have forced me to do things that while they are normal for other people, cause me great anxiety,in my mind Electra is motivation, I suddenly have a REASON to face my fears, it occured to me today that getting over these obsticals has forced me to become independent, I am starting to see these obsticals as helpful to me in the longrun lol

I don't think there is anything wrong with people who are being asked for aid voicing misgivings about the wisdom or timing about plunging ahead with a venture that doesn't seem to be coming together. Asking whether it is wise to push forward in light of financial shortfall is PRUDENT, not judgemental.

In my work I get calls at least once a week from folks who proudly tell me how much their purebred puppies cost while in the very next breath confess that they don't have any money left to get VACCINATIONS, or spay/neuter, or to pay for treatment of the parvo their pup just came down with. If a person cannot even afford a crate for shipping a new pup, there is nothing wrong or unsupportive with the community questioning the wisdom/timing of this new pup acquisition. Raising the question is in the best interest of everyone. Being short the money for a shipping crate is the very least thing that could go wrong and it isn't judgemental to point that out.

Since we don't know border_collie_crazy, or the full details of their life/situation, I still think that those posts (whether or not it's their intent) do sound a bit judgemental.

I guess I will have to go to the doghouse for that.

Willikers I agree that it was wise of people to ask, as you said there are people who pay a large amount and have nothing left over for anything else. but I am not those people, I DID have everything worked out with money to spare, I have been planning for this pup since early July, its only in the past week and a half that everything went haywire. when I recieve my paycheck at the end of september, everything wil be back to normal, this is a one time unexpected problem.

Why is it that someone always has to come to a thread such as this and accuse others of being judgemental? I'm sorry but if anyone comes along and says "help I don't have the money to ship my new pup to me" the natural response will be just the sort of thing you saw here. Maybe border collie crazy is the most responsible young person on this earth, but that doesn't change the fact that one ought to be prepared as much as possible for the curve balls life throws at you, and having the unexpected expense of $200 + gas money shouldn't leave anyone in a bind. If it does, then the budgeting needs a review.

FWIW, I've had jobs where I got paid just once a month. Yes, it does require budgeting. But I stand by my assertion that even when paid with less frequency, a person should have money set aside for emergencies/the lemons that happen to all of us.

So if any of you think I'm being judgemental or giving the poster a load of underserved sh!t, too bad. These boards aren't all about being touchy-feely--they are supposed to be educational too. And if it hurts someone's feelings when someone else mentions that the budgeting might not have been up to par, well, that doesn't mean the truth shouldn't be spoken.

Oh and Bustopher, I understand what you're saying. My own sister is rather poor thanks to life choices she's made. And she's always had animals too, and they are an important part of her and her family's emotional lives. But when the big problems hit, she gets bailed out financially by one of the siblings. So usually there is someone to pick up the pieces, or if not, the animals go without. And this isn't a situation where the OP needs an animal to be a companion during tough times--she's got scads of pets already (and there's nothing wrong with that either--just pointing out why your story doesn't quite apply to the OP).

Anyway, this is just another reminder to me about why I shouldn't waste my time in the general section of this forum.

J.