BC Boards

Dog Shampoo Recommendations... Itchelss, Low-Scent

I need a dog shampoo that comforts the skin and doesn't have an overwhelming lingering odor. If the smell bothers ME, with my wimpy human nose and eyes, what must it do to the dog who has to wear it?

I bought some "Spa Comfort" shampoo about a year ago, and it's just run out. It's got a relatively mild odor (compared to some smellified stuff I used before), but I can still smell it when Buddy's asleep on the other side of my bedroom. In fact, I just washed him, and I can smell his shampoo in the next room. It's tolerable, but I'd prefer something with less scent still.

Anyone got any recommendations? Skin-soothing would be great. Oatmeal, maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Mary

I need a dog shampoo that comforts the skin and doesn't have an overwhelming lingering odor.

What is Buddy's problem that plain water won't solve? Shampoo (of any sort) is unnatural and I use it on Senneca only as an absolute last line of action -- exactly once, in fact, to remove that eau-de-kennel fragrance she came to with. Since then, the shampoo bottle came out again for a stinky little red dog who I transported and I used it again on Rhys bach, whose short stay in the shelter (and consequent digestive distress) required action before he was allowed in the house. The manufacturers won't make much money on me.

Hey Mary,

I use the stuff that comes in a green bottle, it's puppy formula that's oatmeal based. Smell is low-key. The good news about BC's is that they shed dirt pretty well, but I notice Tobey's belly gets pretty dirty from time to time so that's when I wash him...

Tim

I use Kenic formulas. I wash Zhi frequently (Chinese crested - unnatural is her middle name) so I too need something mild and not too stinky. They make a fragrance-free shampoo, I think. I am pretty sure Earthbath does if they don't.

I've also used Earthbath on myself - both the shampoo and the wipes to clean up my face after coming in from farmy stuff. I have extremely sensitive skin and the Earthbath wipes are better even than my previous gold standard, Huggies natural. I also use the Emu Oil spray from Kenic on my hair (and Zhi every few baths).

What is Buddy's problem that plain water won't solve?

Well, honestly, it's not really the dog's problem. He likes to roll in poop and other stinky stuff, as any normal red-blooded dog will. But... er... he sleeps in my bed, and I have a big problem with poop and dead fish coming into bed with me. :rolleyes: Sometimes, water just doesn't cut it.

I don't bathe him much, honestly - I think this is the first bath I've given him since spring, which is not coincidentally the last time I used K9 Advantix on him. The goop it leaves on his skin does irritate the neck area, and the box advises a bath of gentle shampoo to take the irritation away. I personally don't like the idea of patting a dog with fresh neurotoxin on his neck, and I hate the period when I can see that goop still on his neck and shoulders.

I try to time my application of K9 Advantix to a particularly stinky period during tick season, when I'm starting to think about giving the dog a bath, anyway. Then, the bath kills two birds with one stone.

I'm gonna try me some of that horse stuff. Someone recommended it last time, I think... only I never got around to finding it, and needed shampoo in a hurry.

Mary

Well, honestly, it's not really the dog's problem. He likes to roll in poop and other stinky stuff, as any normal red-blooded dog will. But... er... he sleeps in my bed, and I have a big problem with poop and dead fish coming into bed with me. :rolleyes: Sometimes, water just doesn't cut it.

OK, Senneca sleeps by my side, but on the floor, not on the bed. That said, she doesn't retain the stinky stuff easily. She is blessed with a "teflon" coat that is easy to rinse off. Even Rhys bach, my foster boy, is pretty easy, now that he has blown his old sun-damaged coat. He does smell a bit more doggy than Senneca, but only when you get up close and personal. I guess I'm lucky.

Hi!

Hylyt shampoo is hypoallergenic and really doesnt have a strong smell to it... but for my pup i use epi-soothe shampoo and relief creme rinse (or it can be lightly rinsed or left on) the relief rinse helps with itch and i have found that this combo works great... even though i have only bathed him like once every 4-5 weeks if he really needs it. but brushing has helped me do less bathing...

I use B3 Salon Products on all my clients, and I absolutely love it. The smell, to me, isn't over powering. It smells very fresh, and doesn't linger, in fact I have to use their fragrances before the dogs get sent out the door to make them smell more. It has amazing cleaning power, dogs I've had to wash several times to get clean, now only need to be washed once, and possibly lightly hand washed again. It is also very gentle on the skin, and soothes itchy skin.

http://www.b3salonproducts.com/shampoo.htm

http://www.b3salonproducts.com/store.php?c...ion=show_detail

Autumn

I always had good luck using Dr Bronner's Baby Shampoo. Scent-free, mostly harmless, and lasted forever. Worked great on Lu, who had sensitive skin, and loved rolling in really awful stuff.

I'll second the "don't use show sheen on slick surfaces" sentiment. I found out the hard way not to use it where a saddle sits on a horse, either! It's more non-stick than teflon!

Etiderm Shampoo. My dogs have seasonal allergies. It gets the junk out of their fur without stripping out the natural oils or monthly preventatives. It has a pleasant smell without being over powering.

mobcmom

I also like Etiderm, Allergroom which is made by the same company (Virbac) is also good. On a side note they also have a really good flea shampoo.