BC Boards

Border Collie Aggression

Hello,

I have a female border collie that has just turned two years old, and a male wheaten terrier that is 9 years old. For the past few days my border collie has been biting and acting very aggressive to my terrier. It all started few weeks ago when I was playing with my border collie and stopped for a second to pet my wheaten terrier, who had just walked up to my side. She came over to him and nipped his face , at which time I gave her a command to lie down ; tried to physically separate them ( A bad move on my part.) a fur ball ensued, during which I was bitten as I pulled her mouth away from his throat. The good news is they are both in good health and none of the bites broke there skin. I have used every discipline technique that I can think of (short of hitting), and have consulted a local Border collie trainer with no change. The other day I watched the wheaten terrier’s foot collapse on him when he was walking, so he may have had a small seizure, but I am not sure if this would cause my border collie to have a change in attitude towards him.

Hi. You might want to repost this under the general discussion section. This area is for discussion of training for livestock work,

A

Hello,

I have a female border collie that has just turned two years old, and a male wheaten terrier that is 9 years old. For the past few days my border collie has been biting and acting very aggressive to my terrier. It all started few weeks ago when I was playing with my border collie and stopped for a second to pet my wheaten terrier, who had just walked up to my side. She came over to him and nipped his face , at which time I gave her a command to lie down ; tried to physically separate them ( A bad move on my part.) a fur ball ensued, during which I was bitten as I pulled her mouth away from his throat. The good news is they are both in good health and none of the bites broke there skin. I have used every discipline technique that I can think of (short of hitting), and have consulted a local Border collie trainer with no change. The other day I watched the wheaten terrier’s foot collapse on him when he was walking, so he may have had a small seizure, but I am not sure if this would cause my border collie to have a change in attitude towards him.

This has nothing to do with breed of dog at all and everything to do with "possession". The female dog was very put off because you stopped playing with her and petted your little male dog. Of course, she didn't blame you; she blamed the other dog and tried to get him out of the way of interfering with yours and her playtime. This can be a problem with an alpha bitch who likes to be in control so you need to be aware of the social conditions laid down by the alpha bitch to the little male. #1. They will probably get along just fine when you are not around. #2. Keep the bitch in control when you are out with both of them and let her know that you make the rules, not her. Be very aware of any posturing for attack on the part of the bitch when you are out with both of them and nip it in the bud before anything gets started. I will tell you now that you will need very assertive control with the bitch to keep her under control. #3. It will take quite a while to get these two dogs accustomed to accepting each other but it will happen if you are determined enough. Don't be nattering at her all the time though as this will just keep the tension up, just be very aware and keep a close eye on things when you are out with and nip it in the bud before it gets started. Bob