BC Boards
sandra s.

Morning hike over the fog

We had a beautiful hike through and above the autumn fog on Sunday, and had one of the most overrun mountaintops almost to ourselves as well. I'd been wanting to catch a morning like that for a while. We missed the sunrise itself, but never mind...here are the pictures:

Good morning Big Ears, here comes the sun:

3965243865_d9217660f2.jpg

After this I took the kit lens off, thinking we wouldn't be able to climb out of the soup after all and I wouldn't be needing that wide angle, but I was wrong:

3965244279_d22f5d72dc.jpg

I hadn't been on the mountains for a long time, feeling down on life in general and thinking that there was nothing up there that I hadn't seen hundreds of times anyway. Coming out of the forest, and up to this, blew the socks off me a bit. I always forget is that it doesn't look like the photos in real life, that the size of the sky itself makes so much of a difference.

3966018742_e8ca3b863a.jpg

Recreating an ice age

3965245057_7ecfbe1367.jpg

3965245569_5200bd7d0c.jpg

Yes, I've remembered to pack the all-important Summit Biscuit.

"But you broke it in half and gave Kyla a piece!"

3966020462_c751583484.jpg

3966021034_9a7f8e1591.jpg

3965247243_83c57aed64.jpg

3965247757_16df42ca81.jpg

I tend to mess the colours up when photographing towards the light. In this case they had to go altogether.

3966022372_ded13f667d.jpg

3965248311_01e64cccc6.jpg

3966023066_a32fb34996.jpg

3965249333_5f9ee980b5.jpg

turbulence over the pass

3966023858_65aca405da.jpg

Going back down through the forest, long before meeting the first of the harassed-acting grumbly Sunday tourists (who always seem so personally insulted by a mountain's height and steepness)

3966024154_7089a4bdbc.jpg

3966024442_68bbb15a4a.jpg

3965250719_ed8744e4c6.jpg

The forest pictures were taken with the 50mm-f/1.8 lens.

3965251137_fd595efcd7.jpg

WOW - breathtaking images, Sandra. Love the first one of Kyla and the emerging sun through the forest, and the views from on top of the world!

3966024154_7089a4bdbc.jpg

Those are absolutely stunning! What a feast for the eyes! This one in particular says "Being Called to the Rainbow Bridge" to me for some reason.

As always you have the most beautiful photos to share with us Sandra. Thanks for allowing us to experience your hikes vicariously. Your photos make me wish I was there too!

J.

I love the pics! I really like the one with all the bright blue sky and Kyle on the side of the hill on the right.

Just curious, when you go on these hikes, how many hours does it take to get up there and back?

I am at a loss for words. Sandra your pictures are always amazing, and these are even more so. Your photos have made Germany a must visit place in my life. They should pay you to attract tourists!

Gorgeous, as always! You have such lucky dogs. And fit, I am sure. And such wonderful places to take them. My legs are aching at the thought!

I do agree that that one photo would make a fantastic card with the rainbow bridge poem inside. When we lost our dear Bute, a wonderful woman (from here, and she won't be named) sent us a touching card with one of her beautifully-composed photos on the front.

I'm gonna cry.

Your pictures are so beautiful and they remind me of living in MT with Kellie. We used to go up into the mountains all the time...even from Germany, those pictures are just so familiar...

Glad you enjoyed them, I had been waiting for a photo opportunity like that ever since I got serious about mountain photos! I could have done a lot better with the colours I think, but hopefully I'll get that sorted out until the next time we manage to beat the fog :D

Just curious, when you go on these hikes, how many hours does it take to get up there and back?

This is a small one, maybe two hours upwards? Or two and a half...then a lot of sitting around on the top and a quick descent after we got back to the boring shadowed side.

How do they not tumble down those steep hills??? (I've always lived in hot, flat Florida USA)

It's not that steep, even on two legs I could walk down these slopes, which means the dogs can dance around on them easily. They might fall OVER, but they wouldn't fall off :D. I know these things are relative though. I would probably be very unhappy getting lost in a Florida swamp with all those yucky ants.

It does take energy to walk up a mountain though. Says Kessie. LOTS of energy apparently. Look at that:

3979747802_fd1ce16855.jpg

:rolleyes: