BC Boards

Swafford "rescue" in the news

Pat W.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just came across one of the rescue lists that I'm on. I haven't verified the info, but if it is true, I just have a few questions. First, who the hell is the AKC to be the voice of authority on what is a "good" rescue? And why in the world would they be trucking dogs to MO? I think MO has its own puppymill problems. I can't imagine that there is a real demand for MORE unwanted dogs in MO. But, I guess now that HSUS and AKC are running things, we can all breath a sign of relief. Or not.

I'm really hoping that this is just hearsay and not really the truth.

Hsus has been contacted by law enforcement in sumner county,tn where they have raid a large breeder with dogs in poor condition. Local shelters are taking what they can but there are so many, other rescue groups are needed. This person advertised as a rescue to get intact stock and to have food donated when he was actually a breeding kennel. To prevent these dogs from getting in the wrong hands again hsus has ask for akc approved rescue groups because they know they are good ones. A hsus truck is on the way to the site. they will be going to Missouri then to the north east so maybe some groups could meet the truck along the way. Any help you can offer these dogs would be great.

This just came across one of the rescue lists that I'm on. I haven't verified the info, but if it is true, I just have a few questions. First, who the hell is the AKC to be the voice of authority on what is a "good" rescue? And why in the world would they be trucking dogs to MO? I think MO has its own puppymill problems. I can't imagine that there is a real demand for MORE unwanted dogs in MO. But, I guess now that HSUS and AKC are running things, we can all breath a sign of relief. Or not.

I'm really hoping that this is just hearsay and not really the truth.

The issue I see is that unless he willingly signs some over there can be endless fighting in court. There is a case that is well documented in Green river Ky were the court case as dragged out for 6 months while the man gets his undeserved due process. He's currently appealing to a higher court after he was found guilty and the dogs languish. He's been dropped by at least 1 lawyer

edited to add: that I read the comments posted and interestingly enough he has defenders. There are people who claim that by the distant video they can see the dogs are well taken care of. Then there are others who claim that people wouldnt help his dogs anyway. Which I know for 1 isnt true. I'm sure we could absorb at least 5 if not more if he was shut down or allowed to keep only so many dogs. There are plenty more rescues that would sqeeze till it hurt to help his dogs.

I just read an article referring to a new TN Law in regards to Commercial Breeders that is suppose to take effect Jan. 1, 2010. If what I read about it is true or was passed based on the information I've found, Swafford was doomed anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if he is just negotiating a surrender either to get his numbers down to what will be legal either as a commercial breeder (I think under 75 intact dogs) or so that he does not have to get a license (I think under 20 intact dogs)

Here is one review of the law that was written earlier this year. it's an interesting read: http://doglawsatlarge.blogspot.com/2009/03...and-sb-258.html

I just read an article referring to a new TN Law in regards to Commercial Breeders that is suppose to take effect Jan. 1, 2010. If what I read about it is true or was passed based on the information I've found, Swafford was doomed anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if he is just negotiating a surrender either to get his numbers down to what will be legal either as a commercial breeder (I think under 75 intact dogs) or so that he does not have to get a license (I think under 20 intact dogs)

Here is one review of the law that was written earlier this year. it's an interesting read: http://doglawsatlarge.blogspot.com/2009/03...and-sb-258.html

The interesting part is if he is a rescue with a few breeding dogs as he claimed then he wouldnt be in trouble. I'm going to bet he hasnt fixed any dogs. We have all seen him selling pregnant females and I know for a fact he was swooping in and taking dogs out from under us at shelters either in his name or rescuers who trusted him. He never removes dogs from places where the dogs are fixed before rescue

Maybe folks need to post comments in the comments section of that news report, namely that his "rescue" at least in part serves to "manage" the overflow from his puppy mill.

J.

I read some of the comments posted so far. The sad thing is, most of the people commenting are defending Swafford. They are painting him as some sort of victim. Wake up people, just because someone puts something on a website, it doesn't make it true!

I'm going to bet he hasnt fixed any dogs.

I'd agree with this bet. After all, under the guise of his "rescue" last year, he handed over an intact male to me. There was no evidence the dog had ever seen a vet in his life, and it's taken a substantial investment to get him rehabilitated to some degree of health, both physically and mentally.

If what I read about it is true or was passed based on the information I've found, Swafford was doomed anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if he is just negotiating a surrender either to get his numbers down to what will be legal either as a commercial breeder (I think under 75 intact dogs) or so that he does not have to get a license (I think under 20 intact dogs)

There are several ways a slick operator like Swafford can get around laws or public opinion. He has been known to have "associates" in other locations and states that produce pups for sale and delivery in those areas. Of course, setting up a basically bogus "rescue" is another way of placing dogs and making a "hero" of himself.

Flying the flag, offering discounts to military or police, cute pictures of tiny pups with bright toys on the couch or with cute children - the list of ways a person promotes themselves as a "good guy" and a "responsible breeder" is endless.

I've seen a few of the pups/dogs and heard a few of the stories behind them. It's enough to turn your stomach and, sadly, he's certainly not the only one and likely not even the worst of his kind. Also sadly enough, if someone like Swafford was put out of business permanently, someone else would step in to fill his place and supply the pups that a gullible, ignorant and/or selfish demand is willing to pay money for.

What we need to solve the problem of people like Swafford is a pet-loving consumer public that is not gullible, is educated, and is unselfish. We can hopefully make progress with the first two characteristics, but I wonder if we can with the third...

Even though I do rescue I'm not willing to condemn BRB's as a whole. I know it isnt good for breeds as a whole and in a perfect world fluffy wouldnt breed to chopper just to see birth or make a few bucks on the side. I cant help but, hate people like swafford and I know for a fact that the puppy mills will take in peoples pure bred pets to breed. Large scale breeding removes the love the sense of you more than a thing.

I'm not sure what will happen on the 8th of Oct in Pa. All dogs have to be off wire they have to see sunshine for at least 2 hours a day and I dont mean through a window. Time will tell.

I resent the fact that swafford called himself a rescue and I only hope he has the good sense to sign over his dogs willingly. 100 dogs is just too many without a full time staff. I only hope that if the time comes none of the dogs that were slated to come to us wound up there.

The only upside is we have gotten dogs that have gone from a home to a shelter to a few years with a hoarder and they have turned around to be adopted and loved. They arent unsalvageble.

The saddest part is that even when you try to educate the public, there will always be the ones who would buy from a place like his. I knew a person who did. She was looking for a BC pup and when I tried to help her find one in rescue she simply didn't want to wait. She told me where she was looking and I tried very hard to change her mind. She wouldn't listen and even got mad at me for what I was saying. She got a pup from him and the poor thing looked pathetic and sickly. She needed quite a bit of vet care. She even said "I was disgusted by the place, but I just HAD to RESCUE her." This person just simply didn't want to wait. She wanted a pup and she wanted it now, no matter where it came from. I'm afraid there will always be a market with this kind of customer base out there...

The saddest part is that even when you try to educate the public, there will always be the ones who would buy from a place like his. I knew a person who did. She was looking for a BC pup and when I tried to help her find one in rescue she simply didn't want to wait. She told me where she was looking and I tried very hard to change her mind. She wouldn't listen and even got mad at me for what I was saying. She got a pup from him and the poor thing looked pathetic and sickly. She needed quite a bit of vet care. She even said "I was disgusted by the place, but I just HAD to RESCUE her." This person just simply didn't want to wait. She wanted a pup and she wanted it now, no matter where it came from. I'm afraid there will always be a market with this kind of customer base out there...

This is the saddest part with the public, my own family included that they will look at "that poor soul" and pay money to get it out of that life but, it encourages that crappy breeder to do it again. I swear it's what those type of sellers bank on. The sympathy purchase.

They are heart-breaking images but at least those dogs now will have a chance at a decent life with families and individuals who will love them for themselves and not just use them as money-makers.

Julie, I'm sorry - I shouldn't have phrased my comment about posting comments as I did. That implied that no one here but me posted a comment. What I meant to say was that people here, among many others, could contribute and hopefully that would have an effect on those reading the comments, and definitely outweigh any positive remarks.

One quote says that he will be keeping "20-25" of the dogs he's "had for years". Wanna bet they're intact and might form the nucleus of a new breeding scheme? I sure hope not but I wouldn't put it past him.

They are heart-breaking images but at least those dogs now will have a chance at a decent life with families and individuals who will love them for themselves and not just use them as money-makers.

Julie, I'm sorry - I shouldn't have phrased my comment about posting comments as I did. That implied that no one here but me posted a comment. What I meant to say was that people here, among many others, could contribute and hopefully that would have an effect on those reading the comments, and definitely outweigh any positive remarks.

One quote says that he will be keeping "20-25" of the dogs he's "had for years". Wanna bet they're intact and might form the nucleus of a new breeding scheme? I sure hope not but I wouldn't put it past him.

I keep asking if he got to keep any dogs and cant see to get to anyone who directly knows. I saw worse pictures from the HSUS the dogs sitting in Feet of mud with no hope of drying off. I'm glad the dogs are out even if none are coming to Pa. I think it will decrease the quanitity of need in Ky for us. It won't feel like we are turing a blind eye when we are too full.