BC Boards

Backtalking pup

We taught our 8 month old pup to speak, and quiet command,

to control his barking for attention. It works really well 90%

of the time. But, when I see him give me the look, put his

ears back, and purse his lips, I tell him "quiet" and I swear

he almost acts like he's mumbling under his breath at me.

Instead of a bark, it's a muffled "roo rooo". He looks at me

whole time while he's doing it, which doesn't help, because

I can't help but laugh at him. He just reminds me of my 12

year old son, that always has to have the last word. He knows

"quiet", because he gets a treat for it. Sometimes I think he

is just plain messing with me.

Another one of his little "fits", if you will, is to throw himself

down with a loud "hmmpphh" when he doesn't get his way,

or if I tell him play time is over. I have never seen or had a

dog before that acts so much like a kid.

It hasn't gone past the amusing point, yet, and I'm hoping it's

just the age phase that he's in.

Does anyone else here have a back-talking dog, or am I just

that lucky to have this brat have found me to torment?

Mike

I think dogs pick up on when we find something they do funny. Quinn sure does. And they definitely know what they can get away with. I'm fairly relaxed about vocalizations, though I do want them to hush when I say so. I'd be laughing at a dog who threw himself down in disgust.

Of my three, Quinn and the Lhasa (especially the Lhasa) will talk back in certain situations. Quinn seems to be trying to get me to engage or more likely play with him. He'll bark and snap his teeth at me when he wants something. He also has the cutest little howl when he is happy that never fails to make me smile and usually makes me laugh. He does know to quiet if I tell him, though which is more than I can say for the Lhasa who is not impressed by my opinions. If you really don't want the back chat, make it clear and I bet your smarty pants will learn.

But, when I see him give me the look, put his

ears back, and purse his lips, I tell him "quiet" and I swear

he almost acts like he's mumbling under his breath at me.

Instead of a bark, it's a muffled "roo rooo".

Senneca gets wild and bark-screams when she sees a cat. When I tell her enough!, she will continue "talk". She sounds just as if she is grumbling to herself. She also does the "hmmpphh", when she flops down, but that usually happens when I bring her into my office and she know that she has to be calm and lie down until I have done with my work.

Soda is a back-talker. She's 4 y/o... and I suspect she'll keep on. Let's she's doing something obnoxious (pretty much everyday) and I need her to settle and I tell her go lay down and I hear "HurrrrooooRoooRoooROoo..." and she grumbles and lays down. If she's yipping for attention and I tell her to be quiet, again, "Hur Rooo Rooo ROOOO..." grumbles. It's pretty funny. Yesterday at work I took her into a meeting and she ran around like a maniac for about 5 minutes, then jumped on everyone THEN tried to steal some pictures and finally I told her to go lay down and I got some serious sass. THEN she tried to get up to run around again (she even got that sneaky look in her eye) and I caught her and told her she better not get up and to lay back down and I got ever more sass. She's hilarious.

Yeah, Baz did that. Not only would he mumble under his breath but he would argue back vociferously. Abby also talks but she doens't argue she just has quiet conversations with herself.

I had a really grumpy sheltie that our entire relationship was us grouching each other. Every time I'd tell her to do something she'd let me know just how she felt about it as she did it, lol. She always did it but it was 'Grumblegrumblesnarlgrumble' as she did. She was the best dog.

I think dogs pick up on when we find something they do funny.

I agree. Daisy will sass me quite often. Sometimes she gives us a swat with her paw too for added impact. If I can tell she's about to do this, I will say, "Don't do it", she turns her head, looks at me out of the corner of her eye and does one of those bark/snaps. Very sassy. I laugh every time. If a dog is walking by and I tell her to be quiet, she usually just lowers the decibel to barely audible.

My brother's BC/Aussie mix talks back when told to stop barking. But, it's a back and forth kind of thing. Every time my brother says "Buddy, quiet!", Buddy barks, softer and softer each time till there's a few seconds of total silence and you think he's done barking, then a very defiant, under his breath, barely audible "woof!" He always has to have the last woof! :rolleyes:

Izzy talks back ALL the time. She backs up when she does it as if to say, "I can't believe you just told me I can't [fill in the blank here]. It is pretty funny. The main thing is, if you don't want it to happen, be firm and consistant. I think it's hilarious, and in the 5 months I've had her it hasn't gotten any worse.

When other people are around and she talks back, I'll say "this isn't a democracy" and that always gets a laugh out of the crowd and they think she's even more precious.

Tim

Izzysdad I think it's the name. My Izzy has a lot of opinions, all of them right :rolleyes:

Izzy talks back ALL the time. She backs up when she does it as if to say, "I can't believe you just told me I can't [fill in the blank here]. It is pretty funny. The main thing is, if you don't want it to happen, be firm and consistant. I think it's hilarious, and in the 5 months I've had her it hasn't gotten any worse.

When other people are around and she talks back, I'll say "this isn't a democracy" and that always gets a laugh out of the crowd and they think she's even more precious.

Tim

Kellie would talk back quite a bit. Her "quiet" command was "That's enough. When I want your opinion, I'll ask for it."

Kz is turning into a talker too. She complains while she walks herself all the way to her crate when I tell her "it's time for bed." Once she's in there she's fine.

Meg talked back and barked rather loud if i failed to 'jump to it'.

Now having reprimanded her a few times she has this great silent bark, she looks exactly as if she is barking but makes no sound; it is so funny.

I only do this when it is clearly a demanding bark as I don't want her to stop watchdog duties!

Boots and Renoir both do the huffy grumbles and Renoir will add in all sorts of ''Roooooo's'' But the worst is when Boots lays down in a huff, with his back facing you and then continues to grumble while staring at the wall. He alsays reminds me of a grumpy old man when he does this :rolleyes:

We have one that "roos" when she's really happy - we call it her happy howl!

That's exactly what Rhys bach does. He lifts his head and makes an "arooooo" sound. My wife says that he must be crossed with a coyote. He does it when he sees we are about to go out for our morning walk or evening dog park trip and occasionally when he sees me come out of the office.

We have one that "roos" when she's really happy - we call it her happy howl! I have a video of it, but can't get the link to work on here :-(

That's what I call Quinn's roo's too! I've tried to put in on cue along with talk and whisper, but he just looks at me like, "You don't just do the happy howl. You gotta feel the happy howl, man." :rolleyes:

Flynn likes to give backtalk too. In fact, several nights ago he started barking out our bedroom window around midnight, waking me and hubby from a sound sleep. We told him to quiet down and he settled in his spot next to the bed, grumbling away. Hubby said, "That's enough!" and Flynn continued to grumble. I told Flynn, "you always have to get in the last word don't you?" and he woofed. At that point, we sent Flynn out to the hall, where he continued to grumble. I could only laugh at that point.

We have one that "roos" when she's really happy - we call it her happy howl! I have a video of it, but can't get the link to work on here :-(

Must be Brodie's twin -- he's especially vocal in his crate --- roo rooo rooooo!

Robin is pretty silent...except when my husband comes in the door....then he runs for Ken's recliner, jumps up in it and throws back his head and howls...."Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!" Our favorite squeaky toy is home!!!!

Liz

Colt absolutely grumbles. Like the OP I have taught him "speak" and "quiet" and added in "whisper". He will often snuffle and whisper his bark just a couple more times to have the last say. I don't mind at all as long as he's not barking at those folks on the our walks. I often laugh which I think just gets him going more. He loves to make me laugh.

Do you think it's just a Border Collie thing? I really don't think I hear other dogs talking like BC's do. Lacee will have a regular conversation with you! It's hysteracle. My husband and her have conversations with each other every morning before he leaves for work and wakes me up. I lay there and listen to them and just smile! A nice way to wake up. She also will get quite loud, so I say indoor voice and she does the mummble thing. Too funny!!

Do you think it's just a Border Collie thing? I really don't think I hear other dogs talking like BC's do. Lacee will have a regular conversation with you! It's hysteracle. My husband and her have conversations with each other every morning before he leaves for work and wakes me up. I lay there and listen to them and just smile! A nice way to wake up. She also will get quite loud, so I say indoor voice and she does the mummble thing. Too funny!!

I don't think it's a border collie thing. Our Toller grumbles and 'roos' all the time. And one of our mini aussie foster totally gets huffy, and makes these big long sigh noises when all the dog beds are taken and she can't find a good spot to get cozy. My dad's old farm dog that was a setter mix use to make happy 'roos' too. Maybe it's a smart dog thing :rolleyes: seems like our dogs that don't make sounds and just go to barking instead maybe aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.