BC Boards

Using a Gentle Leader to control behaviour?

KrisK

I received a call from someone asking me if I was involved with BC rescue. She had adopted Molly from a shelter about 4-6 weeks ago and for reasons I won't go into here, she feels she might need to place her. Molly was 'hyper' after coming from the shelter so the owner is doing NILIF to control behaviour. However, she was also told to leave the gentle leader on her at all times (in the house/walking, etc). Molly was quite docile when I met her. She had been a stray but it seems clear that someone had spent time teaching her manners - sit, down. She also knew shake and kiss :rolleyes: The owner told me Molly wasn't really interested in playing. However, when I had her take the gentle leader off for the pictures, she certainly became more animated AND brought me a ball to throw :D

Has anyone ever used a gentle leader in this way? I found it odd and borderline cruel......(well maybe that's not the right word)

Anyway, here's Molly....I wish I had some room here - I think she'd be a wonderful dog!

post-3503-1252639463_thumb.jpg

post-3503-1252639588_thumb.jpg

I've heard of this being prescribed for MAJOR behavior issues (e.g. owner directed aggression), but never for something as seemingly mild as what you describe. They do market the GL as something that can be left on for up to 16 hours, but if it's having that big of a suppression effect on behavior, I'd seriously be questioning its appropriateness.

I had a foster who had some serious arousal issues and when she would get "wound up" I'd slap one on her for about an hour and put her on a tie down. It helped. I've seen them used at doggie daycares for humping, barking, etc with a great deal of success--usually for about 15 minutes at a time. See, I'd use it for minor behavioral issues but never for major.

I've used one and have mixed feelings about it. First of all though, it is not necessary to leave it on all the time. Also, dogs can be "different" if they are uncomfortable. For example, I've had to muzzle my dog a handful of times in situations around small children and she is a completely different dog. She will just lay down and not move and when she does it's very slowly and very "pouty" like. She is clearly uncomfortable with a muzzle on, but in cases where it keeps everyone safe, it's a must right. I didn't like the way my dog was with one on, so I simply trained her to control her impulses and rely on me to keep her safe. I haven't used it in years. She's not ok around kids, but I am better at managing the situation now and she's more trusting of me as well. Because I took the time to work with her. I know a muzzle is different than a gentle leader, but it's likely that she is confused about this thing on her face and therefore acts differently.

They can be used as a training tool, but not a permanent solution, IMO. If used correctly they can help you control the dogs behaviour and help get it's attention back on you while you are training, but I definitely don't feel they should be used for a "hyper" dog. Teach it to play, give it some mental stimulation, engage the dog.

The reason I don't use the GL anymore is because one day while we were walking in a park I had some young little brat run up to me, arms in the air, screaming "puppy! puppy!" and it scared the sh*t out of both me and my dog. She reacted, but I wasn't prepared and she lunged, the GL caused her head to whip around and that scared me to death. The lunge was only half hearted on her part, but if it was a full force lunge, I could imagine that her coming to the end of the lead and her head whipping around like that could only cause a whiplash type injury. I put it away after that.

Also, NILIF should not control behaviour, if done properly, which it rarely is, should teach the dog manners, trust and structure.

I wish you could take this dog too!

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Edit to correct spelling.

We used the GL with Ceana to teach her that it was ok to let go and relax on walks. It worked very well for us, and we no longer need it. We used it as a tool to break her out of the habit she had developed that leash = stress due to her reactivity and fear. Now she has become our best walker and enjoys a relaxing stroll almost more than anything else.

We used a GL on Poke when we first got him because he was REALLY into chasing cars. The GL helped redirect his attention when he was very intense about car chasing. He no longer uses the GL as well. It was a tool to address the problem, not the solution by itself. I really don't think just placing the GL on a dog will correct the behavior. There has to be training on the human side in order for it to work.

My trainer has me use a gl for Jin. He doens't like it and neither do I. If you over react a pull tohard you can lift your dog off his feet and swing him around. I still feel guilty for the couple of times I did over react and cause Jin that kind of stress. Now the only time I use it is when we are in a crowd where he can get snarky around other dogs. I keep careful control of it and so far it has not proven to be a good method of control to me. Like it wirks and all but I'm not so sure I'm getting anything positive out of it. the only advantage it seems to have is one of a bit more control.

BTW DW just said she doesn't like it either and that Jin is not a horse.

I used a GL on an adult rescue Border Collie that was reactively lunging at dogs. It was helpful because it allowed me to control her head. Having said this, I was always worried about whiplash and neck injury. Contrary to prevailing opinion, my dog was able to pull in one. I have since switched to a martingdale collar.

I've seen an instructor recommend them for uncontrollable older puppies. I would think that they could be dangerous on a young dog that was leaping all over the place. I think that the instructor should have nixed the GL and told her clients to just exercise their dogs more.

In addition to the potential of neck injury, I've read that the pressure on the nose can suppress behavior. My dog's body language was very suppressed while she was waiting at the door for me to put it on prior to a walk. If she saw another dog while on a walk, she would clank her teeth at times, which she doesn't do with the collar. While wearing one, my dog seemed to react to commands more slowly than without one. Now that I think about it, my dog is more "up" with the martingdale than with the GL. I saw a GL used on a 4 month old pitbull puppy that went from very animated to very calm (suppressed).

Like anything else, they can be a useful tool, but I would try to wean off of it. I've never heard of a dog always wearing a GL except to acclimate the dog to it for the purpose of walking them in it. Once the dog is accliminated, the GL is only used for walks.

The GL can be a useful training tool under certain circumstances, but is not the answer for every dog. Even the Premier Company does not recommend it be left on the dog. I would think the tag hanging down with the ring on it for the leash would get caught on things and trap the dog. Whenever a dog is wearing it, the owner should be right there, with the dog on lead. NEVER just leave it on with the dog unsupervised and independant of you. Never give a leash correction when a dog is wearing a GL. This is dangerous as a possible cause of injury,as has already been mentioned. It is called a GENTLE Leader because that is what it is for. Gentle redirection of the head. People who are used to giving leash pops and cannot retrain themselves should not use one on their dog. If someone want a calming device that can be left on safely, they should use a body wrap. (Used for anxiety rather than training). You can make one inexpensively using an ace bandage. But these things are again a tool for use in specific circumstances, and an "easy way out" for the short term. Training and behavior modification are the way to go. More work for the owner and takes more time, but more effective over the long term

.Kathy Robbins

I used the type that tightens around the chest and turns the dog when he pulls with Robin for a few weeks to teach him to walk nicely on a leash as he is a world class puller...we've weaned off it for the most part now. I'd not leave one like this on on a dog for hours as it is really only intended to help with walking. I had tried one of those muzzle things with Scotty when he was in his snapping phase when he first came to us....he had it off in five minutes and I never tried again. Too difficult to fit and I didn't want to depend on it in a situation where it might really be needed and I wasn't ready to control in other ways.

Liz

I use one off and on with Jack, and used it a lot when he was younger. It was great for walks and controlling his lunging behavior at other dogs. I would never leave one on, though. As mentioned, leaving it dangling like that would make me worried it might get caught on something. I'm not sure I get the idea behind leaving it on when you don't have a leash attached to it and are working on something...