BC Boards

Teething

Dashia is teething now and I have lost two throw rugs, carpet in my bathroom, a blouse (my fault I left it on the chair), a corner on my coffee table and a few other things.

I have raw hides everywhere, tons of soft toys, hard toys, a Kong and anything I can think of that will help with her teething.

Yesterday she lost her two front teeth and one bottom tooth so I am expecting a nightmare when they come in.

If anyone has any suggestions how to help with teething or other chew toy ideas to help with her teething I would love to know.

She has lightened up on the toe biting since I taught her the command let go. Thank goodness my feet are healing now.

She is my little termite and I love her despite the damage.

Hi :D

hmmm, maybe im not the best to answer, seeing as my boy never really went through a hectic teething stage....oh, no scratch that, he actually chewed alot :rolleyes:

Maybe try, stock ice cubes to keep him busy? A kong filled with something fantastically yummy!

I bet someone will have a better answer than me and I just wanted to say, hang in there, enjoy puppiness!!! hehehehe

We used to freeze wet washcloths and let Scooter chew on those. It was cold, which I assume helped with any discomfort he felt from teething, and he seemed to like the texture too. As for chewing on other things, we had pretty good luck with Bitter Apple Spray, but I don't think it can be used on everything.

Ditto on the frozen wash cloths! I would soak so old (clean) towels or dish cloths in water, twist them up to look like a rope and throw them in the freezer. Once frozen Daisy would "gum" them until the were thawed and it kept her out of trouble...for a little while anyway. My mom actually suggested it because she used to give us cold, wet wash cloths to chew on when we were teething, she said we loved them! Go figure! Otherwise, I would sprinkle cayenne pepper on other things she would chew and that was a pretty good deterrent. She didn't like getting it up her nose.

Ice cubes are the perfect treat for a teething puppy.. They also become the perfect treat for cooling your dog off int he summer.

The cayenne pepper trick works some some dogs, but not others. Senneca appears to have a mouth lined with asbestos; no amount seems to bother her.

LOL! Sounds like our experience with pouring Tabasco sauce on Scooter's poop when he was a puppy to keep him from eating it. Sniffed once. Walked away. YEA!! Sauntered back a minute later and chowed down!! No ill effects. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!!!

Dashia loves the frozen washcloths and ice cubes.

I can't open the freezer without her wanting ice cubes or a washcloth.

This weekend I am going to buy the Bitter Apple Spray and Cayenne pepper

and hopefully salvage some of my stuff.

You have to love the puppy stage......... LOL

She is a handful but such a Mommy's girl I love it!!!

Thank you again!

Try larger size durable nylabones. They last a VERY long time, just don't step on one in your bare feet.

Be very careful of fabric or anything with thread, like ropes or other tug toys. They can be useful for supervised play or training, but dogs can swallow pieces of things they chew on. Nylabone pieces are few and the size of sand. I would worry about fabric or theads getting stuck in the dog's stomach or intrestines. Could be exspensive vet bills and or a dead dog.

Just a thought.

mobcmom

Jin comes for an ice cube every time he hears the dispenser. He will also eat a bowlful of ice after we return from the eves walk because he's hot. He just stands over the water dish eating ice and dripping water everywhere then when he's finished comes to get his face dried off. It's also a good way to teach your pup to drink when you point him to water since not all dogs will drink when overheated.