BC Boards

Adolesent dog question

I'm seriously looking at a 10 m/o BC in a rescue in my area to train primarily in SAR work. Have not yet met the dog, but have had a few conversations with those taking care of her. The dog was pretty much abandoned as a pup, taken in, vetted, then rehomed. Second home had small dogs and horses so this pup stayed outside tied up most of the time. She went into rescue when they noticed her listed on Craigslist.

Despite all of that she is very friendly and outgoing with people, very people focused and food motivated, loves to learn and likes her ball. On a trip to Petsmart she wanted to meet people and was great with new dogs, noises and different types of people. Seemed unfazed by thunderstorm that went through.

My question is, with a dog this age, is what you see pretty indicative of their adult personality?

IME, yes. Though the energy level is more likely to change as the dog ages, the basic personality should stay the same if not become even more confident. I've seen fearful dogs blossom in homes, but I've not seen confident dogs become more cautious unless their new home completely isolates them.

Toy drive does fluctuate in some dogs after placement, but usually returns - Ziva had insane ball drive at the shelter, but once home with me she wasn't nearly as interested. She's now big into tug, still not as obsessed with balls.

Personally, I'd say that if she was rock solid at PetSmart, she should be pretty good. The rescue I am with show some of our dogs at a PetSmart on saturdays and I've seen dogs that would normally be fine get into squabbles etc. Those stores are very high stress environments, lots of people, sounds, other animals....it can get pretty crazy in there. If she was able to focus and willingly want to greet people in this kind of environment, I'd say she'd be a good candidate. Of course, that's just the experience I've had.

Despite all of that she is very friendly and outgoing with people, very people focused and food motivated, loves to learn and likes her ball. On a trip to Petsmart she wanted to meet people and was great with new dogs, noises and different types of people. Seemed unfazed by thunderstorm that went through.

My question is, with a dog this age, is what you see pretty indicative of their adult personality?

You've described my dog to a T, except that she was slightly younger when I got her than the dog you're considering. I'd say that my dog's personality has not changed from what I saw at the shelter (still very friendly, outgoing, food/toy motivated, no fear, loves to learn), but she has gained some manners and calmed down a lot since then. Her energy level has dropped off quite a bit from puppyhood. Her interest in balls has blossomed into the full-on obsession so typical of BC's. I've considered SAR because I believe my dog is a BC x pointer mix and she got the nose of the pointer (bred from several hounds), but we haven't gone farther than searching for smelly treats in the grass yet.

You've got some pretty good reviews here. Just thought I'd add my vote to snatching that baby up, I think she'll be great!

Things that typically change from ten months are generally for the better, particularly in capable training hands. Prey drive will continue to increase. Very rarely you'll see a dog start to get "notions" at that time - car and people chasing, etc, but in a form easily redirected. Conversely the gear box can also engage so you actually can see an increase in thoughtfulness and impulse control. As to noise phobia, if that is a total deal breaker, I'd advise going for a lab instead. But most Border Collies will work right through their hypersensitivity once they've learned their jobs. I placed a severely thunderphobic bitch as a "goosedog" and to my surprise, she found her niche doing bird strike control at an airforce base in Charleston. Neither normal air traffic noise, nor construction, nor sonic disturbances, nor incoming weather phase her while she's on the job. Off duty she hides under stuff still during storms.

Not that I'm an expert, but an important question that can affect personality is has she been spayed yet, and how long ago?

Spaying does not affect personality. All it does is remove any sexually driven behaviors. Example, Kellie was a very independant, dominant puppy before she was spayed and equally so after. She lifted her leg and shot as high as any male dog.

I generally agree with everyone else that at 10 months the dog's personality is pretty much set and she is likely to only get better as she matures. My one caveat is that my own dog became less tolerant of other dogs starting at around 18 months. She still loves to play with other dogs, but she's much more territorial with new dogs around the house and does not share toys well. This is probably due to lack of training somehow on my part (and if anyone has any suggestions on correcting this kind of behavior I'd be happy to hear them) but the difference became very noticeable right around that 18 month age.

Things that typically change from ten months are generally for the better, particularly in capable training hands. Prey drive will continue to increase. Very rarely you'll see a dog start to get "notions" at that time - car and people chasing, etc, but in a form easily redirected. Conversely the gear box can also engage so you actually can see an increase in thoughtfulness and impulse control. As to noise phobia, if that is a total deal breaker, I'd advise going for a lab instead. But most Border Collies will work right through their hypersensitivity once they've learned their jobs.

I am a Border Collie person - Lab is not an option I am willing to consider :rolleyes::D

As far as noise sensetivity goes, at this point in the game as long as she is curious but unfazed, I think I can work with that. I know noise issues can crop up later, but if everything else is right about her I can take that chance. Apparently she has had very little human contact for several months, but hasn't had opportunity to develope bad habits as she's been tied up for the most part. The rescue coordinator I spoke with said she she really responded well to the little bit she worked with her and the pup loved to learn and loved to meet people.

Spaying does not affect personality. All it does is remove any sexually driven behaviors. Example, Kellie was a very independant, dominant puppy before she was spayed and equally so after. She lifted her leg and shot as high as any male dog.

Not quite true - spaying at certain periods can cause some hormonal related behavior issues in some dogs. This pup was spayed at 6-7 months AFAIK. I prefer to wait until they are older, but if everything else seems good, I won't worry about this issue.

Thanks for the input everyone - I got an email this morning saying I was approved through the rescue, so I'm hoping to go meet her on Sat!