BC Boards

Canine influenza

Has anyone experienced any canine influenza in their area? I understand Northern VA and PA, Atlanta, and other places have had some real problems with it, and my practice owner (DVM) has gotten the vaccine and has sent out an email to our clients about getting the vaccine now before it gets to our area (Central VA).

Tell me more, listening to the CDC phone conference at a staff meeting gave me the feeling that I should vaccinate, but I also worry that it's marketing. Any real experience out there with this one?

Guest amylobdell24

Here's a link to info on the AVMA's website, and also a copied e-mail from our local Texas department of state health services...

http://www.avma.org/public_health/influenza/canine_bgnd.asp

Note: People have not been demonstrated to catch this flu from dogs

In May 2009, the USDA approved the licensure of the first influenza vaccine for dogs developed by Intervet/Schering Plough Animal Health Corporation. The canine influenza vaccine contains inactivated whole virus.8,9

The vaccine is intended as an aid in the control of disease associated with CI virus infection. Although the vaccine may not prevent infection altogether, efficacy trials have shown that the vaccination may significantly reduce the severity and duration of clinical illness, including the incidence and severity of damage to the lungs. In addition, the vaccine reduces the amount of virus shed and shortens the shedding interval; therefore, vaccinated dogs that become infected develop less severe illness and are less likely to spread the virus to other dogs.9 These benefits are similar to those provided by influenza vaccines used in other species, including humans.

The canine influenza vaccine is a non-core vaccine, and is not recommended for every dog. In general, the vaccine is intended for the protection of dogs at risk for exposure to the CI virus, which include those that either participate in activities with many other dogs or are housed in communal facilities, particularly where the virus is prevalent. Dogs that may benefit from canine influenza vaccination include those that receive the kennel cough (Bordetella) vaccine, because the risk groups are similar.5 Dog owners should consult with their veterinarian to determine whether their dog's lifestyle includes risks for exposure to the CI virus, and if the vaccine is appropriate for their dog.5,9

APHIS ISSUES CONDITIONAL LICENSE FOR CANINE

INFLUENZA VIRUS VACCINE

WASHINGTON, June 23, 2009--The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant

Health Inspection Service (APHIS) today announced that it has issued a conditional license to

Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health for a canine influenza virus (CIV) vaccine.

The vaccine, made from killed virus, is intended to aid in the control of disease

associated with canine influenza virus infection, type A, subtype H3N8. Canine influenza was

first identified as a disease in U.S. dogs in 2004, after an outbreak of respiratory disease in racing

greyhounds in Florida. Since then, it has continued to spread and has now been detected in dogs

in 30 states and the District of Columbia.

APHIS, through its Center for Veterinary Biologics (CVB), granted the conditional

license following the acceptance of data supporting product purity, safety and a reasonable

expectation of efficacy. The safety data included the results of studies that evaluated the product

under normal conditions, including field safety trials of the size and scope required for full

licensure.

Studies indicate that the vaccine can reduce the incidence and severity of lung lesions, as

well as the duration of coughing and viral shedding. The product is administered by injection,

and is recommended for use in healthy dogs at six weeks of age or older as an aid in the control

of disease associated with canine influenza virus infection.

Under the conditional license, the product may be distributed as authorized in each state,

and used by, or under the supervision of, veterinarians. During the one-year conditional license

period, the CVB will continue to monitor the product’s performance and will evaluate the

company’s progress toward full licensure.

APHIS issues conditional licenses in the event of an emergency situation, limited market

or other special circumstance. In this case, the special circumstance was the emergence of a new

virus for which there were no existing licensed veterinary vaccines.

Transmission

Canine influenza is spread via aerosolized respiratory secretions and contaminated inanimate objects and people moving between infected and uninfected dogs. The incubation period is usually two to five days. Infected dogs shed virus for seven to 10 days after clinical signs first appear. Because this is a newly emerging pathogen, all dogs, regardless of breed or age, are susceptible to infection and have no naturally acquired or vaccine-induced immunity. Approximately 20-25% of infected dogs are expected to remain asymptomatic, but can still shed the virus and disseminate the disease. Although most dogs have a milder form of canine influenza and recover, some may develop severe pneumonia.1

Canine Influenza

Backgrounder

(September 2, 2009)

This information has been prepared as a service by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Redistribution is acceptable,

but the document’s original content and format must be maintained, and its source must be prominently identified.

Clinical Signs

Virtually all dogs that are exposed become infected with the virus, but approximately 80% develop clinical signs of disease. The approximately 20% of infected dogs that do not exhibit clinical signs of disease can still shed the virus and can spread the infection.4

Canine influenza virus causes clinical disease that mimics kennel cough. As a result, infection with the virus is frequently mistaken for infections caused by Bordetella brochiseptica/parainfluenza virus complex. Clinical disease may be mild or severe.5

The majority of infected dogs (80%) exhibit the mild form of CI. In the mild form, the most common clinical sign is a cough that persists for 10 to 21 days despite treatment with antibiotics and cough suppressants. Most dogs have a soft, moist cough, whereas others have a dry cough that is similar to that induced by Bordetella bronchiseptica/parainfluenza virus infection. Many dogs have a purulent nasal discharge and a low-grade fever. The nasal discharge is usually caused by secondary bacterial infections, including Pasteurella multocida and mycoplasma species.6

Some dogs are more severely affected with clinical signs of pneumonia, such as a high-grade fever (104◦F to 106◦F) and increased respiratory rate and effort. Thoracic radiography (chest x-rays) may reveal consolidation of lung lobes.1

Diagnosis

To date, there is no reliable rapid test for diagnosis of acute canine influenza virus infection. The most reliable and sensitive method for confirmation of infection is serologic testing. Antibodies to canine influenza virus may be detected in the blood as early as seven days after onset of clinical signs. Paired acute and convalescent serum samples are necessary for diagnosis of recent infection. Convalescent samples should be collected at least two weeks after collection of the acute sample. If an acute sample is not available, a convalescent sample will indicate whether a dog has been exposed to the virus at some point in the past. A diagnosis of CI is made based on a four-fold increase in antibody titer from the acute to the convalescent sample.7

The collection of pharyngeal (throat) swabs or tracheal wash samples from febrile dogs very early in the course of the disease may also provide confirmation via polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or virus isolation.7

Other diagnostic options applicable to dogs that have died from pneumonia are viral culture and PCR analysis, using fresh (not formalin-preserved or frozen) lung and tracheal tissues. Virus detection in respiratory secretion specimens from acutely ill animals by use of viral culture, PCR analysis, or rapid chromatographic immunoassay is possible, but usually unrewarding. The Cornell Animal Health Diagnostic Center is currently accepting samples for analysis.

Treatment

As for all viral diseases, treatment is largely supportive. Good husbandry and nutrition may assist dogs in mounting an effective immune response. In the milder form of the disease, a thick green nasal discharge most likely represents a secondary bacterial infection that usually resolves quickly after treatment with a broad-spectrum bactericidal antimicrobial. Pneumonia in more severely affected dogs responds best to a combination of broad-spectrum bactericidal antimicrobials (to combat secondary bacterial infections) and maintenance of hydration via intravenous administration of fluids.

Currently available antiviral drugs are approved for use in humans only and little is known about their use, efficacy and safety in dogs. Veterinarians who use approved drugs in a manner that is not in accord with approved label directions (e.g., use of an antiviral drug only approved for use in humans) must follow the federal extralabel drug use regulations of the Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act (AMDUCA).

This information has been prepared as a service by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Redistribution is acceptable,

but the document’s original content and format must be maintained, and its source must be prominently identified.

Morbidity and Mortality

The morbidity rate (the number of exposed animals that develop disease) associated with canine influenza is estimated at 80%. Deaths occur mainly in dogs with the severe form of disease; the mortality rate is thought to be 1-5% or slightly higher. Higher case fatality rates have been reported in small groups of greyhounds that developed hemorrhagic pneumonia during outbreaks.4

Prevention and Control

In veterinary, boarding and shelter facilities, the canine influenza virus appears to be easily killed by disinfectants commonly used in these facilities, such as quaternary ammonium compounds (eg, benzalkonium chloride) and bleach solutions. Protocols should be established for thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting cages, bowls and other surfaces between uses. Employees should wash their hands with soap and water:

• before and after handling each dog

• after coming into contact with dogs' saliva, urine, feces, or blood

• after cleaning cages

• upon arriving at and before leaving the facility.

Isolation protocols should be rigorously applied for dogs showing clinical signs of respiratory disease. Clothing, equipment, surfaces and hands should be cleaned and disinfected after exposure to dogs showing signs of respiratory disease. Dog owners whose dogs are coughing or exhibiting other signs of respiratory disease should not participate in activities or bring their dogs to facilities where other dogs can be exposed to the virus.

In May 2009, the USDA approved the licensure of the first influenza vaccine for dogs developed by Intervet/Schering Plough Animal Health Corporation. The canine influenza vaccine contains

inactivated whole virus.

The vaccine is intended as an aid in the control of disease associated with CI virus infection. Although the vaccine may not prevent infection altogether, efficacy trials have shown that the vaccination may significantly reduce the severity and duration of clinical illness, including the incidence and severity of damage to the lungs. In addition, the vaccine reduces the amount of virus shed and shortens the shedding interval; therefore, vaccinated dogs that become infected develop less severe illness and are less likely to spread the virus to other dogs.9 These benefits are similar to those provided by influenza vaccines used in other species, including humans.

The canine influenza vaccine is a non-core vaccine, and is not recommended for every dog. In general, the vaccine is intended for the protection of dogs at risk for exposure to the CI virus, which include those that either participate in activities with many other dogs or are housed in communal facilities, particularly where the virus is prevalent. Dogs that may benefit from canine influenza vaccination include those that receive the kennel cough (Bordetella) vaccine, because the risk groups are similar.5 Dog owners should consult with their veterinarian to determine whether their dog’s lifestyle includes risks for exposure to the CI virus, and if the vaccine is appropriate for their dog.

Beverlee E. Nix, DVM, MPH

So, Debbie, I was planning on coming down for Friday evening and then Saturday at Donald's trial. Do you think that that would not be a good idea? I'd have to bring all three, most likely. Any thoughts?

Hi Debbie,

I also live in central Virginia and just a couple months ago my old Willy dog got a nasty case of flu.

He got really sick and dropped alot of weight. He is vaccinated yearly when he gets his regular shots

and yearly check-up. The vet said they are recommending every six months now. Willy has not left

my property in a few years unless it is for a car ride so I can't figure where he got it from. Maybe a

visiting stray touched noses with him through the fence? My young bitch did not contract it from him.

I kept them seperated when I found out he was sick but was afraid she would get it too as they run

together all the time. Luckily her shot was only about 3 mos. old and I guess still was protective. Mona.

To clarify, we have not seen any cases, but there was an article that a client read from the Washington Post that told about CIV causing some problems for clinics and shelters up there. My DVM/practice owner got the vaccine, and we have started to offer it to clients and those who travel, board, that kind of thing. As an employee, I take a dog to work every day, sometimes a couple, and I do travel with my dogs to trials pretty frequently. I think I will go ahead and vaccinate for it. We have gotten the AVMA info on it, and listened to a teleconference from a DVM in Atlanta who got it in her kennel, and it was awful to eradicate. The trouble with it is dogs who develop pneumonia, that is also quite difficult to treat.

Thanks for any advice, having had a dog with IMHA, I don't vaccinate lightly, but working, playing, and living with a number of dogs, just wanted to be sure.

Sue,

At a trial you're generally talking about a healthy population of dogs, which is different from dogs housed at a clinic or shelter, where stress can contribute to a lowered immune function and greater susceptibility to disease (not to mention the greater likelihood of animals being there who are already sick). I didn't read anything in what amylobdell posted that made me think I needed to worry about my dogs or get them vaccinated. Laura is looking after the puppies for me while I go to the trial, but for my healthy, adult dogs, I really don't think it's a big concern. Just my two cents on the subject. I am very leery of using any new vaccine--too many unknowns.

Debbie is in a different situation since she works for a vet, and so has the potential for exposure and to bring airborne diseases home to her own dogs unintentionally.

J.

Gotcha! Thank you for explaining that to me. I really, really want to go as I have never been able to go due to conflicts in scheduling. I'll combine it with a drive down to Renee's (and thank you, Julie, for suggesting her a couple of years ago) on Friday for a lesson at their new place, and an overnight at the trial site followed by a wonderful day of enjoying the trial (and maybe letting the dogs play in the creek - they will love that).

See you?

Yep, I'm setting sheep for the trial (you get the dynamic duo of me and Debbie C. at the top!), so will defintely be there. You may have to come up to the top to visit unless you're staying till the end of the trial. I may come down to run my ranch dogs though. And I too look forward to letting dogs swim in the river!

J.

I will look forward to seeing both of you, and hopefully not at a distance only.

I'm going to be there Friday afternoon/evening. If you are there, would you like to get together and maybe make a dinner? I'm no camper cook but I could plan to bring some beef and charcoal, and some salad fixings from the garden. Or maybe just beans and wienies! Or we could take my car and go somewhere to eat, although I know the choices in Highland County are few and far between.

I've emailed Donald through Sheepdog-L for directions as I just haven't managed to find them anywhere on my own.

Yeah, we rule at the top. I understand we get to work some nice woolies. I think this trial is going to be one of the special ones. Lets hope for some nice early fall weather now!

Sue, Julie is right. The thing with me is that being around so many dogs, I would tend to lean toward vaccinating when ordinarily I would not. I would think us all being out in the open, we won't have much chance of spreading any airborne stuff. If we did have any cases in here, I would likely stay away from trials. I have not vaccinated yet, and he's not compelling me to do so yet, so I'm wondering how much of this is really urgent or a wee bit o' hype. CAn't believe I said that, yes, I love my job.

So, Ms Deb, you want to get together for Friday evening dinner, or will you be coming up early on Saturday? I sure am looking forward to seeing you and sharing a hug - it's been way too long, and I totally missed seeing you at Bluegrass.

Thanks for the comments on the vax.

Directions from the entry form:

DIRECTIONS:

Anything longer than an F 150 pulling a 19 foot trailer is a BIG RIG

From the north and east and ALL BIG RIGS. From I-81: In Staunton take US 250 West until you cross a mountain. At the bottom, entering Headwaters, turn left on 616 (The only road) At the bridge T junction take Cowpasture River Rd left. We are 12.8 miles from 250. You cross the river three times. The third bridge has a sign for Berriedale Rd. Continue one tenth mile. On our right you'll see a sheepdog pointing left and on your left, a yellow ribbon around a big tree. That's your road.

IF YOU MISS IT, continue a mile or so to the Fire Department, turn around, return past the farm (DON"T TAKE THE MAILBOX ROAD), turn again and take anotherpass at the yellow ribbon road. You'll get it sooner or later.

From the south and west (NO BIG RIGS): Take the I 64 exit before Clifton Forge, Rte 42 toward Millboro Springs where you'll turn left on Rte 39. After one mile right on 678. 1/2 hr to Williamsville , cross the bridge on Rte 614. 1.8 miles to a blue mailbox #15 on your right. Descend.