BC Boards

Looking for recommendations for dry dog food

I was reading a post about fromms food and it got me thinking about my options, as I just purchased a bag of Nutro which is becoming expensive and when I checked out Fromms it was cheaper.

I don't want to open up a debate about feeding raw, I appreciate the benefits but this is just not an option for us at the moment.

I know there are some excellent foods out there but I don't have the budget for $100s for a 30+ lb bag of food. So what I am looking for is suggestions for good quality middle of the road priced dried food and if there are any I should stay away from. I should add both my dogs have pretty solid stomachs, no allergies and are not fussy.

Thanks

Kipp has done well on the Diamond Naturals line of food - it runs about $30/40# here. IMO the ingredients in Diamond naturals are better than Nutro. If you have a Costco membership, their Kirkland food is a really good one for the price - I think it's just over $20/40#. Others you could look into are Canidae, California Naturals and Eagle Pack. Those food generally run about the same or slightly cheaper than Nutro around here and, IMO, the quality is the same or better.

I don't know about price as they seem to vary a bit depending on where you live (Fromm is way expensive here). I've had good luck with Fromm, EVO, California Natural, and Eagle Pack Holistic. I love the Eagle Pack and feed it currently to all five dogs. They all do well on it, even my allergy dog and it's a lot more affordable here than Fromm.

I considered Fromm, Orijen, Cali Natural, Wellness, and Canidae when deciding. In the end I think it was the fact that I could get so many different 'styles' of the same food from Fromm- duck and sweet potato, surf and turf, etc etc.

I ordered from k9cuisine.com and the 30 pound bag was $57- which included free 3 day shipping right to my home. I believe as a puppy Jude will be at about a cup per day, so I figure a 30 pound bag should last me about 2 months in the beginning. I will need to store it in some kind of safe way so it doesn't get stale.

Some of the other kinds I looked at were more expensive and I didn't like quite as much, so I was pretty happy with it! :rolleyes:

Check out www.dogfoodproject.com

I'm currently feeding Healthwise. It's made by Natura, a good company that I trust. I have fed all of their foods, including the most expensive (Evo) and my dogs are doing just as well on the Healthwise, which is Natura's "budget" line. I pay $24 for a 17 lb bag, $42 for a 35 lb bag.

Fergie swears by PetsMart's own brand, Authority. The Adult Formula with Real Lamb (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750394&lmdn=Brand#prodTab1). It's $25.19 for 40 lbs online. I think I pay about the same at the store. The ingredients list is what got us started using it. She gets 3/4 to 1 cup, depending on snacks and activity, at breakfast and at dinner. It's been working great for 13+ years. And even the vet is amazed at her health.

I ordered from k9cuisine.com and the 30 pound bag was $57- which included free 3 day shipping right to my home. I believe as a puppy Jude will be at about a cup per day, so I figure a 30 pound bag should last me about 2 months in the beginning. I will need to store it in some kind of safe way so it doesn't get stale.

Only 1 cup per a day for a puppy? Is that a little on the low side?

Keep the Fromm's in the fridge or freezer to keep it fresh. Unfortunately, Daisy's food and mine have to split the fridge 50/50. :rolleyes:

I believe as a puppy Jude will be at about a cup per day.

Just wanted to chime in here for a second. 1 cup per day for an 8wk. old border collie puppy sounds a little low to me. They usually eat more as puppies and less as adults. So be sure to ask your breeder or vet. Looking forward to seeing pictures of Jude!

Just wanted to chime in here for a second. 1 cup per day for an 8wk. old border collie puppy sounds a little low to me. They usually eat more as puppies and less as adults. So be sure to ask your breeder or vet. Looking forward to seeing pictures of Jude!

Oh, of course I will adjust that depending on what type of eater he is :rolleyes: Just a prediction based on my previous puppies, what I read online, and what I've talked about with friends who have puppies at the moment. I also typically raise puppies with daily vegetables and fruit in their diets, so I think that's perhaps why I haven't needed quite as much kibble in the past. Of course I will not starve my dog :D Based on your suggestions though, I will try to encourage him to eat more per day.

We now use Orijen 6 Fish. We tried everything under the sun and found this brand and flavor works wonders for Layla's sensitive tummy. It's quite expensive. $17.50 for a 5 1/2 pound bag. We're ready to move to the larger bag which is $40 (15 lbs)

Sam ate orijen puppy with some extras until just last week. Be prepared to start chucking food down that wee hatch at an alarming rate! I like Fromm. I got some samples from k9 Cuisine and Jetta, Miss Picky, loved them.

diamond lamb and rice or diamond naturals, california natural lamb and rice

I feed Bess dog Canidae.. she does ok on it. She prefers Meow Mix hairball formula and steals it from the kitties every chance she gets...and I know cat food is higher percentager wise in protein.. so I don't know about any of the comments of dogs doing better with lower protein. funny thing is... diabetic kitty want dogs food instead if he can get it too... wonder if it just a sibling rivalry thing going on with the food...LOL

I feed Bess dog Canidae.. she does ok on it. She prefers Meow Mix hairball formula and steals it from the kitties every chance she gets...and I know cat food is higher percentager wise in protein.. so I don't know about any of the comments of dogs doing better with lower protein. funny thing is... diabetic kitty want dogs food instead if he can get it too... wonder if it just a sibling rivalry thing going on with the food...LOL

Same thing goes on at this house...everybody eats everyone else's food. I wonder why I bother!

Is it necessary do you think for an eight year old dog to have senior dog food? If I could feed all the dogs the same thing, and move the cat's dish up to the ceiling then everyone would be getting what they should be getting!

Liz

I've tried EVO, TOTW, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Diamond Naturals. My guys do well on any of them. So right now, with 4 dogs, we're feeding Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete.

Karen, where do you purchase your TOTW if you don't mind me asking. Thats a great price.