BC Boards

Kennel Inspections

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just yesterday I was watching "Hoarders" on tv. A reality show profiliing hoarders- none of the people were hoarding animals, but their houses were condemnable. One lady had so much rotting food- it was ghastly, and the other family was a couple and three kids. You could not walk through the house. They all (all 5) ate dinner on the parent's bed, because that was the only place that was clear. They all were threatened with either eviction, or losing their kids. I think something is very wrong when we have sympathy for people who have their kids in these conditions, but immediately villify people who happen to have dog hair on the floor, and God forbid, flies, or cob webs.

There is a realistic expectation- that is, that your house/kennel be sanitary, but you simply cannot expect a Mr. Clean environment for either a family, or a house with dogs/animals.

I think something is very wrong when we have sympathy for people who have their kids in these conditions, but immediately villify people who happen to have dog hair on the floor, and God forbid, flies, or cob webs.

There is a realistic expectation- that is, that your house/kennel be sanitary, but you simply cannot expect a Mr. Clean environment for either a family, or a house with dogs/animals.

I don't know --- there might be a veneer of sympathy, because it's probably PC, but beneath is probably still some contempt for the "hoarder" types, and if someone has an agenda, then multiple dog owners, whose environment isn't might not exactly be pristeen, are fair game to be lumped in the same category.

I'm hoping all goes well with the "inspection". (Inspection in quotes because it's something made to sound official but sounds like a bunch of bullshyte in this case). OK. Fingers crossed.

It's almost noon. She made her notation when she decided on this date that I have to be at work at noon (half hour drive). So far, no one has come, no one has called. Chief has not returned my call, no response from Board of Supervisors rep.

Everything is perfect, the dogs are being really good in their "kennel", all are clean, and it's a beautiful day out. Not sure where I go from here if they don't show or at least call.

ALL the wishes have been a blessing for my sanity. Thank you.

You know, you probably threw them for a loop -- a multiple dog owner, whose dogs aren't chained outside 24/7, living in their own waste, whose house doesn't have odor fumes wafting from it, and who (and I am assuming this to be true :rolleyes: ), isn't some wild-haired, cigar-smoking old crone running around in a dirty muu muu and flip flops telling them she's just trying to make an honest living, just trying to supplement her government check and that she really loves all of these dogs on chains and in rabbit cages.

IOW, how can a seemingly normal person have multiple dogs who are healthy, allow these dogs to actually sleep by her bedside and hold down a full time job????? Probably nothing in the manual touches on this one! What to do. What to do. So having no regard for your valuable time, they just don't show up. Your tax $$$ at work. GRRRRR

Dang, Julie, don't give me away!! I know there was class-profiling going on when the AC lady came to my hovel last month, said to herself, geez, if this isn't a possible hoarder's meth-lab/puppy mill, I don't know what is!! Gotta be at least a pomeranian-fighting operation hiding in that house, all the toys (used for baiting) strewn about, and the B/W dogs are just to throw me off.

No one ever came, no one called. AC chief has not called me back, Board of Supervisors man either. I feel like I need to go through this new routine all over again today, but I want to get my emotions in check before I call and ask what's up, and I will. My presentation to BofS is rolling around in my brain, and yesterday's no show by AC figures into it. Yes, it is possible they intend to come by when no one is here, or at another unannouced date, but that is so wrong. Talked to my DVM boss about it, he knows some of the animal politics in this county, he fears for my stirring up future trouble for myself by making a stand for my privacy, but this is so important to me. I was so ready for them. I AM so ready for them, but I also have a life to get on with, I have a nifty trial to go to this weekend, and I need to get back to normal life.

I can see your boss' point, but I admire you for wanting to take a stand. I think AC gets away with the things we've read in the other thread (over the limit) because people don't stand up for their rights. You may be causing trouble for yourself down the road, but if you don't speak out, then I think you'll always be wondering "what if." Go for it. Bringing some issues to light will at least let the powers that be know that some folks out there are cognizant of their rights and won't let them be trampled.

J.

Unfortunately AC is part of Code Enforcement here a city department with whom I have been fighting with for at least 15 years. I have filed numerous complaints against both CE and AC to no avail yet the city keeps sending it minions out to my place to see if I fall within the rules. I do but they don't think so. It has come to a point where I cringe everytime CE or AC is in the area since I have been cited for an unkempt front yard (cleaned on Mon, morns), inoperable vehicles, too many vehicles, too many dogs and most recently too many cats. Most recently AC cited me for too may cants. It seems, according to her report, that as she was driving by place and she saw several cats in my front yard and because she saw them in the yard they have to be mine; right? I have 2 cats plus a visitor for a couple of weeks not 6 like she says.

Last June I had a meeting with the city manager, not my first over the years, and he said he would look into it. So far I haven't heard a damn thing back from them with the exception of CE checking out my front yard a cojuple of times a week since Jun. I wrote the City Manager a couple of days ago to tell him told him about this, that I consider it harassment and that if it continues without a response to my complaint from the city I would sue. Now all I need is a lawyer.

My presentation to BofS is rolling around in my brain, and yesterday's no show by AC figures into it. Yes, it is possible they intend to come by when no one is here, or at another unannouced date, but that is so wrong. Talked to my DVM boss about it, he knows some of the animal politics in this county, he fears for my stirring up future trouble for myself by making a stand for my privacy, but this is so important to me.

Debbie, I admire you very much. The Board of Supervisors has no way of knowing what's going on if good, knowledgeable dog owners like you roll over and play dead. The BoS should not be hearing only from animal control on dog issues. It seems to me you are handling this in the best possible way.

I agree with Eileen and all the others who said you need to be heard. It's frightening in these times to draw attention to yourself, and it takes a lot of guts, but this is one of those times that you need to become proactive and --- I'm not saying anyone here reacts like this, just that I felt in the past the alternative to being heard is like hiding like a mouse from the cat. Since I'm such a worry wort, that's my first inclination (beaten into me by relatives who lived that way of never standing up to authority, living in a sometimes brutal Communist regime). That's always been my first response, but then I get pi$$ed and the gloves come off and I'm ready to go 10 rounds. I'm sort of going through some sh-t now, that my gloves have recently come off. I think the most powerful weapon on your side is knowledge, and, in your case, your time is valuable, you're a taxpayer, you vote, how dare they juke you around like this.

JMO. I'd like to post about my situation as well because sometimes I am just a total spineless and gutless wonder and feedback always helps.

Vicki, do what gives you the satisfaction of knowing you are NOT a gutless wonder, no matter what the outcome. I just have to watch my emotions, not get sidetracked by my outrage/annoyance with the whole thing and keep it to basics. I feel I can't get any more basic on this than my initial concern that this is overstepping government's usefulness and taking my privacy away, and privacy makes me happy.

Update: no one called yesterday, so I called AC. Round one, was put on hold for a few minutes. I dropped the phone which caused a hang up on my part, so I called again. The poor woman at the pound apologized, she said is was really busy and she was the only one there. I told her I understood, no big deal. Told her my concern, no visit, she said she couldn't answer for that, could get someone to call me. Told her the Chief never called me from a couple weeks back. She said she could put me on with him, he was there. Well, alrightythen!

Long story short, Chief said he never got the message to call me. My friend was on training this week, he'd ask her about it, I said no big deal, she talked with me and helped me come up with the questions I needed to ask him. As for why officer Bland did not come yesterday, he said he did not know why, but today (yesterday) she was off and he'd ask her about it when she returned. He was nice, gave me a long explanation of why they do inspections, and I gave him my story. He stuck by the assertion that they needed to see where the animals were kept to be sure they were in fit quarters, even if they seemed in good flesh. As for why the three visits needed, I think he protected his interests by not dismissing me on that, he obviously needs to ask her why. It could easily be because the house, and barn, from the outside looks cluttery, and obviously, I didn't have the tackroom outfitted for a kennel in the five minutes I had to do it the day she came. It is now.

His basic story is that the department does inspections to oversee the keepers of large groups of dogs, and to be a PUBLIC SERVICE (I wrote that one down) to use kennel people, in case we needed help with how to do it properly. I said I did not feel that it was government's job to teach me how to keep dogs, and that I didn't think it was appropriate use of time and funds in our caounty. He kept going on and on about how large the county is, and how small their staff was, which seemed kind of contrary to his argument for offering a service to kennel keepers to educate them on dog care. I told him flat out I felt it was harrassment and more of an foot in the door to look for violations (more dogs than reported, paperwork out of order). I told him about my predicament as a pet professional, a breed enthusiast (and a representative for the State club), and a 4-H leader of over 15 years, in that I will have caused the department three visits (if she comes) to have AC assured I properly maintain my eight dogs. "How embarrassing!"...I told him. He said, "not to worry, I'm sure you will be just fine"

Only when you say so, sir. Until then, I lose sleep and get angrier. Arghhhhhhh....

Talk about being contradictory! He says they're understaffed and it's a large county and then tries to explain away multiple visits to one property where the dogs are clearly healthy and well kept? Mystifying, but not surprising. I hope you keep your date with the Board of Supervisors.

J.

I just have to watch my emotions, not get sidetracked by my outrage/annoyance with the whole thing and keep it to basics. I feel I can't get any more basic on this than my initial concern that this is overstepping government's usefulness and taking my privacy away, and privacy makes me happy.

Debbie,

I've been following this thread with great interest, and am delighted to read the above is part of your game plan. My feeling and experiences are that when dealing with a bureaucracy, keeping everything neutral and factual and simple is the best way to get the outcome you want.

The facts are your dogs are healthy, well treated and well housed, and you can prove it. Beyond that, what could possibly be the county's concern?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I've learned a lot in this thread.

Ruth

That is a waste of time for AC, in my opinion. Especially if the state already sends someone out. I know some people that register with the AKC and if they have more than 7 litters a year, the AKC sends someone. For 3 people to come out and inspect 1 kennel is ludacris. They need to be focusing on Puppy Mills, dog fighting, hoarders and those that don't take care of their animals. I was told once that I had to have a kennel license if I had 13 dogs or more, even if they were all spayed and neutered!

What gets me, I currently work for a veterinarian that raises Golden Retrievers. He raises the puppies right in the clinic. He owns the clinic, but the clinic pays for everything to do with his dogs: Food, vacc, OFA/Pennhip, AI, kennel tech, etc. Yet no one comes to inspect the place at all. He doesn't do boarding anymore, because the cages are full of his dogs. And he pockets the money from puppies. So why is it, I have to have a licence to have 13 dogs? And I have to follow the guidelines of operating a kennel. The clinic is falling apart and stinks. The dogs are usually crammed two to a cage, not kennel, cage. I guess because he is a vet, he can get away with it?

I thought I updated this, but when I hit send, it must have not sent.

The officer came out again, Long Story Short, I passed, end of story (to her). She was pleased with the arrangements, asked me if this is where they're living now and I said yes. "Now" was yes, today, not so much. I will leave the set-up, but if I want to leave them in the house, I will. If I take them to the barn, so be it.

I spent at least an hour picking her brain on this whole thing, hard to tell if this was her need to see it through or her department's. I did learn she is not staying in this job, apparently having trouble with the higher up's, and I didn't press. Her current assignment of doing these inspections was due to an injury that made her unable to do routine calls. She said they hadn't been doing them as needed before due ot lack of manpower, but they were necessary to ensure the health of those dogs kept in numbers. My back porch (clutter), my refusal to let her in the house, and a current cat hoarder case that included a number of BC's made her suspicious of me, thus the extreme follow-up. I know of this situation, last year a friend of mine told me about a woman who was living in her car since the house was so trashed, she and another friend had convinced this woman to give up a couple of dogs to them. No idea it was in the same county, so I was guilty by breed-association.

I do plan to go to BofS, I simply want to say that the county AC department has duites that I feel are necessary for a governmental agency to perform, and that having eight healthy, legal dogs does not warrant three visits, and that the bigger government gets, the less freedom we have to enjoy our dogs. Community of friends, family, breed clubs and fellow enthusiasts can educate us on how we should keep our dogs. If we have pride in them, they will look good and be happy dogs. If not, we will police ourselves. If that fails, okay, then call AC.

As for the vet that does what Raven L is suggesting, don't know what to say there, but I would ask the questions you have about the legality of it, how he mixes a breeder business with a medical service one. If he's accredited with AAHA, he will be inspected, books, records, kennels, the whole thing, this is not government, but there's those folks too. I'd have trouble working for him.

I will update on my BofS appaearance, it is going to happen.

Very glad to hear that this is no longer hanging over your head, Debbie.

I do plan to go to BofS, I simply want to say that the county AC department has duites that I feel are necessary for a governmental agency to perform, and that having eight healthy, legal dogs does not warrant three visits, and that the bigger government gets, the less freedom we have to enjoy our dogs. Community of friends, family, breed clubs and fellow enthusiasts can educate us on how we should keep our dogs. If we have pride in them, they will look good and be happy dogs. If not, we will police ourselves. If that fails, okay, then call AC.

I would consider being even more specific, and making the point that your dogs have always been house dogs, but AC essentially is requiring you either to keep them in an outdoor kennel or to allow AC officers to enter and search your home, and that this is not a choice that government should be able to force upon a citizen in the absence of any evidence that she is in violation of the law.