BC Boards

fetch and square flanks

i enjoy your comments, having said that here is my problem

1. on the fetch, good outrun

2. good lift

3. good walk up

4. when asked to go come bye or away my dog will not make a square flank either way. he just keep coming straight on.

5. i have gone out toward him but very limited success.

6. when close he squares every time i ask him.

7. do you have an exercise or method to correct this.

8. i do not run to make correction anymore because of my age (78)

9. any help would be greatly appreciated.

bill

i enjoy your comments, having said that here is my problem

1. on the fetch, good outrun

2. good lift

3. good walk up

4. when asked to go come bye or away my dog will not make a square flank either way. he just keep coming straight on.

5. i have gone out toward him but very limited success.

6. when close he squares every time i ask him.

7. do you have an exercise or method to correct this.

8. i do not run to make correction anymore because of my age (78)

9. any help would be greatly appreciated.

bill

Hi Bill. I thought I was getting on but you have me beat by 6 years. I guess I'm still young but I am starting to hesitate to run out there also. You need to work your dog a little closer if he is squaring off good when close to you. Then you need to keep moving out a bit (10 or 20 yards as you see improvement). I also need to ask a question here to clarify whether the dog is bringing the sheep direct and straight to you even though he is not taking square flanks. I have seen dogs, line dogs actually, who look like they are not taking a flank but really are as they don't need to move much to keep the sheep on line. I actually have a little bitch, Jess, who is 8 now that can keep sheep on line and you wouldn't know that she is even moving, both driving and fetching but she is. If I do need to get her to go around the sheep I give her a hard flank with a sharp, loud whistle to let her know that I want her to get round the sheep quickly. If this is a control issue, what I mentioned about starting to insist on square flanks at a short distance and moving out as he progresses will work and it will take some time. If he is an older dog it won't take too much time as long as he will listen to you and you need to make him listen. Another thing that you could do but not all the time is to stop the dog and then flank him. A dog will more readily take a flank from the stop position, either down or on his feet than he will while moving. This is for training purposes only and you still need to give the dog the flank on the run and if he doesn't take it, drop him or stop him, and then give your flank. Use a good sharp voice or whistle so the dog knows you mean what you say and then continue on with your fetch. Don't drill to accomplish this. Mix up your training so that the dog stays interested all the time and be patient. It will come and you won't have to move those 78 year old legs too much in the time being........Good luck........Bob

Hi Bill. I thought I was getting on but you have me beat by 6 years. I guess I'm still young but I am starting to hesitate to run out there also. You need to work your dog a little closer if he is squaring off good when close to you. Then you need to keep moving out a bit (10 or 20 yards as you see improvement). I also need to ask a question here to clarify whether the dog is bringing the sheep direct and straight to you even though he is not taking square flanks. I have seen dogs, line dogs actually, who look like they are not taking a flank but really are as they don't need to move much to keep the sheep on line. I actually have a little bitch, Jess, who is 8 now that can keep sheep on line and you wouldn't know that she is even moving, both driving and fetching but she is. If I do need to get her to go around the sheep I give her a hard flank with a sharp, loud whistle to let her know that I want her to get round the sheep quickly. If this is a control issue, what I mentioned about starting to insist on square flanks at a short distance and moving out as he progresses will work and it will take some time. If he is an older dog it won't take too much time as long as he will listen to you and you need to make him listen. Another thing that you could do but not all the time is to stop the dog and then flank him. A dog will more readily take a flank from the stop position, either down or on his feet than he will while moving. This is for training purposes only and you still need to give the dog the flank on the run and if he doesn't take it, drop him or stop him, and then give your flank. Use a good sharp voice or whistle so the dog knows you mean what you say and then continue on with your fetch. Don't drill to accomplish this. Mix up your training so that the dog stays interested all the time and be patient. It will come and you won't have to move those 78 year old legs too much in the time being........Good luck........Bob

great reply......

to answer question he brings them direct and straight.

will work on this thanks and keep moving....you will slow down soon enough.

thanks

bill

great reply......

to answer question he brings them direct and straight.

will work on this thanks and keep moving....you will slow down soon enough.

thanks

bill

Hi Bill. In answer to he brings them direct and straight, that is a good sign, however he must obey you when you give him a flank. Be careful not to take something away that is very desirable though. He probably is flanking when you ask him but just not square because he is actually accomplishing what you want by doing the little flank. I wouldn't worry too much about it if he is bringing them straight and not letting them get off line. It probably won't hurt you on the fetch or the drive but it could come back to haunt you in the shedding ring and at the pen. Have to be square there. So, if you need a big square flank (sheep are really getting off line or running away or whatever) and he won't take it, drop him and then give him the flank, with lots of authority ( sharp and loud, whistle or voice) and insist that he do the flank properly. Don't let him do it wrong. With enough authority in your voice or whistle he will react to that, I'm sure. Then flank him all the way around in front of the sheep and make him drive them back to where you started. Don't do this routinely as it will get to be a habit. Throw it at him every now and then. It's a good test to see if he is listening also and will give you confidence that he will do as he's told when needed. If it doesn't work at a distance move back shorter and work from where it does work and then start moving out to greater distances when you see improvement. BE IN CONTROL BUT NOT CONTROLLING!... Have fun......Bob