BC Boards

Another Question about that 17 month old dog

Hi Bob,

I hope you don't mind that I ask another question about your neighbor's dog. When I hear of those special types I always wonder what was done with the dog and if something was done differently. I'm always interested in how others handle/bring along their young dogs with hopes of it helping me find the best formula for my pups/young dogs.

Anyway, do you know how much stock time that dog was given prior to him coming to you? And what was done with him?

Deb

Hi Bob,

I hope you don't mind that I ask another question about your neighbor's dog. When I hear of those special types I always wonder what was done with the dog and if something was done differently. I'm always interested in how others handle/bring along their young dogs with hopes of it helping me find the best formula for my pups/young dogs.

Anyway, do you know how much stock time that dog was given prior to him coming to you? And what was done with him?

Deb

Yes, I sure do as my neighbour just lives up the road from me about 1/2 mile and we are pretty good friends. I bought my first border collie, Del'Mar Turk, from him. The dog, "Del'Mar Kep", had some exposure to sheep from the time he was about 6 months old but only in the form of circling and trying to catch him to stop him from working when Dave was finished trying to train him. He was and still is a very keen dog that lives to work but at that age he was not ready to take much direction other than just balancing. At 17 months he was ready. He spent a lot of time in the kennel with other dogs and he could see sheep when they were on the pasture opposite the kennel which was about every third week or so. I don't really believe that his upbringing had much to do with the way he started. He was never abused and was always treated kindly but he had very little introduction to sheep while growing up but he was treated very kindly and taught to do as he was told around his owner who is demanding as far as obedience goes. I believe very strongly that his breeding had more to do with the way he started than anything. Imp. Nell was a very good strong bitch from a very stockwise, biddable line being out of Johnny Wilson's Jan, a daughter of his ##Spot Double Supreme Champion and by Bobby Henderson's Kep, a son of his Double Supreme Champion, ##Sweep. She was a full litter sister to both J.H. Wilson's Sweep and Bobby Henderson's Spot, the 1st. and 2nd. placed Scottish Nursery Champions of 1999. Spot went to Joni Swanke after the Nursery and is now owned by Michelle Howard of CA. My Pat is out of Jess, a daughter of Canadian Champion, Peter Gonnet's Moss and my Del'Mar Turk who is a grandson of Bobby Dalziel's Double Supreme Champion ##Wisp. IMO I would go out on a limb and credit the breeding with the ease of training and the intelligence of this pup. He's a good one........Bob

I guess what I was looking for was as to how much was done, it was as I envisioned and hoped you would answer, not much other then basic manners and waiting for the dog to let you know when he was ready to take training. Not really thinking that what was done created him, but what was not done allowed it to come out pure, true and easy. I hope that made sense....

Thanks a bunch

Deb

I guess what I was looking for was as to how much was done, it was as I envisioned and hoped you would answer, not much other then basic manners and waiting for the dog to let you know when he was ready to take training. Not really thinking that what was done created him, but what was not done allowed it to come out pure, true and easy. I hope that made sense....

Thanks a bunch

Deb

Yep, makes lots of sense Deb. That's really what it ws all about. Dog had no bad habits and was taught good manners while growing up and he came to me ready to listen and work with a ton of willingness and the brightness to get it all the first time. I really can't say enough about him and I would really like to find another like him but they don't show up every day do they? Bob

Yep, makes lots of sense Deb. That's really what it ws all about. Dog had no bad habits and was taught good manners while growing up and he came to me ready to listen and work with a ton of willingness and the brightness to get it all the first time. I really can't say enough about him and I would really like to find another like him but they don't show up every day do they? Bob

No, they don't, I just hope I recognize them when they come past my door, I wonder how many get missed by others.

Deb