BC Boards

Free the Murder Hollow Bassets!

Yup, that's definitely true. Likewise true is the fact that there are breeders keeping and breeding dogs under horrific conditions - and that's what is prompting these laws.

No, I have to disagree with this comment. I think a lot of the pubicity and the sensatioanlism is pushed by AR groups like A/C , H$U$ and PETA, they'd be thrilled if there were no more pets period....There are already laws on the books to address "horrific conditions" yet they are not being enforced and new stronger more costly laws are being introduced.

If it comes down to "rights" we will all be in trouble if our right to own animals is limited by goverment and open to legal search and seizure. I'd rather the BYB's and horrific PM's be left alone than to see laws that allow strangers to raid private property and seize animals w/o cause. Cause imo is not "noise", that is irratting at most but not hazardous. At what point do people wake up and object to these laws that allow the government to enter your home under the auspice of A/C? How did this law get passed in PA?

How did this law get passed in PA?

I dont think these are new laws at least on a state level. We have had a license for 2 years and knew about it before the rescue started. Over 26 dogs at any point during the year, get a license.

The zoning thing is new this year but, I think you were also always bound by municipal rulings of dog limits. Scranton Pa has a 6 animal limit I think poss it's 6 dogs but, that could include house cats. The zoning was to be able to change the puppy mills to commercial businesses being conducted on residential and farm only land. Alot of puppy mills were granted grandfathered status anyway.

I've read tons of stuff on both sides of this law and can see both sides. The arguments have helped us better understand what the rescue needs to do but, we also sought and attorney who read alot of the arguments for us and gave us advice.

I still dont know that the new law that went partially into effect Dec of last year has bearing on this issue.

Just as an update, now that the dust has somewhat settled: it seems Ms. Willard, Master of Hounds, had this hunting hound pack since 1986 and had always gotten dog licenses for them. Which the county issued, so they knew she had them. In response to one complaint from a neighbor, "animal control officers" showed up, with flashing lights in the middle of the night and with transportation to haul off hounds, and told her she could either surrender the number of hounds over the limit or they'd seize all of them. Whether you're Sophie or Hobson, not much of a choice, right?

Since Ms. Willard "voluntarily" relinquished ownership of the hounds, they are now gone forever. She has no due process rights: no hearing, no opportunity to be heard, nothing.

What would've happened if she'd said no? They might've seized all the hounds. But Ms. Willard (and the other owners) would have had notice and an opportunity to be heard as to their disposition. (OK, more than likely. I had one case where dogs were seized and euthanized within 24 hours because the pantywaist "humane officers" bit off more than they could chew. But I sued the county and the shelter and they had to pay my clients some $$$$$. So anyway.) Now? Those hounds that Ms. Willard signed over are the property of Philadelphia county. Period.

Just to be clear. Ms. Willard was not a breeder. She had no puppies. She's a seventy-something year old lady who kept and trained working dogs. Sound like anybody y'all know?

There is a disturbing trend in some jurisdictions to have volunteer Animal Control Officers. Do y'all suppose this is an attractive position to the Animal Rights folks? In many jurisdictions, these folks attend no training at all, or minimal training. And they are then empowered to go out into the world and make judgments as to whose animals are being mistreated. Do y'all suppose PETA encourages their membership to become volunteer ACO's?

What do y'all think these folks might make of the old-timey working BC who lived in a stall in the barn? Reckon they'd make off with the dogs in Babe? :D:rolleyes:

I am just so saddened, above all, for the dogs. A pack is the hunting hound's life. I know, because I have lots of them sleep over at my farm during the fall. The occasional hound will get separated from the pack and crash here, have a bit of supper, but by first light he's outta here and back to the pack. In ten years, I've only had one hound remain more than overnight - and she had only lived with her new owner for a week or so when she got lost (her owner told me when he came to pick her up). These bassets, who all their lives knew nothing but working and hunting and chasing with their pack mates - will never see their packmates again. And if they act neurotic about it? Well, undoubtedly, it will be the fault of their abusive former owner.

Oh, and BTW: if someone shows up on your doorstep, you do not have to let them in unless they have a warrant. And if they have one, be sure and read it. Warrants must state with particularity what they are searching for (good old Fourth Amendment). So if the warrant says they're searching for border collies, don't let them go through your sock drawer unless it's big enough to hide a collie. :D

I'm going back to the website I posted before there are reports that she was beligerant to the officers when they finally cuaght her at home and she threw rocks at the police cars. Along with denying then the right to "look around"

08-11-09 -- PSPCA Cites Basset Breeder for Lack of Vet Care, Sanitation

By: Amy Worden, Philadelphia Inquirer

A Philadelphia woman, whose illegal kennel was the subject of a raid last month, has been charged with failing to provide vet care and for poor sanitation.

Wendy Willard, owner of Murder Hollow Bassets in Roxborough, was issued 22 citations during a follow up inspection on Friday, according to the Pennsylvania SPCA.

Willard, who competed her hounds at prestigious sporting dog events around Philadelphia and in Virginia's fox hunting region, surrendered 11 dogs to humane officers on July 27. The officers found filthy kennel conditions and dogs covered in feces and infested with parasites, the PSPCA said. The agency removed the animals because there were 23 dogs on the property, 11 more than are allowed under the city's animal ordinance.

Willard was given two weeks to make improvements and get vet care for the remaining animals, but the PSPCA said in press release that when the officers returned last week "overall living conditions remained poor."

Willard was issued 11 citations for unsanitary conditions, 11 citations for lack of veterinary care and two tickets for barking. Graphic photos of the dogs detailing their condition and their housing have been turned over to the district attorney’s office. Efforts to reach Willard were unsuccessful.

Agents first went to the property on July 21 in response to neighbor complaints about noise and order. When they found no one at home they left a card telling the owner to contact them. When Willard failed to contact them, they returned on July 27 to inspect the property. Willard refused and threw stones at the officers' vehicles as they left, said George Bengal, the PSPCA director of law enforcement. They returned later that day with a warrant to search the property.

The dogs were turned over to Basset hound rescue groups, the PSPCA said.

Like I said you wont impress me with the "filthy and parasites reports without pics but, The fact that she was reinspected with then giving her 2 weeks and her place was still not within the state standards still has to speak for somethig.

I'm going back to the website I posted before there are reports that she was beligerant to the officers when they finally cuaght her at home and she threw rocks at the police cars. Along with denying then the right to "look around"

<snip>

Like I said you wont impress me with the "filthy and parasites reports without pics but, The fact that she was reinspected with then giving her 2 weeks and her place was still not within the state standards still has to speak for somethig.

I agree - without pictures, there's no way to tell if the inspectors were biased or not. But that may also be true for her alleged failure to remedy. FWIW, I don't believe I will ever again allow anyone onto my place without a warrant. I have, twice in the past, in response to neighbor complaints. Not where I live now - I'm way out in the boonie - but when I lived in neighborhoods. Once a neighbor claimed I wasn't providing water, and I let AC to show them I had a water bucket out of sight in the shade - another time a neighbor complained that my dog acted vicious, so I let the ACO come in and meet the dog (who wasn't vicious at all, of course).

But now? Huh uh. Too many AR wingnuts being hired as volunteer ACOs by municipalities strapped for cash. So I don't blame Ms. Willard at all for not letting them in until they got a warrant.

So, does anyone else find it ironic that Michael Vick has been signed by none other than - Philadelphia? :rolleyes::D Dogfighters are ok - just don't lets have any rabbit-huntin' grannies. :D

I agree - without pictures, there's no way to tell if the inspectors were biased or not.

We were advised that if they inspect and take pics that we should take pics of everything they do.

I'm sure the citations are going to stem from the way hunting dogs are kept in Pa and the new standards. They are trying to force a no chaining law and there is a law against standing on Wire and no wood for dog enclosures.

Another thing is I havent seen the owner of the dogs except in pictures at a public event from a few years ago. We are all sure she is capable of caring for that many dogs on a daily basis and to an inside city limits standard. Kwim

It's being circulated on the hound and hunting lists that Ms. Willard will be defended by the NAIA Trust

I've included a link to their website because it's very informative about legislation around the country affecting the rights of animal owners. Worth a look if you're interested in these kinds of issues. :rolleyes: