BC Boards

Toe/feet biting

Well it is that time to puppy train again. We are guessing Dashia around 12 weeks old; since she is a rescue we are not really sure. The rescue group said they were guessing she was 8 weeks when we got her on June 27th. Our vet thinks she maybe a couple of weeks younger. She was 9 pounds on July 18th and has put on a few more since. Her next set of shot are on August 8th. She is growing fast.

I have been trying to research what breed she is I think she is part Bohemian Shepherd. Has anyone had any experience with this breed? The coloring, ears are an exact match and from what I read she fits a lot of the personality traits. I need to get a picture so I can get some ideas if I am correct.

Toe biting, I never had to go through this with Nikita all she wanted was a tennis ball. Plus she was quiet; Dashia is quite the clown, stories for another post. Any suggestions how to stop toe biting? When I am trying to get ready for work and all she likes to do is bite my toes. I tell her NO she backs off for a second stalks me then pounces back. I say it firm but she just looks and me and comes back to bite my toes again. She does not take me seriously. I am a giant chew toy to her. My arms and legs show it. I tried squirting a water bottle when she bites and saying NO and she just plays with the water. I have another water girl I think.

I feel bad for Dashia; she is already suffering separation anxiety when I go to work. Nikita also suffered this so she just left me presents everywhere when she got extremely upset with me. Dashia screams at the top of her lungs. As I am leaving I can still hear her screaming. I feel bad because I don’t know how long she does it for. She also leaves presents but we are still potty training.

Otherwise she is a very good puppy. She is starting to chew but has plenty of toys and rawhides that keep her busy. I guess my biggest issue right now is the toe biting how to stop it, help please!!! There will be more issues to come I will need suggestions for I am sure.

I just don’t know how much more my toes and feet can take :rolleyes:

Ahh, puppies! LOL! When I first read the title of your post, I thought she was biting her toes! :rolleyes:

Can you put her in a time out when she does it? Only a few minutes, just so she realizes when she does that she gets removed from the thing she loves---YOU.

SA--you say she leaves you little surprise packages when you leave her? She's still pretty young. I doubt she's doing it on purpose. Sounds like you don't crate her when you leave her alone? That might be the best way to deal with it. And of course the other tried and true methods--don't make a big deal about leaving or coming home, etc.

HTH! Puppies are fun, and challenging! :D Interesting to discover their individual personalities though.

Enjoy! They grow up way too fast. Some day you may be longing for the "good old days" when she wouldn't stop biting your toes... :D

Thank you for the suggestions and link for the puppy refresher book. I need to refresh myself because it has been awhile. So I am going to read it ASAP.

I like the time out idea and I am going to start doing that today when I get home. Then she will realize you bite Mommy’s toes you are timed out from Mommy. Then she will start associating the two and hopefully stop biting my toes. Then she can lay by my feet and my toes/feet will be safe and I can begin to heal.

No I don’t crate her, but I am beginning to think it would be a good idea especially while I am at work. I just have the house as puppy proofed as possible. But crating sounds like a good idea at least until she is potty trained then she can use the dog door.

I need to learn not to make a big deal when I leave or come home, that was my error I did with Nikita and now Dashia. I just feel guilty for leaving and I am, so excited to see her when I get home. So that is my mistake which I need to work on so she does not have behavioral problems. Since Dashia is more ahhh lets say wild than Nikita her training needs to be more disciplined. I was very fortunate with Nikita she was smart and very obedient, she was an excellent student. I just hope Dashia turns out to the same.

Dashia is so cute she follows me everywhere. She is defiantly a Mommy’s girl. That is what I wanted and needed. Now I just need to train her properly so she is well behaved.

Thank you!!!

I don't know since it has been forever since we had a puppy around but I am thinking Bitter Apple or something similar that the puppy will not like the taste of along with "Ahh, Ahh" or other verbal correction?