BC Boards

O/T Zeeke's going in for x-rays

So it started last week with a slight limp after the dogs were playing in the back yard. We just noticed that he was favoring a paw ever-so-slightly. We really wondered if we weren't making it up. He was fine within an hour.

But then it happened again and we really took note of it. I checked over his leg and paw, didn't see anything, but he looked very obviously unhappy with having that leg picked up. So we just watched it.

Friday morning hubby and Zeeke were playing inside and Zeeke slipped on the hardwood floor and fell on that side... he jumped up yiping. He wouldn't sit down, he was not putting any pressure on his right back leg. I called the vet right away to make an appointment.

Saturday morning we took him in. The vet checked his back legs over, both of them. He saw no visible problem with the right leg - no muscle problems, no knee problems, no pad problems. He also checked the left leg to see if there were any differences. He moved the left leg around. But when he picked up the right leg and moved it from the hip Zeeke yelped.

So it's definitely his right hip.

We made an appointment for wednesday for him to get hip x-rays taken to tell us if it's the socket or if it's soft tissue damage. He's a german shepherd, a purebred with an unknown lineage, and I've always feared hip displasia. I'm worried about him. So please keep him in your thoughts on wednesday. :rolleyes:

Poor Zeeke! :rolleyes: Hope he'll be ok!

It definately shows your heart Natalie, that you are so worried about him after all the troubles he has caused you!! Are you the one taking him for his appointments? Even though vets are so scary to dogs, I find all of them are more bonded to me after we have been through a vet visit together. May as well use his temporary disability to your advantage!!!

Hope he feels better soon and you get good x-ray results.

Usually my husband and I both take Zeeke to the vet. Last time I went alone he knocked some things over and broke them, oy - he gets a little out of hand when he's that worked up.

We just dropped him off for the x-rays. She said we'll hear from them by 2.

Poor dog. I hope very much that the x-rays show that everything is in best conditions. On wednesday I`ll think at Zeeke and send good vibrations.

Well, Zeeke, all the very best for you and good luck 014gc5.gif

Bad news guys.... it's hip displasia, and it's pretty bad. He showed us the x-rays... his hip joints look so aweful, they're shallower than they should be and the ball and socket are very rough, there's some bone spurs around the joint as well. We were sent home with cosequin to try to help slow the progression and rimadyl for the pain he's in... and basically we were told that he'll probably need a full hip replacement. The cost of the two medications is around $150 per month (OMG), and I'll be looking it up on the wholesalers. The hip replacement will be over $5000 he said.

I'm so angry at the people who breed indescriminately, who have let this breed develop such huge problems like HD, who have let it become so prevalent. GSDs are so popular, everyone with two brain cells breeds them. And look what it's got them.

I'm just angry, and sad, and frustrated... hubby hasn't said a whole lot, he just went to take a nap. His last dog had bad HD in old age, bad enough he couldn't get up stairs or anything, and he is just very upset that Zeeke has it so young.

Oh sh*t! :rolleyes: I'm so sorry!

Maybe he'll take it like Timmy, who had bad hips but never let them ruin his day...

I don't know if this will make you feel anybetter, but my parents dog has had total hip replacement, one fame hip and a bone graft on the other hip. this is one he was about 6mths old. now at 6 years old he shows no problems, just when he gets older he will have more joint pain then normal.

i hope that everything turns out alright,

keep us posted

I don't know if this will make you feel anybetter, but my parents dog has had total hip replacement, one fame hip and a bone graft on the other hip. this is one he was about 6mths old. now at 6 years old he shows no problems, just when he gets older he will have more joint pain then normal.

i hope that everything turns out alright,

keep us posted

Aww that's tough. Wonder if this condition might explain some of his growlyness.

For pain you might want to check into Traumeel - it's a homeopathic someone recommended to me on the board after Maggie's accident. It's supposed to be a decent substitute for NSAIDs (which I think includes Rimadyl, Deramaxx, etc.) and I certainly noticed that Maggie seemed more active and comfortable once we started using it. It's about $20/bottle here (which is about a month's supply for Maggie) - definitely would lessen the monthly costs vs. Rimadyl if it worked for Zeeke.