BC Boards

Bandit almost killed

It finally happened. I've been going to dog parks for 10 plus yrs. Less these days, but occasionaly went to a few.

Yesterday, Bandit was almost killed and I thought I broke my hand.(Crushed tendon) One of the worst days ever!

We were at Peta dog park around 11 am. Only 2 other people were there, guy with kerin terrier, And woman with 2 mixed large dogs.

Both looked like possible pit mixes.The woman had the black male dog for a good while, then recently rescued brown female dog.

Because it was a hot day, Bandit was spending most of the time near me and the 2 other owners under a shaded tree, under chair.

After chatting for about 45 minutes with other owners, All of a sudden, the woman's brown female dog was on top of Bandit trying to kill him.

Bandit was screaming , unable to do anything, while the dog kept bitting holes in Bandit's head and ear.

The woman had no success trying pulling her dog off, while I was trying to get Bandit out from under the dog.

My only option was to punch the dog on the side to get it to release Bandit. Which it did, but still came after Bandit while I was pulling Bandi away.

The woman finally got control over her dog.

When I checked Bandit, to my amazement, I could not find any blood at first.

later his left inner ear was full of blood.

I was at the vets office 30 minutes later to have his ear treated.

I was shocked when the vet began shaving Bandit's head, and found 5 puncture wounds.

Vet sent me to emergency Vet Hospital. Bandit was there till 12 midnite.

I thought about posting pic of Bandit, but felt not everyone would care to see what the dog did to him.

Lance

Lance

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!!! I hope he recovers.

I'll also make a confession right here and right now.

As part of my survival gear I always cary the most important 4 items. Water, phone/whistle, lighter and knife. Now I have another reason for the knife. I'm not above protecting my dogs with lethal force.

On the other side can you find and sue her for the vet bills and such. Also file a complaint. If she's been to the dog park one she's bound to turn up there again.

Hope Bandit and you are all right.

It never ceases to amaze me though...people here give helpfull info all the time yet only after something bad happens do some stop to re-think. I am not surprised, sorry yes, not surprised. Especially after all the talk here about dog parks. Maybe it's like the kids that think they are invincible...it always happens to someone else

Ugh. That's really awful. I got 3 stitches on Memorial day after getting between Buddy and an off-leash dog who came at us on the street. The pure adrenaline rush that hits you in such a crisis is almost as traumatizing as the actual scuffle - I was fearful of dogs approaching me for weeks after my "incident."

I hope Bandit is fine. I really hope that you got that woman's information. If this is a new dog she adopted, she may have been surprised by this - which really sucks for her! If this isn't the first time her dog has done this, she most certainly should have known not to have the dog at a dog park for any reason.

(I feel a certain amount of sympathy for her, imagining that she adopted this dog who might very well have been surrended for this very reason, without the knowledge of the rescue organization.)

Bad thing all around.

Mary

When I walk Annie around the neighborhood, I carry a kubotan; it can either be used as a weapon, or shoved into the back of a dog's mouth. (If it's dark, I carry a C-cell flashlight; serves the same purpose.) In the woods, I carry a 54-inch walking stick with a rubber tip; remove the tip, and there is a spike underneath. All are legal, but can be used very effectively for defense if one has the proper training.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you both. I sure hope you both are ok. I also hope you both are on strong antibiotics, as dog bites aren't pretty and just when you think you're fine, it gets worse. So please seek medical attention for you too.

Dog parks.... Never been, won't go. Each time someone here posts about a tragic incident at one I am reassured that I've made the right decision.

OK, just "asking" but why do some feel that the woman owes compensation? This was a "public" place, people who enter know the risks don't they? Now, maybe she feels bad and will offer to help with compensation but why does she "owe" it?

Speaking for myself, I think she owes compensation because it's the decent thing to do. Can't speak for anyone else.

J.

I'm with you 100%. It's a strange concept to an increasingly large number of people these days. :rolleyes:

I agree that, based on cause and effect (Dog X attacks Dog Y without provocation) and basic morality, the woman should be footing at least half the vet bill. Since her dog attacked the other one, I actually think she should be footing the entire vet bill. That only seems responsible and right to me.

Mary

So sorry to hear about Bandit and the attack on both of you. I hope you are both ok soon!

When I initially got my dog, I had this notion that my dog should have dog friends -- not really sure why I thought this. ... :) Anywho, it became very clear to me that dogs see this issue quite differently in many cases. We've been attacked several times on walks, and Sky now assumes the worst about most dogs we meet. Some who we see regularly in passing, she hates with a passion even from afar. Of course I don't ever let this escalate, but I tend to avoid dogs we don't know, and I don't think I would ever set foot in a dog park. I know many people do, and their dogs have a wonderful time, but all you need is one bad experience and you are at the vet and hospital or worse. Plus you have to deal with the psychological aftermath.

As far as paying for the vet etc., I have no idea what the law is on that, since it did not happen in somebody's home. However, if it were my dog, who attacked, I would most certainly offer to pay the bills. I realize that some people simply cannot do that lacking the finances, but I would try to offer something as both compensation and apology. That would be the decent thing to do!

Again, I'm sorry this happened to you!

OK, just "asking" but why do some feel that the woman owes compensation? This was a "public" place, people who enter know the risks don't they? Now, maybe she feels bad and will offer to help with compensation but why does she "owe" it?

Why? Because a dog owner is responsible for the actions of their dog(s) 100% of the time. Period.

Does she "owe" compensation? Absofreakinlutely. :rolleyes:

Speaking for myself, I think she owes compensation because it's the decent thing to do. Can't speak for anyone else.

You can speak for me on this one! Years ago, I met an acquaintance when were both out walking our dogs. As we chatted, her two malamutes suddenly attacked my Lhasa. Somehow, we were able to separate the dogs. The Lhasa had a few punctures but nothing too serious. The woman ran to call my vet for me (this was before everyone had cell phones) and offered to pay all the bills. When I said we could split the cost, she countered with offering to pay 2/3 since she had two dogs and I had one. I told her that I held people responsible, not dogs and since there were two of us, 50% was fine.

Did the woman set her dogs on mine? Of course not. Was she as shocked and horrified by their behavior as I was? Definitely! Did she help make a frightening experience easier to get through? You bet and I'll always think well of her for that. She did the decent thing and in fact went out of her way to help me. Bad stuff happens out there that sometimes we can not avoid. The least we can do for each other is try to make it a little better if we play some part, however unintentionally, in the bad stuff-- such as own a dog or dogs who attack other animals.

Lance, hope you and Bandit make a speedy recovery.

I've never set foot in a dog park, and am becoming increasingly leery of even taking Scooter out for walks. Too many unpleasant encounters recently with antisocial dogs and clueless owners.

Hope you and Bandit heal fast, both physically and mentally.

Pam

Why? Because a dog owner is responsible for the actions of their dog(s) 100% of the time. Period.

Does she "owe" compensation? Absofreakinlutely. :rolleyes:

If it had been the womens kids that had attacked and injured bandit the law would have held her legally responsible. Same thing with dogs. If you're dog causes damage you are legally responsible. Additionally she should accept the responsibility of her dogs behavior. First I don't believe her that this has never happened before since those kinds of incidences are not isolated. Second no dog is 100% guaranteed safe. Not even a puppy.

She owes the vet and doctor bills.

Additionally she should accept the responsibility of her dogs behavior. First I don't believe her that this has never happened before since those kinds of incidences are not isolated. Second no dog is 100% guaranteed safe. Not even a puppy.

There is a first time for everything. Maybe what you say about previous incidents is right but also there could have been some aggression, but nothing on the level poor Bandit suffered until the day in the park.

I knew the 2 malamutes that attacked my dog. They had each been in obedience classes where I assisted the teacher. They had each been lovely dogs with no sign of aggression in the 10 week course. But they had each been in class without the other dog present. I had never seen them around dogs when they were together. So I never hesitated to go up to them with my dog to say hi.

I felt quite guilt ridden that I had led my dog into such danger. When I told the obedience instructor about the incident, he was as shocked as I had been. This made me feel better about my judgment, especially after he pointed out that dogs may behave very differently with in a pack type situation than when alone. So can people for that matter.

I don't know...I see people here saying "sue" her and all the rest of the "make her pay" yet all we have is one side of the story (no Lance, I am not doubting you) however, did Bandit "do" something to provoke this dog that Lance isn't aware of? I absolutely agree, a responsible owner would offer to pay all or a portion of the medical expenses but...even Lance said he didn't find any marks until the vet shaved Bandit. I just think some opinions here are jumping in a tad bit quickly and judgmental w/o all the facts.

ETA - what's the saying about "use at your own risk"? I think it's been said before on the boards that dog parks are not generally the Ritz Carlton :rolleyes:

I don't know...I see people here saying "sue" her and all the rest of the "make her pay" yet all we have is one side of the story (no Lance, I am not doubting you) however, did Bandit "do" something to provoke this dog that Lance isn't aware of?

I must have missed the "sue her" comments. I don't remember any "make her pay" sentiments either, though I haven't gone back to reread every post. What I saw were people saying if the attack was unprovoked (as in self-defense or responding to being jumped, not giving the other dog a hard look), then yeah, the woman should pay the vet bills. Some feel it would be the ethical, right thing to do. Others said the woman was legally responsible for her dogs action which probably would involve going to court if the woman refused to pay, though, again, did anyone say to do that?

If by the question "did Bandit "do something to provoke this dog," you mean eying the other dog or some other canine body language, I'm sorry but that doesn't merit multiple puncture wounds. If the dog is that reactive, he doesn't belong off leash in the park. And yes, I understand "use at your own risk," but that goes both ways. In addition to running the risk of your dog being attacked, you also run the risk of addressing ethical and legal obligations if your dog attacks another dog or bites a person.

I don't use dog parks because I don't trust dogs I don't know and I trust their owners even less. Probably the majority of the time, these parks are safe and fun but the older I get, the less I want to take risks. Especially in a society that is not only "sue-happy" but responsibility averse.