BC Boards

Harness idea?

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has done this or tried this before? I was thinking about getting a harness for my BC for when we go roller blading. He loves, loves, loves running when I roller blade with him and honestly I don't mind if he pulls me. I wouldn't mind having him pull me a bit or run ahead during roller blading (helps me anyway! He is not so far ahead either to where I loose control. He's also only 38 pounds, so that's not much of an issue as I've been blading for years). He is presently trained to heel while on a walk, run, or hike so it's not an issue with him running ahead constantly. I only allow it with the blades (which he knows). However, I'd rather not use his collar. Anyone have any harness type ideas? Brands? Thanks!

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has done this or tried this before? I was thinking about getting a harness for my BC for when we go roller blading. He loves, loves, loves running when I roller blade with him and honestly I don't mind if he pulls me. I wouldn't mind having him pull me a bit or run ahead during roller blading (helps me anyway! He is not so far ahead either to where I loose control. He's also only 38 pounds, so that's not much of an issue as I've been blading for years). He is presently trained to heel while on a walk, run, or hike so it's not an issue with him running ahead constantly. I only allow it with the blades (which he knows). However, I'd rather not use his collar. Anyone have any harness type ideas? Brands? Thanks!

I ran a two dog roller skating team for years. Lots of fun but it can be dangerous for oyu and the dogs at speed. Start by learning about scootering or sled dogs. Here is a link to a Scooter outfitter's harness page. Have fun.

Since DR forgot the link, I'll provide. Alpine Outfitters is where a lot of scooter people (and mushers) like to get their harnesses.

Also, check out dogscooter.com for lots of info about choosing harnesses, training the dog to keep the gangline straight, etc. Downside is you may find yourself lusting over one of their full suspension scooters...

Do a search on skijoring for harness & tow lines. I got ours here: http://www.ultrapaws.com/

We've only done it on snow (don't have sidewalks or pavement around here where we could do rollerblades or scooters), but from reading the big problems are (for you) crashing - snow's a lot softer than concrete :-), and the amount of wear the pavement can do to the dog's pads. Pulling the extra weight puts more stress on them than just walking or running would.

I've used the Urban Trail Harness from Alpine Outfitters for blading with dogs in the past - I really like the design and the quality is outstanding.

I used to rollerblade for exercise back when I lived in an area where paths for blading were abundant. I took dogs along too. But it seems to me you defeat the purpose of exercise for yourself (if not your dog), if you get the dog to pull you. I used to skate at pretty high speeds, and the very occasional wreck (often caused by someone darting in front of me) was pretty ugly. I can't imagine what it would be like if there was also a dog attached to me....

J.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on a harness!!

I'm a fairly competent skater as I've been doing this for 13 years. Presently I have "beginner" wheels on my rollerblades which make it exceedingly difficult to go too fast. :D My goal is not to go 35mph. He can pull me without pressing top speed.

He is also under voice control and will slow down if I tell him to or "leave it" in the case of people, rabbits, cats ect.

Julie, I believe that blading with him will allow him to actually exercise (rather than not). He gets to run at his speed, not mine (I slow him down), and I have noticed that after our blading outings he's much more content and TIRED. So I know that it does work him out well. As for me, it is a workout for me as we rarely go top speed (the wheels on my skates are not meant to be fast- which is good when you're with a dog). Besides, it's not something to do everyday just a couple or few times a week to break up those days when I'm lazy and don't feel like running or going for a hike with him (which most of the time doesn't wear him out anyway). :rolleyes:

I like sakiting at hi speed. I did have a very cool setup for it. Two single harness so the dogs wern't tied together and halters long before the gentle leader type to steer with. Sled cdog commands and off we go. As for being physically fit and staying that way working dogs at hi speed on a curvy path does wonders for everything yur working with. It's not easy to control dogs at speed and like I said before it does take practice. Oh yeah along with the proactice go the wipeouts. Sthats the reason for the single harnesses and halters. Just let them go and the dogs are safe. Just teach them to lie down as soon as the tethers are released. One other thing put the faster dog on the outside.

A good source for information about dog-powered sports and links to suppliers is Sled Dog Central

Personally I wouldn't be brave enough to try blading with my dogs, I crash too much even skijoring. I'll stick with my sled or dryland cart :rolleyes:

ETA: A shortie style harness designed for skijoring would probably be a good choice for blading with. I'm not sure how many companies sell them but you can check them out at AKKO Sports (their JH model), that's where I buy all my harnesses. They're great quality and really good people to deal with.