BC Boards

This dog will be the undoing of me!

Her and her focus/poop issues.

Psyche will start pooping in the house, and I'll stop her, take her out, and wait with her for her to poop. We'll stand out there, she'll run, graze, and when she's done doing ANYTHING BUT pooping, she'll come sit and give eye contact.

Is there anything I can do to get her to stop fooling around, and just poop? I know a friend who sticks a match in her dogs bumy to make him poop. Could I do this? Or should I just try to wait her out?

It's making me crazy, and it's making her potty training really hard - even though she's 9 months and should be potty trained! I've started with verbal praise and a "good poopy!" when she poops outside, and I bring her in and treat her, but until I get the treat, it's a big deal "Oh, you're such a good girl. Good poopy! Good Psycho! Gooooood dog! Lets go get a treat, huh, pup? Yeah? A treat for a good poopy!" all in a high voice, and my acting like a fool...

Any tips or advice? I can't leave her out alone, and on the bad days (weather wise) I don't want to stay out the hour it would probably take for her to finally poop.

Advice, please. This is making me crazy!

Leash her when you go out. Then, as a reward, unleash her after she poops.

It also sounds like you might need to go back and work with her on house training again (atleast from what you said here about her using the bathroom in the house, and almost using the bathroom at your hotel last weekend on the other forum).

She and I are having issues with her asking to go out. She asks, but it's very quiet, and very short. I've been considering a bell, but never got one.

Leashed she still does the same thing, eats some grass, then offers eye contact. I'll turn, and she'll follow, and when she gets sick of that game, she stands there beside me.

She just barked at the door to be let out - I let her out and she pee'd. She got BIG rewards for that. I'd LOVE it if she barked when she needed out.

She's now standing in the dog room, barking at me, by the door to go outside... Maybe I wont love this. :rolleyes: But barking's better then cleaning up messes in the house!

Treat her like a little pup - take her out and, if she does not do her business, bring her in and crate her. Take her out shortly (half hour, hour, something like that), and give her the chance to go again. If she doesn't, back to the crate. Repeat as needed. Instead of the crate, you can tether her to you or to a location that you can monitor.

Make sure that you have cleaned the location(s) where she has messed in the house with an enzyme cleaner specifically for that purpose. Otherwise, the scent remaining will let her know that that is the right place to go.

Housetraining can be frustrating - well, at least I know it can be for me. I was about to pull my hair out on Dan when, overnight, he decided that he was trained and he's been quite good since. But, up until the day before the "switch" turned on, he had to be taken out very often or I'd have a puddle in the house. And I mean "very often" - like every hour.

It can be particularly difficult if a bad habit has been established - you will need to be even more persistent and insistent because you are working to "undo" a habit that she has learned.

Best wishes!

PS - Anyone who choses to stick a matchstick up a dog's butt should first try it on their own self. There are much more humane, safe, and sensible ways of dealing with this.

Troy was the same way he understood you pee outside but didn't want to poop. He would hold it till he came inside then try to go. We would scoop him up and take him back outside and nothing. Even on leash we would walk him for a bit still nothing. Bring him inside he would swat. The match trick would make him yipe and it was hard to keep it in and put it in. We were told to use a baby product. Can't think of the name but its just a piece of wax stick type thing that err umm helps baby poop. Within minutes he would go if he had to go. Then he was paised and treated. Within a week his potty habits got better. It also help when we were in a new place and there was too much distractions to go or he wasn't confortable enough to potty. Such as at agility trials...

I would not put a match up my pups bum...

take the treat out with you before it goes so you can reward more quickly.

baby suppository is far safer, but who wants to stick their finger up the pups bum either...

it is always the most frustrating right before the breakthrough...hang in there. and for crying out loud, get the bell! (I soon quit with that cause Bess decided it was a way to get to go out, and out was less boring than in.)

Emma has been going outside since we got her within 2 wks of using pee pee pads and then moving the pee pee pad out side and using the command hurry up in a real low regular voice, at the same site every time and then, when she was a puppy at 8 wks every 2 hrs or sooner and an hour after eating and then say good poop or pee after going in the proper place. She was very smart and caught on very quickly. Now you ask her if she has to go out and she sort of talks to you with a play growl. She will be 5 months old tomorrow and still goes to the same spot to pee or poop, but she can hold it much longer and has long seen her pee pee pads even have a lot of then left because we thought we would need then, but they were not needed she just got it real good. First time at vets she had a pee accident when one tech would talk to her 2 times but after those 2 times she has been good. I have been trying to get a photo of her doing a paw stand when peeing but have not been able to get the shot yet. She picks her back feet off the ground and just stand on front paws.

One of my shelties was very difficult to house train and I remember having to go back to basics at about 9 months with him...it didn't last long, another month and he hasn't had an accident since, so try not to get too frustrated. I agree with leashing her when you go out, I'd also have treats with you in your pocket and treat her right away instead of when you go inside. Also, none of my dogs ask to go out, they're just on a schedule, so you may need to specifically teach a cue, and until then continue to take her out every few hours regardless, just like you would a smaller puppy, until she is fully trained.

Of all the times my dogs have gone to the vet and had their temp takin, not once did they feel the need to take a poo. The only way I can see the matchstick working to make it poo is to light it after inserting. Course, you may have to look for the dog in the next county! :rolleyes:

Seriously, Sue's advice is spot on.

I agree with Sue. Go back to crate training. How long have you been working on potty training? It took Elmo and I about a week.

I would also treat immediately after she poo's/pees with the praise. Otherwise she won't put the treat + action together.

Also, to get her to poop take her for a run or exercise. Usually a dog will have to poop then especially if they've had a meal 30 or so minutes before. :rolleyes:

Oh what terrible memories! I thought Truman would never housetrain. He was a rescue who'd never been on a leash so at 13 weeks he was too afraid to go potty with us watching and we didn't have a safe place to leave him either. To cut a long story short, we had to find a bush and turn away - removing the leash whenever possible. He didn't like the praise or attention I initially used, so we stopped making a big deal of it. He still tries to find some privacy on our walks - ground cover, low hedges - he'll drag you to them when he really needs to go!

On the indoor issue, we found giving him an 'ok' spot to go in the house lessened our frustration. The spot (or spots) he most frequently went we'd cover with a half a dozen newspapers when we left the house and remove them when we were home - taking him out as frequently as possible when we were. Of course his privacy issues meant he wouldn't like to go in front of us in the house either so whether we were home or not we closed all access to hiding spots like bedrooms and hallways.

As he got older we'd use less and less papers when we left. Giving him a safe place decreased the tension when we'd come home (even though we didn't use harsh discipline, I'm sure my feelings were quite evident).

Truman showed the same lack of interest as Psyche, but I realized for him it was an anxiety so we found ways to reduce that and he became much more reliable. Somewhere along the line it stopped being an issue altogether. One of these days you'll look back and realize the training is over for Psyche too!

1Also, to get her to poop take her for a run or exercise. Usually a dog will have to poop then especially if they've had a meal 30 or so minutes before. :rolleyes:

That's great advice, and what is pretty common in our household. The dogs are walked about an hour after their morning meal, and usually very shortly after their evening meal, and they all tend to get their business done with regularity as they are heading out to play/run/fetch, or right after on the way home.

I did try with the exercise yesterday when I had her out.

Looks like I'll just be taking the dogs out very hour or so (all of them. We have 8, but it's near impossible to get just one out when that one dog is barking and excited). She's good about pee'ing outside, just gets too distracted to poop outside.

I've been trying to get her poop schedule down pat. We feed Raw, and they're fed around 11 at night. Should I be waiting a half hour and taking her out to poop then, or waiting until the morning?

She's used to pooping and peeing on leash, I'd assume because at her first home she was taken outside on a leash all the time.

I've only had Psyche for 4 months (wow! Feels longer then that!), and she was supposed to be house trained when I got her, but we soon learned she had been peeing in her crate, and pooping and then eating it, so if she was doing it in the house, the owner wouldn't have seen.

In spite of the excitement it causes in all the dogs, taking her out by herself might be very productive - she will be less distracted (as you've noted) and it won't be fun but will be a "business" trip. It is also good for all the dogs to learn that one may go out and they may not be the lucky one this time. It teaches some patience...

I just took her out again, right after she had been out to Pee, and she pooped. I brought her ball as a reward, because she'll just focus on treats if I have 'em out there and wont do anything.

I played some ball after she pooped.