BC Boards

Need "good surgery" vibes for Maggie

Maggie's tooth repair from last summer ("patch" for a broken carnassial molar) failed last week and so we are having the tooth extracted tomorrow by our regular vet (not the crazy dental vet thankfully). Since she'll be under general anesthesia and it is a major tooth, we'd love to have some good vibes if we could.

This surgery is a great thing for Maggie as it means that after a full year of no heavy chewing allowed she'll be able to go back to her favorite nylabones after she's healed up. Ever since the repair failed and thus I started allowing her to have bones again, Maggie has been obviously less stressed and happier in general - it makes me feel bad that she's been unhappy for the last year (and that I spent so much on a procedure that caused undue stress, too), but we do *know* we're doing the right thing in having the tooth removed this time around.

The vet says she'll need to have mushy food for the first day or so after, but should be back to normal within a week. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!

Fly got both of her upper large carnassials (I can never remember which premolar they technically are) extracted earlier this year since they were both broken to hell and not salvageable. She was pretty miserable for the first evening but wanted to chew on everything the next day. Maggie should be fine.

Fly will still chew stuff but since she's missing teeth on both sides it takes her forever to finish whatever she's chewing. She doesn't mind though.

Best wishes for Maggie! Our MacLeod had an upper molar taken out on both sides when he was about 12 years old (both were broken) and he was much better off very quickly afterwards. A broken tooth is no fun.

Good luck, Maggie! My Jack is probably headed for the same thing in the not-too-distant future. And no, we won't be using the dental vet either, just our good ol' regular vet. I would have to take out a loan or sell one of my children in order to afford the dental vet and the titanium crown!

Thanks guys - we're getting ready to head out in about 15 minutes - the good wishes and success stories have me feeling better, even if Maggie's ticked she's not getting fed this morning. :rolleyes: lol

I hate going to the dentist, too! :) Fast recovery and happy chewing afterwards!