BC Boards

dog seeing owner's privates

If you pee in the woods with your dog present, he is much more likely to pee companionably along with you than to stare at your genitals -- if he takes any notice at all.
I wonder if dogs would pee over where owner peed in the woods...if they are dominant maybe?

Next time I am in the woods, I will try and see with my dogs...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's been covered on this forum before, but...start with him on a long line in a safe area. Let him drag the line around, don't hold it. Call him, run backwards if necessary to get him to chase you (more fun than coming to a stationary person). Reward every time he comes. Step on the line and then reel him in every time he thinks about blowing you off or not coming. Don't chase him down or punish him in any way for not coming, just reel him in. Tell him good boy, and then do it again. Repeat as many times as necessary to get the message through that coming to you is the ONLY alternative. Then, go to different safe locations and try it. Then try it with distractions like other dogs or people. As far as the stays go when hiking, I'd leave his leash attached - as the stay should only be within arms' length anyways.

Originally posted by INU:

I wonder if dogs would pee over where owner peed in the woods...if they are dominant maybe?

Inu,

I have had the opportunity to test this many times. I have any number of bitches who spend their time trying to pee over top of the previous dog's pee--literally lining up for the privelege, and sometime peeing *on* one another in the process. Not once has any of them ever bothered to pee on top of a spot I've used, and I've got some dominant ones for sure! I suppose one could take two views on that: a. I am most dominant and so they don't dare or b. (most likely theory IMO) I am a human and they are dogs and so they see no need to place their scent over mine.

Lance,

I don't quite understand why you are upset with Eileen's comments. I think most of us were a bit baffled at your concern--hence all the stories about nudity and bathroom habits with our dogs. Even if some folks here do treat their pets as their "children" or get all "goo goo" over them, I think the vast majority also understand that animals have a different world view (perception) of things. The fact that you worry about an animal seeing your genitals means that you are anthropomorphizing, that is, projecting human motives, morals, feelings, etc., onto your dog when your dog just doesn't have that view of things.

I'm sure plenty of us are modest when it comes to other *humans* seeing us, but frankly I don't even consider what the dogs, cats, lovebird or any other non-human creature in the house thinks if they see me naked--and that's because I don't believe that they *think about it* at all! (In other words, I just can't see one of my animals looking at me when I'm getting ready to get in the shower and having an *opinion* about the way any part of my body looks!)

Still, in your situation, I think the solution I offered you is perfectly workable, even with a 6-ft leash. Lie the dog down, turn your back to him, and go!

J.

INU, yes! I learned that when I first got Boyden. You know how long my driveway is? I was about halfway down and went, and he sniffed, then peed on the same spot. I couldn't "mark" back over it, but from then on I shoo'd him away and wouldn't let him sniff it. He shows no interest now.

He also marked everything the first couple/few days I had him, but he doesn't anymore.

He also went and marked over Fynne's pee spots when she first came, but he hardly ever does that anymore.

He'll rush over and mark over certain other dog's pee at the dog park, but not all of them, or all of the time. I haven't seen a pattern, except they were all males, or maybe some were females who lift their legs. I haven't seen him mark over one who squats.

Originally posted by INU:

quote:
If you pee in the woods with your dog present, he is much more likely to pee companionably along with you than to stare at your genitals -- if he takes any notice at all.

My male dogs will pee over where my husband has peed. That's how he gets them all to go before pulling them in for the night. :rolleyes:

Julie I'm not mad at Eileen any more. Or anyone else. Maybe I over reacted. As someone stated some people were making fun of me.

I spoke to my siter this morning on the phone. Being that were grew up in the same modest household, I asked her if any of our past dogs growing up or her present dog has ever seen her nude. Her answer was no. I was checking to see if maybe my memory of my family was acurate.

There has got to be alot of intellegent people who know animals have a different world view (perception) of things. But still don't feel comfortable being nude around animals.

Enough said...I don't want to beat a dead horse!

Lance,

everytime you post you seem to get more and more sensitive.

When you post a topic like this you have to be ready for honest answers...and not get squeemish when they aren't what you wanted to see.

Eileen didn't say anything hurtful or insulting

to/about you.

A lot of people love their dogs and look on them as their " kids" but there is a world of difference between real children and dog substitutes.

It is a strange question. You've got some very good responses.

I can't believe I'm actually going to contribute to this thread , and I will underline straight away that it is in a fun spirit , no offence intended , but I don't see why if it's made so many forummers laugh they should all pretend to the contrary , it did look like a joke ...

This morning we were socializing with other dogs at the park , they were all having a great time , and this big dog went straight to his lady owner and peed on her leg , totally immodest , and she just laughed it off gracefully ...

Well my point is that these things don't EXIST for animals , so don't worry about your dog , but on a less light note Heaven forbid you ever have to go to hospital because that'll really sandbag you .

Well, having been asked similar questions many times by various clients, I took the question as legit, even though I'm another one to whom it would never ordinarily occur to wonder "what will my dog think of this?" It just wouldn't cross my mind, based partly on upbringing and partly on history (of my own interactions with/observations of animals.) Being a vet has been an eye-opener in this regard, however, to say the least. I think Eileen's point about WHY this might be a problem (as in, is it based on morality vs. other issues) is a good one, though... the REASON for the concern varies with the client, and it's had to answer the question the owner is REALLY asking, unless you know WHY they are asking.

As a BTW, I will say my dogs may follow me companionably around regardless of where (or if! :rolleyes: ) I'm going, but that seems more to be about companionability than any specific interest on their part. However, the one bathroom event that DOES seem to specifically interest them is vomiting. This is not that much fun at the best of times, but try it with a cold BC nose stuck in your ear or trying to wedge itself into the bowl to better inspect while you're at it. :D

Originally posted by AK dog doc:

However, the one bathroom event that DOES seem to specifically interest them is vomiting. This is not that much fun at the best of times, but try it with a cold BC nose stuck in your ear or trying to wedge itself into the bowl to better inspect while you're at it. :rolleyes:

EEEWWWWWW - very bad mental image ...way too close to home... :eek:

I remember once when my kids were little one of them got sick in the middle of the night - from her bedroom all the way down the hall to the bathroom. My concerned male Golden went to "investigate". Not fun cleaning up a hallway full of regurgitated spaghetti, then bathing an 80 lb dog also covered in the same at 3:00 am... I couldn't somach the smell of spaghetti sauce for years after that...

Three pages? Jeeze!

I guess we can all agree:

Lance is a modest guy.

Animals don't give a hoot about modesty or propriety

Animals don't give a hoot about nudity.

Animals could care less about our body functions.

Lance was given several ideas on keeping Bandit away while he does the deed.

The rest of us have to live with staring eyes and cold noses where we least expect!

Did I leave something out? :rolleyes:

Not only have I not gone to the bathroom alone at my house in 7 years, but I also have been accompanied to the restroom at FRIENDS houses by THEIR Border Collies. And cats. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I've never thought it odd.

As to showing them how its done, during the "Great Carson Pee Wars" my DH has shown our token male dog how its done in the back yard. Unfortunately, he did NOT feel the need to mark after him.

Lance, give it a try. You never know, it might be some sort of liberation thing eventually. I can understand modesty and how one grows up. My parents were very sparing in their affection for each other (and us) in front of us, and it took me many, many years to overcome my own reluctance to show affection - and I still never could seem to come up with the same depth of hugginess I saw in college. Point being you have to do what makes you comfortable, but I think sometimes our comfort zone needs to be stretched.

Maybe you could start at home. I would even suggest sitting for this exercise, and distracting YOURSELF in some way. :rolleyes:

<

everytime you post you seem to get more and more sensitive.

When you post a topic like this you have to be ready for honest answers...and not get squeemish when they aren't what you wanted to see.

Eileen didn't say anything hurtful or insulting

to/about you >>

Thanks bcherder for above remarks. You hit the nail on the head. I am a very sensitive guy. Over react at times.

I've enjoyed rereading all the replies to my post.

As you said, Eileen was not being insulting to me. I overreacted. Eileen, if you read this, I'm sorry.

Originally posted by Miztiki:

Some of my most intimate moments with my dogs are while I'm taking a crap!...Mom going potty has become synonymous with snuggle time for them.

*LMAO* I thought it was just me! Beck views my "potty" time as a time to put her front paws on my knees or shoulders, and give me huge slobbery BC kisses...knowing that she is going to get snuggled right back. Try doing this with a cat sitting on your back, as well, as Pumbaa also views mom potty time as snuggle time. My other cat, Larry, is the only one who feels confident that I can go to the bathroom all by myself.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, there I was squatting down as behind the rock as I could get, and Molly started dancing at the end of her reins (reins on English bridles are way shorter than those on Western bridles). Instead of staying in front of me in the road and helping provide "cover", she shimmied past me and got behind me (meanwhile, my tight breeches were down below my knees, etc., and I couldn't move at all).

[/QB]

I know this is an old topic, but I'm new here and catching up on old threads. Anyway, Sue's story reminded me of something about as bad happening to a friend of mine courtesy of her spooky buckskin quarter horse.

Friend was participating in a hunter's pace - for non-horsey folk it's a timed ride much like a foxhunt except without the fox - and feeling a little out of place to begin with in her western saddle and blue jeans, when she felt the call of nature.

She hides herself well off the trail in the brush, and, holding the end of the reins, goes about her business. As she's crouching there, she notices her horse has managed to wind a vine around his hooves, about a nanosecond before the horse notices the same thing - and proceeds to panic and bolt, dragging friend, half-mast jeans and all, right out into the open just as a group from the local hunt, not a stock tie out of place :rolleyes: , appeared round the bend.

We've not managed to get her to ride another hunter's pace since - I think she's permanently traumatized. :D