BC Boards

Why did you choose a Border Collie?

I was born on a farm and the very first dog I remember was a border collie. I expect my very last dog will be a border collie and in between there has/ will be a number of very good border collie companions....currently, Ladybug (foreground) , Robin (left), and Brodie (right). Their intelligence, loyalty, grace, and beauty simply spoils one for any other breed of dog.

post-10125-1247412230_thumb.jpg

We lost our Black lab of 13 year this St Pats day had cancer of the right rear elbo joint and we waited 2 months and i said one day lets get a border collie boy did I not know then what i was getting our life into, Emma is now going on 18wks old and we love her dearly she is a dog with two nuclear reactors in her i would always say the Lab had 1 reactor in her. kidding around she came from a working farm in Berwick Pa and I am disabled, so i have lots of time to work with her, and I am new to the boards so any suggests would be greatly appreciated and Hello to all the rest of the BC on this forum from Emmalina.

post-10326-1247417444_thumb.jpg

I never intended on getting a Border collie; I had 2 dogs and felt that this was enough.

I agreed to keep a rescue border collie until he could be rehomed.

He weaseled himself into my heart and four years later he is still here!

Hey, another "red dog"! -- my husband talked me into taking the red pup instead of a traditional black and white, and boy is he turning out to be a handsome fellow though in the picture I posted he looks horribly gawky!

I never intended to get a Border Collie. I don't raise sheep or cattle; I have nothing that needs herding.

I was raised with dogs, my mother always had an assortment, usually strays mixed in with her Toy Fox Terriers (she always had at least one TFT). When I got ready as an adult to have a dog, I got a TFT (knowing that I was being transferred to NYC, I needed an apartment-sized city dog).

17 years later, I did one of the hardest things a master has to do: I held Sam in my arms while the vet gave him the shot. The vet was wonderful, she stayed there and cried with me.

So I was dogless. It's amazing how deadly still the house is when you've had a friend for 17 years, then the friend is suddenly gone.

My best buddy at the time had two dogs, a Rottie (who at 105 lbs thought he was a teacup poodle) and a BC. They reminded me of the old cartoons, wherein the big dumb character "Which way did he go, George, which way did he go?" was always getting into trouble because of the little smart one.

The BC (Frank) was an escape artiste extraordinaire; the yard had not been made that he couldn't bust out of. It's not that he wanted to leave his master; he loved him and would do anything for him; it was just----what IS over there on the other side of the fence??? MUST...FIND...OUT...

The first time they visited me, Frank led us on a fun chase across town (leaving the poor innocent Rottie in somebody's yard---Frank went in under the fence, looked around, saw there was nothing interesting there, and left. The Rot followed him in, then couldn't figure out how to get back out).

I thought, "Who would ever want such an exasperating dog!?!?"

Well, my friend's Rottie died (about 3 months after my Sam died).

So, he had Frank (who was really distraught about the loss of his buddy) and I had none.

About 3 months after that, I got an email from my cousin-in-law. She was born and raised in NYC, but her husband (an engineer at the Atomic Energy Comm. in Washington, where he met her) was from Arkansas. He tired of DC and wanted to move home. She was skeptical until she saw what she could buy with the money out of their Georgetown townhouse.

So, here she was in Arkansas, learning all sorts of things, including riding a 4-wheeler. She was out one day on it; my cousin was on the porch and heard a racket; the 4-wheeler was stopped down in the field and she was down. Frantic, he dashed down there in the pickup; when he screeched to a halt---there she was, sitting down in her nice clothes and diamond earrings, with 8 very dirty Border Collie puppies licking her face; Mama BC was standing by with her head cocked, giving her the "eye".

She, of course, wanted to keep all of them. He, of course, told her she already had 2 dogs and there was no way. After the arguments were over, she spammed everyone in her email address book: "You guys are going to have to come take a puppy." (She placed all the pups and the mother dog with her friends and relatives. )

I called my buddy, who lived in a nearby town, "Hey, man, run up there and check out these pups. If you think they're really BC's, let me know." He called me 4 hours later. "I'm on my way home with three of them, one for you, one for me, one for (other friend)." The other friend didn't want the dog, so back he went, and my cousins got to keep 2 instead of one.

So I went to my buddy's house, picked up the pup (it was love at first sight) and that's how I got Lucy.

A few months later, I was posting on a sports board; the subject of dogs came up and this guy popped on and asked, "Do you know anybody who would take a female Border Collie puppy?" Seems his 21 year old son had boomeranged, saw the Super Bowl ad where the BC goes and gets a beer, thought, "Woah, that's really COOL!" and went out and bought at BC puppy. Of course the pup (1) wet the floor, (2) cried nonstop when abandoned, (3) didn't come from the womb knowing how to fetch a beer from the fridge, but (4) did know how to chew the furniture up when left alone all day. So the kiddo wanted to get rid of her and his Dad (my contact) popped in on our conversation. I drove from Arkansas to Houston on the 4th of July to get the pup, and that's how I got Ethel (one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met) (btw, she does not now wet the floor, nor does she chew the furniture, though chewy toys are greatly appreciated; she does fetch a stick on command but leaves the beer in the fridge).

I started researching the breed with Lucy, then got into BC rescue, and made several rescues in Arkansas before I left (including high-kill shelter pulls with only minutes to spare). I've continued that here in Houston. I have a current rescue, Bessie, who is available for adoption (but it's getting harder each day for me to think about letting her go).

Here's Bessie:

DSC_0005a.jpg

Since my old buddy and I were big sports fans (especially the Arkansas Razorbacks), Lucy and Ethel are widely traveled BC's. They have been to every football stadium in the Southeastern Conference; they've been to the College World Series; they've been from South Carolina to California and all points in between. They love the lake, the beach, and the National Forests. All you have to say is "Van" to them and they're crazed to "Get in the Van"! I have bought 2 minivans (so far) specifically to transport me and the BC's around the country. They enjoy hiking, camping, or just going for walks around the neighborhood here in Houston; playtime here in the back yard is always fun.

While I don't necessarily fit in with the "herding" group here (though I think they and their dogs are incredible!), and I knew nothing about BC's when I got my first one, I now am a responsible owner, and I know a bit about the breed and what makes them tick. I love them completely.

What would I do with a boring dog??? Sit there and look at it or something?

My last girl, who was tragically taken away from me (when a guy on a motorcycle t-boned my s10 in a parking lot--he was travelling about 130mph--hit the passenger door where my baby was in the passenger seat, we were fully loaded with stuff for the rescue reunion the next day, anyway my Stitches raised her head and upon impact the gastank flew off the bike and through the window, hit my girl in the head deflecting it from direct impact with my temple, she lived to make sure we got out and passed away at the vet hospital that a rescue worker told my friend to take her to, he said tell them to do whatever it takes, but she only lived for an hour, no broken bones but head trauma) Stitches was a border collie mix and very loyal and smart, I am black and white dog person so, BC fits the bill. When I lost Stitches, I was heartbroken but knew life would go (since I got Stitches when my girl Sketcher passed away in '06) After Sketcher I said no more, I can't handle the heartbreak, but quickly realized I can't handle not having a dog, a big part of me was gone. I went on-line and found Stitches at a rescue not far away. What a treasure, she got involved with the rescue, and was little big personality. She loved and touched the lives of everyone she met. So after loosing her, she told me that there was someone who needed me and would help me, on-line again (the recsue didn't have "my" dog) but one in Eastern PA did. I found her when I got home from the hospital the day after the accident. So 2 of rescue volunteers took me to meet my Silky. I already knew she was mine, so the long drive didn't matter, she was coming home with me. She has been perfect for me and I for her. She had a rough beginning, intended for nothing but breeding. Not much human interaction and not food motivated in any way. She was very timid and lacked any self confidence. But, now is had blossomed into a beautiful flower and attrects many social butterflies. She loves other dogs, we go to a place called Bow Wow Beach, and is learning that I will never let a human hurt her so she can trust some of the ones she knows. We are healing together and loving life together. We committed love and safety to each other, not a lot more is required, but she has developed great skill with a tennis ball and has fantastic obedience on a leash. We are learning recall, but not pushing her, and are going to start with some backyard agility (so she is comfortable with the equipment) before we join a club. Life is good and she is full of life, we are happy. :rolleyes:

I saw my first Border Collie when a local farm a shearing day celebration. One of the demos they had was a sheepdog demo put on by Lyle Boyer. I was about 10 and thought those dogs were incredible. A few years later we went back and bought a started flock of sheep from that same farm. I was once again enamored with the working BCs that the couple owned. I wanted my own, but I was only 13 and we already had a family dog. So I learned the in and outs of owning and caring for sheep. I loved having the sheep, but also really wanted the black and white sheepdog to go along with my flock.

Fast forward about 9 years and I was back home after spending a couple of years volunteering in inner city schools (I love the volunteer part, but disliked living the city). The family dog had recently died at the ripe old age of 15 and I was ready to find my Border Collie. I started looking through ads in sheep publications and our MI sheep breeders directory, then I started making phone calls. My friends with BCs had gotten them off a farm in South Dakota, but I wanted something a little closer to home. The first house where a person answered the phone told me that no, he didn't have any pups, but did have a 3 y/o he'd give me. After talking it over and thinking about it we drove over 2 days later and picked up a shy, scared, Missy. It was love at first sight for me, despite the fact that her former owner had to pull her out of her crate and my brother had to pick her up and carry her to the car.

Three days later she had decided that she was my dog and has been my girl ever since. It took a couple of years of trial and error, but I found in her a very willing helper when it came to sheep chores. No longer did I need to grab, bribe or beg someone to help me with vaccinating, worming or hoof trimming, I had my dog who was eager to help. She was even happy to accompany me on 2 am barn checks for newborn lambs in a gusty snowstorm. And outside of sheep work she was the dog that I just told what I wanted and she did it. Once I asked her to "hup" onto a stack of hay bales to see what she would do. She scrambled up the the one side of the stack - nearly 10ft vertically - in an instant and wagged her tail at me from the top. She lives to please and was everything I imagined my own dog would be. She has been though obedience classes, got her CGC, been through therapy dog classes, spent a year and a half going to work with me at a nanny job. She is my good girl and my shadow.

Through all of this I bacame more interested in working dogs in general - herding, assistance, police, detection, SAR. I read article and books and became very interested in SAR. When I got Kipp in late 2006, I started looking into either training him for sheepdog trials or for SAR. When I found a SAR team an hour away, I decided to go with that.

I love working my dogs on sheep and seeing their natural talent shine, but I'm becoming more and more interested in SAR and detection work. I'm hoping to add third dog in the near future to train primarily in one or more aspects of search work.

I'm becoming more and more interested in SAR and detection work. I'm hoping to add third dog in the near future to train primarily in one or more aspects of search work.

If you're not too far away, I'd ask Becca about her little Borderjack bitch: the videos are just awesome and she is also as cute as a tick.

We lost our Black lab of 13 year this St Pats day had cancer of the right rear elbo joint and we waited 2 months and i said one day lets get a border collie boy did I not know then what i was getting our life into, Emma is now going on 18wks old and we love her dearly she is a dog with two nuclear reactors in her i would always say the Lab had 1 reactor in her. kidding around she came from a working farm in Berwick Pa and I am disabled, so i have lots of time to work with her, and I am new to the boards so any suggests would be greatly appreciated and Hello to all the rest of the BC on this forum from Emmalina.

Welcome to the board. My 2 pure breds are both from Bonnie. Is she a Jet/ Jingles baby??

In 1993 I had just closed on my home and I was actively searching for a dog. I was sure on the type but, I felt I was looking for a medium size dog. I preferred a young puppy and I wanted it to have long hair. I answered an ad at the local grocery store for Mini colllie pups free to a good home.

It was on a farm there were 9 pups in the litter and Kirby was the smallest. He kept sitting in my lap and sucking on my fingers. He was very wormy and small but, he grew rapidly into a pretty black high mix border collie. I had him untill he was 12 and he was a great dog he was fun and loyal and protective. He had to be PTS due to cancer in his mouth in 2005. I guess you could say we picked each other.

I waited about 6 months to look for a new dog and I was looking at rescue but, there were few border collies in my area at the time. We looked at Puppies at Cheryl's and Annies but, I really needed a dog. I was scheduled to go to Glen highlands but, I couldnt meet the requirement of getting my husband to come 3 1/2 hours each way and adopt. I answered an ad locally for older pups. Dally was 6 months old. He really picked me he was smitten the minute I walked through the door. He did everything to make me love him. Including leaving a room full of playing dogs to accompany my son to the bathroom. He really is a perfect bc he's well behaved you can take him anywhere. He really tried hard at agility even though he didnt have alot of talent.

Next I bought Maddie to train in herding but, the economy has hit us hard and I cant justify the 60+ dollars a week to train. She is a great dog, well balanced as far a socialization and such but, she is much more itchy. She is a demanding and can be frustrating in general. She seems to have nwo at 3+ to have taken over ruling my house.

Genie came as a rescue from a shelter in 2006 about 36 hrs from delivery.I went to see what they had.lol She is a good dog I'm unsure of her age but, I'm beginning to believe it's much older than originally thought. She is poorly people socialized and prefers to stay home she often looks to me for support if she is unsure by crying and whining. BTW Genie was never meant to stay but, after having her for 6 months my husband veto'd letting her continue to be up for adoption

So in that next 36 hours we had Sugar. She was a biggest puppy and I had a hard time getting her breathing but, it was obvious this would always be my puppy. She is a nice stable family dog.

So all in all my dogs except Maddie found me.

I wanted an athletic, energetic, biddable, medium-to-large dolichocephalic dog with a rough coat and an outgoing personality that did not have a reputation for aggression.

A border collie simply fit the bill.

Also, hailing from New Zealand (a country, by the way, with more sheep than people) I had had a lot of contact with border collies and always loved them. In fact, my great-uncle was a national champion at herding events.

One experience in particular stands out: I remember seeing a man in the small rural township where I grew up with his border collie. It was walking to heel off-lead. The man walked into a shop without so much as glancing at his dog, and his dog simply sat at the door and waited for him. Then he came out of the shop with a newspaper and the dog heeled and continued walking down the street next to his owner.

I watched all this in total awe, especially since at the time I was walking my poorly-trained cavalier King Charles spaniel who pulled so hard on his lead he literally gagged himself and gasped for air the whole time.

I know this has a great deal to do with training but it was something I never forgot and ever since characterized my view of the breed as the coolest dogs in the world.

Welcome to the board. My 2 pure breds are both from Bonnie. Is she a Jet/ Jingles baby??

Yes she is in fact she still has one of the little mates listed on the other boards as Fluffy i think. Plus she had a little of reds when we picked up Emma. Plus she had just got a Burmese mountain dog for her birthday.

Yes she is in fact she still has one of the little mates listed on the other boards as Fluffy i think. Plus she had a little of reds when we picked up Emma. Plus she had just got a Burmese mountain dog for her birthday.

Jingles is a great dog. You got a wonderful puppy. Dal is out of Jingles and he is a wonderful companion dog. Best of luck.

Edited to add: That I talk to Bonnie regularly and she has been a great help to us with our rescue esp with health issues. She is a wonderful person.