BC Boards

Can you tell us what we are seeing

Hi Carol, this really is not a training question, but the Eye thread got me to thinking, so I thought I would ask.

One of the other Open handlers pointed out something about the way Jake worked around the cattle this past weekend, he said that it was almost as if the dog was not paying close attention, he also mentioned that a new dog that he is training and just started trialling does the same thing and is uncertain as to whether or not he likes it, though the dog won for him. It's not that he is not taking his commands, he does dead on and with conviction, he also is in the right place around the stock and is holding a straight line on his own, even against a draw (yeah). Wayne said that he had to very rarely recommand him on his flanks and never had to give him an in or an out to adjust his flank all weekend, when given a there Jake would step in and immediately influence the stock. We don't see it when the stock is super light or being difficult, we see it when things are under control, I guess you could say he is sorta floating around, I don't mean daydreaming, it's just wierd to describe. You had mentioned to me previously that Jake sounded to be loose eyed, is that what we are seeing? I hope I am describing it clearly, I don't think I want to change it, it's working, but more trying to identify what it is we are seeing.

Deb

Guest carol campion
Hi Carol, this really is not a training question, but the Eye thread got me to thinking, so I thought I would ask.

One of the other Open handlers pointed out something about the way Jake worked around the cattle this past weekend, he said that it was almost as if the dog was not paying close attention, he also mentioned that a new dog that he is training and just started trialling does the same thing and is uncertain as to whether or not he likes it, though the dog won for him. It's not that he is not taking his commands, he does dead on and with conviction, he also is in the right place around the stock and is holding a straight line on his own, even against a draw (yeah). Wayne said that he had to very rarely recommand him on his flanks and never had to give him an in or an out to adjust his flank all weekend, when given a there Jake would step in and immediately influence the stock. We don't see it when the stock is super light or being difficult, we see it when things are under control, I guess you could say he is sorta floating around, I don't mean daydreaming, it's just wierd to describe. You had mentioned to me previously that Jake sounded to be loose eyed, is that what we are seeing? I hope I am describing it clearly, I don't think I want to change it, it's working, but more trying to identify what it is we are seeing.

Deb

Hi Deb

My guess is —without seeing it—is that it is a dog that doesn't have a lot of eye—but I wouldn't necessarily say loose eyed. I would have to see it.

Sounds like a nice kind of and amount of eye to me.

Carol