BC Boards

Guest carol campion
Hi Carol,

What sorts of things might you try to bring out a little more 'eye' in a dog ? Thanks.

Ray

Hi Ray

I guess I first have to ask what you describe as lack of eye? I want to make sure we are on the same page with eye. Does this dog in question have any feel for sheep? Is it a big out-runner?

You are a good dog trainer, so I imagine you have tried these, but my most most common tools I have use are—a stop to manually give him eye and show him how it feels to be in a certain place—distance off the stock will kick his eye in—fewer sheep to work and lighter sheep.

Heavy sheep force a dog closer and once too close they lose their feel and eye.

Let me know more about the dog unless this is a general question.

I am off for the weekend so if I don't respond til Sunday, you will kow why.

Carol

Thanks for the compliment. I guess I'm just looking for a different perspective to keep in mind when I work with this dog. He's fairly new to me. By the way he goes I have no doubt he'll be a big outrunner. He has a pretty good stop too, maybe I'll start using it a little differently based on your suggestion. Have a nice weekend. I'll see if I notice any difference in the dog. Thanks.

Ray

Guest carol campion
Thanks for the compliment. I guess I'm just looking for a different perspective to keep in mind when I work with this dog. He's fairly new to me. By the way he goes I have no doubt he'll be a big outrunner. He has a pretty good stop too, maybe I'll start using it a little differently based on your suggestion. Have a nice weekend. I'll see if I notice any difference in the dog. Thanks.

Ray

Hi Ray

Yes, I will use a stop on a dog to help him feel being in a place. Later it can be changed to a "there". I don't hold them down for more than a few seconds and then ask him on. Just long enough to allow them to think about that spot.

Carol