BC Boards

How old before we can jump??

I have a quick question. Our BC is 8 months old now and we're very skittish about letting her jump to catch balls (her obsession) and frisbees. She broke her foot about 3-4 months ago that required surgery. She is fully healed now an dyou can barely see the scar on her little piggies now but I'm very fearful of this injury reoccuring. She loves her Jolly balls and anything else in this workls that resembles the shape of a ball that she can wrap her mouth around and bring to us for a toss. I would love to be able to bring out the Chuckit and her frisbees again but I'm soo scared. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

PS We have since invested in Pet Insurance for any future injurues. Anyone uot there who has a BC and doesn't have Pet Insurance I STRONGLY suggest that you get it for this active breed!

I have a quick question. Our BC is 8 months old now and we're very skittish about letting her jump to catch balls (her obsession) and frisbees. She broke her foot about 3-4 months ago that required surgery. She is fully healed now an dyou can barely see the scar on her little piggies now but I'm very fearful of this injury reoccuring. She loves her Jolly balls and anything else in this workls that resembles the shape of a ball that she can wrap her mouth around and bring to us for a toss. I would love to be able to bring out the Chuckit and her frisbees again but I'm soo scared. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

PS We have since invested in Pet Insurance for any future injurues. Anyone uot there who has a BC and doesn't have Pet Insurance I STRONGLY suggest that you get it for this active breed!

I've always gone by the adage of at least 1 year to let growth plates close. I'm trying very hard stop Izzy from jumping off the deck and that's only 18 inches.

When I throw balls for Izzy I throw them low, only about a foot off the ground so they don't bounce.

Tim

I would keep any high impact activities at a minimum for a few more months. Let your dog finish growing first. It would be similar to letting a 5 year old boy pump iron.

I strongly disagree. Maybe if you only have one dog, but not with multiple dogs. It would cost me 1200 dollars a year to insure all of my dogs. If they all live to be 10 years old, that's 12000. I would rather save the money instead.

Also, if you haven't filed a claim yet, you will be pleasantly surprised how little they reimburse you.

Also, if you haven't filed a claim yet, you will be pleasantly surprised how little they reimburse you.

I must have got lucky, my ACD was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia at 9 months old which cost me A$4800 and my insurance reinbursed me $4100 dollars. I also have an excess of $200 which keeps the premiums low. Read the fine print is the best thing to do to avoid unpleasant surprises!

Mind you my BC isnt insured! I only insured my baby ACD because I have been stung with ortho problems in ACDS before, costing me lots of money.

I dont like letting my dogs jump uncontrolled for balls and frisbees except into water at any age really. My BC loves her ball but I limit how often I throw it and keep it low and throw it far when I do.