BC Boards

Venues

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the boards, but not new to agility, obedience and rally. I am (or will be tonight) a new owner of a Border Collie puppy who I adopted from the pound. I'm also not new to rescue (I'm the President of our Dachshund Rescue group). My question is that I noticed that AKC (ACK) is sort of a 4-letter word around here (which I totally get, when it comes to breed standard for the BC, amongst other breeds, ie GSD) But I wonder what venues do you participate in companion sports? USDAA is very rare around here, so when I was working with my mini schnauzer, we participated in AKC.

What venues do you participate in?

I compete in NADAC as well as USDAA, you might want to look into CPE or UKC. CPE is really gaining popularity here in the Mid Atlantic area.

Ps. My hubby is from Lake Charles La.

I participate in CPE Agility, NADAC Agility (a little, will do more in the future), APDT Rally, and WCFO Freestyle. I'd love to try CFF Freestyle, but it's not in my area. I'd also like to do St. Hubert's Obedience if I ever have a dog that enjoys obedience that much.

What venues do you participate in?

Welcome to the board!!! :rolleyes: I compete in AKC almost exclusive. My trainer is also the trial secatary(sp?) generally so it also very convenient and plus it very close.

Hi and welcome! I really love USDAA and that is where I have been focusing my efforts. I also like CPE, and the equipment specs are similar enough to USDAA so it's not a problem to go between them. Unfortunately, I find the changes in the NADAC equipments specs over recent years difficult for my dogs to deal with at a trial. We don't have NADAC-style equipment so don't train on it. My dogs want to fly off that low A-frame and my Sadie has issues with the slatless dogwalk. I think she mistakes it for the teeter. So we haven't done much NADAC lately.

Hi and welcome! I really love USDAA and that is where I have been focusing my efforts. I also like CPE, and the equipment specs are similar enough to USDAA so it's not a problem to go between them. Unfortunately, I find the changes in the NADAC equipments specs over recent years difficult for my dogs to deal with at a trial. We don't have NADAC-style equipment so don't train on it. My dogs want to fly off that low A-frame and my Sadie has issues with the slatless dogwalk. I think she mistakes it for the teeter. So we haven't done much NADAC lately.

Dean had issues with the slatless dogwalk for a while, but he seems to have it sorted out now. Slatless dogwalks are allowed in CPE (although I believe slatted is preferred). Two of the clubs that we trial at use the slatless dogwalk in their CPE trials. I believe both clubs also host NADAC events. If I'm not mistaken, Maddie was thrown by the slatless dogwalk, too, but both have gotten familiar wtih them now.

Nothing threw Maddie for a loop, though, like the first time she ran over a piece done in contactacoat!! We were awarded that contact by a miracle. I think she had one rear toe right on the line!

Most of the time I compete in AKC, since in our area, you can trial every single weekend in that venue if you wanted to (we don't) - and sometimes even have your choice of which trial to attend that particular weekend. I also do the two USDAA shows that my club puts on every year and maybe one other USDAA stint, however my Schnauzers jump higher in USDAA so I prefer not to do it. I did 2 NADAC shows years ago (5?) with just Annie and we found it too easy, she was in Elite by the end of her 2nd trial. It's good for beginners, but we wanted more of a challenge. There are also only 3 NADAC shows within a 200 mile radius, so it just wasn't worth it for us.