BC Boards

Wierd habits.

What weird habit does your dog(s) have.

Jin likes to take a nap and sleep with me. He jumps up on the bed or sofa takes my hand in his mouth and falls asleep gently holding my thumb or finger while letting me use him as a pillow.

When my youngest dog Dave was a puppy he would curl up with my wife and suck her thumb. He is two now but every once in a while he will still do this. We have had him since the day he was born and he has some interesting habits.

Do you really mean that you've had Dave since he was just born? Does that mean he didn't stay with his littermates at all? If that's the case, it could explain some of his behavior issues that you've written about in the past.

When Buzz was young, he liked to sleep with his mouth around my hand or finger, beside me on the couch.

Shonie, now, there's a whole list of quirky things. She re-arranges tennis balls at the park. Picks one up, drops it 2 feet away, picks up another one, drops it to the left of where it was, etc. She's not bringing them to me to toss, she's not playing herself, it's purposeful placing. She nearly had a hissy fit when she saw a ball in a big puddle after a storm.

Things have to be done in the same way Every Single Time. Our back door, which is the one we use 95% of the time, was sticking. DH took the doorknob off, couldn't fix it and couldn't get it back on. Using the front door for the 2 days it took to get the back door fixed was hard on Shonie. You would have thought we were asking her to step into an active volcano.

Samantha likes to eat paper, especially kleenex. It's as good as a dog cookie to her.

Ruth

Daisy has a couple of funny things that she does but the one that I find the most odd is that she has to sit underneath the kitchen table whenever I am making her food. I did not teach her to do this but without fail I go into the kitchen and take her bowl out and she is under the table before it hits the counter.

Do you really mean that you've had Dave since he was just born? Does that mean he didn't stay with his littermates at all? If that's the case, it could explain some of his behavior issues that you've written about in the past.

Sorry, I should have been clear but since you brought this up something has occurred to me I have not mentioned before. No, Dave stayed with his litter mates until they were 11 weeks old but I was with Dave every day from the moment of his birth until we finally took him from the farm at 12 weeks. I am not a breeder, Dave was bred by our Vet out west who is our best friend. But there was a couple of things about Dave's birth that were a little odd. Dave was born with three other puppies. His mother had surgery two days after Dave was born because two puppies were still inside her but not alive. I hand fed Dave and his litter mates for several days until his mother recovered. Dave was the smallest and most timid of the pack and for a few days we were afraid he may not make it but he did. I slept on the floor for a few days beside their kennel. Is it any wonder I have a strong attachment to this dog. His Mom began to feed again and we were concerned because she was on medication, we almost lost her during surgery. At about seven weeks his Mom stopped feeding and spent much time away from the puppies. We talked about this at the time. We have no idea why two of the puppies died and no idea if there was any negative effect on the living puppies. We talked about the mothers milk being tainted by medication. I have not given it much thought since. Dave has had very few medical problems but you know his history. He is a happy little dog and healthy but he is a little small and seems to be hanging on to puppy brain as long as he can. I kept Dave I think because I attached to him quickly. Our Vet kept one of Dave's sisters who is almost a twin to Dave. She is happy and healthy as well and she lives on a ranch. The only thing the puppies seem to have in common is that they were very difficult and very late to house train. Today Dave is attached to me like glue and he will come to me several times every day for petting. Does this raise any thoughts. Thanks for triggering my memory, perhaps I even wanted to forget about the wrong situation.

Daisy digs on my bed.

Can't figure it out. She has never, ever dug a hole outside, ever.

Lucia does this too! Can't figure it out. Once when she was about 10 months old, she got under the conforter and dug through two sheets and the egg crate matress to the reg. matress. (no damage to the reg matress, thank goodness!) She pooped egg ctrate for two days :D She hasn't damaged anything since, but I still find my bed remade and the pillow used when I get home from work :rolleyes:

Grady licks elbows :D When I'm typing, holding a book, lying in bed, etc he licks my elbows. Maybe because when bent they stick out, but it's just weird. He really doesn't lick otherwise.

Lucia does this too! Can't figure it out. Once when she was about 10 months old, she got under the conforter and dug through two sheets and the egg crate matress to the reg. matress. (no damage to the reg matress, thank goodness!) She pooped egg ctrate for two days :D She hasn't damaged anything since, but I still find my bed remade and the pillow used when I get home from work :rolleyes:

Thank god I'm not the only one! She's never destroyed anything...yet... but she'll stand on the bed, put her head and shoulder on the mattress for leverage and just start digging. It's pretty darn funny actually. She also re-makes the bed every night before she goes to sleep by pulling the blankets with her mouth and shoving them around with her paws. That's a bit irritating when you're trying to sleep!

We've had Ruger, our 2.5 year old rescue, for about 2 months now. Whenever he is in "herd" mode, whether it be with the 2 yo grangdaughter or the two cats, he always finds something to hold in his mouth: frisbee, tennis ball, chew, rocks, coins(!) We've provided and take chew bones wherever we go now so he doesn't swallow any more rocks -- YIKES.

When Dean plays ball outside, he can't resist stopping to trade balls if he runs by one on the ground. It's very comical. He's running along, suddenly he stops, looks, runs over, drops the ball he has, picks up the other, and returns with the one he traded for. He'll do this any time he catches the scent of a ball as he runs by.

Speedy goes to town chomping on a toy, squirming, and grunting whenever the coffee grinder is running. It's hilarous.

Sammie goes to bed every night around 9:00. I mean he goes in the bedroom and goes to bed. He used to do this when we lived in a 2 story house even if we were downstairs after that. Now it doesn't seem so odd, but he still does it most nights.

Jin will walk up to the cats, awake or asleep, and drop a bal on them to get them to play.

If he finds sebastian asleep he starts licking him all over.

Sometimes when we're eating and ignoring him, Scooter will go to the vertical blinds in the kitchen and stick his head through them, causing all of the slats to move and make lots of noise, then he moves on to the bathroom and wanders around (both things he knows not to do), then back to the kitchen where he looks up at some little wooden decorative pegs on a desk, then peers into the basket next to it. Always in the same order. :rolleyes: There's never been anything in the basket either! LOL! Goofy guy. His less than subtle way of letting us know he wants us to notice him! :D I've thought about putting something in the basket one of these times to throw him off! :D

Bella loves ice cubes and whenever I get a glass down, she heads straight for the fridge to wait for her ice cube. The weird part is that she has to have 2 ice cubes, one won't do. I slide the first one across the kitchen for her to chase & she runs to get it. She always comes back for the second ice cube carrying the first one in her mouth. When I say "no, you already have one" she spits out the ice cube & covers it with her body so she can effectively beg for the second one...which she always gets. I figure if you want the second ice cube badly enough to sit on the first one, you deserve it.

Jody is rapidly picking up the ice cube habit, though he still only asks for one.

Jade has this weird thing with towels/blankets/rugs... she'll stand behind a blanket, stretch her paws way out to the opposite side of it, and scrrrrape it back between her back legs, arching her back when she does it. I'm not sure if this is some sort of weird humping activity, but if her crate bed has just been washed and I put it in her crate, a little while later it will be clear in another room, taking it there with this activity the whole way.

She also yodels when she stretches :rolleyes:

One of Lexi's quirks is that she is an alerter for any type of physical domestic violence. If anyone in the room lightly smacks another (even just on the arm in an affectionate way) she runs up and barks. If there are long hugs with back-patting, same thing. Heaven forbid someone actually hits another in a violent way - she would go ballistic! Funny thing is, she doesn't get bothered at all by yelling or tension - it's just hitting that sets her off. :D

Another thing she does (which I suppose is actually not uncommon among border collies) is to chase any flying insects. Anytime a fly gets into the house, she becomes obsessed with tracking its motion and trying to bite it out of the air. This results in strange leaps and snapping sounds, which are surprising if you did not yet notice the fly.

Oh and also, when she's eating her food, sometimes a kibble or two will roll over the side of her bowl onto her placemat. She is very picky about picking these up ASAP. If some kibbles roll out while she is taking a bite of food, she won't take another bite until she has eaten all the kibbles that rolled out. Very handy habit for clean-up, I must say! :rolleyes:

Izzy knows when it's time for bed when both katie and I head upstairs at night. She follows in suit, not wanting to miss any potential action of course! And while we're brushing our teeth, etc. she deems it necessary to pull all her toys out of her crate and spread them around the upstairs. Once that has been accomplished she will grab her favortie toy a soft squeaky pillow shaped bone and start to chew that and as it squeaks she cries and whines to match the pitch of the toy!!! She has MANY other squeak toys and this is the only one she does it too! :rolleyes:

Funny, yes but if you didn't know she was playing with it you would think someone is stepping on her!

Tim

Oh and also, when she's eating her food, sometimes a kibble or two will roll over the side of her bowl onto her placemat. She is very picky about picking these up ASAP. If some kibbles roll out while she is taking a bite of food, she won't take another bite until she has eaten all the kibbles that rolled out. Very handy habit for clean-up, I must say! :rolleyes:

That's funny! Scooter does that too. Very fastidious. Eats slowly too, pausing from time to time, as if contemplating some great moral or ethical question. Roll in something messy outside? doG forbid! He's my goofy guy... :D