BC Boards

Shadow's big trip!

I've been planning a trip this summer; 1 week in Montreal, and 3 months in New Jersey! We'll be driving the entire way, so she's been coming in long trips in that vehicle for the last few months and she does great! I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything though, so I figured I'd come out of lurking and get your guys' input!

I have:

-up-to-date vets records, as well as a paper signed by my vet saying she is healthy.

-a tag with my boyfriend's address, this is where we will be this summer.

-a meet and greet arranged with his vet so she can get to know Shadow a little, and I can make sure she is right for us.

-travel food/water dish with room in bottom for food for the week in Montreal.

-grooming kit.

-some toys and her blanket.

-her crate.

-leash and gentle leader.

-doggy seat belt.

-a bright bandana for walks along the way so she is easy to see in case she manages to escape (I sure hoe not!)

I'm getting:

-a doggy first aid kit.

-stomach meds in case she feels a little sick.

-zinc stick for her nose (she has a pale spot that burns).

Is there anything else anyone can think of? Its 13 hours to Montreal, but we are camping 1/2 way there for one night (she has never camped either... not sure what to expect there). The trip from Montreal to my boyfriends place is 7.5 hours. As always, any imput is appreciated! I haven't travelled with a dog since I was little, and I don't really know what to do!

Thanks guys!

At the border the only record that I was ever asked for was a rabies vaccine. That's it. Usually if they see you holding papers, they will ask if those are the dogs papers. If they are, they don't even ask to look at them. Make sure you're dog food does not have lamb in it. You will have problems at the border with that. It's a good thing you are brining your crate...I did not last summer and they searched our car EVERY TIME we crossed. They had this dirty crate that was missing screws and about 100 years old for me to put my dog in. The other 3 locations did not even have crates and I had to stand out in the sun with the dog while everyone else was in the nice air conditioned buildings. For the record, they searched our car because it was a rental (organized crime uses rental often to smuggle) not because we were criminals!

Looks like you are in good shape though! Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Some things you haven't mentioned:

- Doggy bags, for when you take her out to relieve herself

- a towel, incase she gets wet/muddy, so that you can dry her off before she hops back in the car

- is she microchipped? In Australia you're able to phone the company and leave details of your holiday, where you'll be staying and when, just in case she gets lost and for some reason loses her collar also - you'll be able to get her back faster.

- Treats, I don't know about Shadow but Bonnie gets nervous in unfamiliar places and treats will always help to calm her a little (I use liver treats and only give her tiny bits, when we're travelling)

- the camera!!

Your cell phone number on a pre made flyer, just in case the worst happens and she gets lost.

Get her used to the bandana now, before the trip.

Make sure she'll eat in areas new to her, like the car or a road side stop. Also, training her to potty on command is always a good idea.

No fragrance baby wipes in case there is an accident and you need to clean things up a bit.

Poop bags

Flashlight for night time walks in a strange area.

Maybe a mild sedative, (I use generic benedryl for my dogs) for fireworks, city noises, etc.

And good for you for taking her with you! Have a grand adventure,

Ruth

Thanks guys! Forgetting doggy bags would have been a disaster! And I never would have thought of basics like a towel or a flashlight, guess I just take them for granted around the house! I've added all of your suggestions to my list!

A sheet (flannel works great) - our dogs sleep with us - so I always put on the bed to keep dog hairs to a minimum. One of the little pillows - about 1/3 size - helps when Duchess sits on my lap ( husband is driving). I like a harness on the dog - little extra safely measure while transporting. A strong "wait" command - they cannot jump out of the car until they get the okay command. Something of theirs from home - blanket, etc - to bring with them for comfort on their journey. Two years ago we camped from Florida to vermont with the dogs and they did great. Every year we go from Florida to NM with the dogs - it is a really long drive - Cody sleeps a lot but Duchess looks out the window the majority of the time.

Have a great adventure!

I've been planning a trip this summer; 1 week in Montreal, and 3 months in New Jersey! We'll be driving the entire way, so she's been coming in long trips in that vehicle for the last few months and she does great! I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything though, so I figured I'd come out of lurking and get your guys' input!

I have:

-up-to-date vets records, as well as a paper signed by my vet saying she is healthy.

-a tag with my boyfriend's address, this is where we will be this summer.

-a meet and greet arranged with his vet so she can get to know Shadow a little, and I can make sure she is right for us.

-travel food/water dish with room in bottom for food for the week in Montreal.

-grooming kit.

-some toys and her blanket.

-her crate.

-leash and gentle leader.

-doggy seat belt.

-a bright bandana for walks along the way so she is easy to see in case she manages to escape (I sure hoe not!)

I'm getting:

-a doggy first aid kit.

-stomach meds in case she feels a little sick.

-zinc stick for her nose (she has a pale spot that burns).

Is there anything else anyone can think of? Its 13 hours to Montreal, but we are camping 1/2 way there for one night (she has never camped either... not sure what to expect there). The trip from Montreal to my boyfriends place is 7.5 hours. As always, any imput is appreciated! I haven't travelled with a dog since I was little, and I don't really know what to do!

Thanks guys!

How about an emergency information card for Shadow's crate? Something like this....

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:HTMlu...=clnk&gl=us

Janet

Lots of good tips you've been getting!

I have one for camping. Our old BC, Casey, went camping with the family several times as we were growing up and we could not fit a crate in the tent with the 4 of us. So, Casey figured out how to unzip the tent with her nose! We had to twist tie the zippers together when we went to sleep so she couldn't get out of the cabin portion of the tent! :rolleyes: So if you can fit a crate in the tent great, if not, twist ties or strings just in case!

Have a great trip!

I have taken Bess camping, and couldn't fit the crate (not a wire crate, a travel crate) inside my tent, so I put it outside the tent and covered it with a blanket. This was in the Fall so nights were cool. she could hear every sound I made, and I could hear every sound she made so I knew if she needed to go 'out". Inside the crate, I put her blankie and crate pad. if it were summer, I think I'd leave it bare and put a frozen water bottle inside her crate in case she was a little thirsty from the extra heat. She could lick the condensation from the bottle. might be difficult to get frozen bottles when camping though. Had it been too cold for her..(unlikely for a BC, I hear) I was prepared to bring her in and snuggle her in my bag with me, since I was solo in my tent, but with a group of women who were in campers... I'm a die hard. Camping is tents...period...LOL.

Thanks so much everyone! I plan to just let her sleep in the tent with me, she is used to snuggling all night. Her crate is more for when we go in to eat (mom thinks she'll destroy the van, I doubt it tho) and for when she is at my BFs house since she is still bad about messing on the floor if she isn't taken out the second she needs to go >.<

I'll make sure to keep you all informed of how things are going =D

What good ideas! I have a couple of my own to add:

Make up a "lost dog" poster now (and keep it for at home and whenever you travel) with all relevent information, including phone numbers and a good photo. If you are going to be somewhere where you won't have easy access to copying facilities, take multiple copies, and make sure you have tape/thumbtacks or other means to attach to good, visible locations.

I always (if staying in motels at all) take the "dog blanket" - a blanket that covers whatever-size bed I might be using, and that has the propensity to gather dog hairs. I remove the motel covers (leaving on the sheets, of course) and put them up, and cover the bed with my blanket to trap hairs and any dirt that might come off the dog.

I also keep a "no spill/no splash" water bowl ("Buddy Bowl") so that puddles aren't made, and keep that in the bathroom to be extra careful. And I provide clean chewies if the dog is likely to want to chew (young ones, especially).