BC Boards

Scratching ear as a calming signal?

I was chatting with another BC owner tonight who mentioned she's seen some BCs use scratching their ear as a calming signal (as they keep doing it, it slows and may not reach the ear). As I watched, a puppy she was sitting was in fact doing that, among other calming signals at the same time, so it was obvious that was one of them. I've never noticed the number of BCs I've raised/trained/housed/pet-sat using that particular signal, but it's very possible I was just not paying attention.

I'm wondering how many of you have noticed this particular calming signal? It's been awhile since I've read Turid Rugas's pamphlet, and don't recall if that was one she mentioned. The friend I was talking to says she has seen it in her own BCs and in this other lady's BC's (of which the pup was one), but not in other breeds (and she trains many breeds in her job). So if you've seen it, was it in a BC or other breed?

I found it very interesting that it was well-used in her house and her friend's house, but not well-used enough in my house for me to even notice. Do pups pick up on the commonly used signals from the adults in the household, and learn "the favorites" as they learn other nuances? Just to note, there are plenty of situations for calming signal use in my pack with the resident snarky one Zoe, so it's not like I don't see any.

I'm very curious about this, might have to dig out Turid's pamphlet again. :rolleyes:

Cord does this, and I've seen other dogs do it too. When I see it, it generally seems to be a sign that the dog is "trying" but hasn't accepted or understands what you are asking - or is moderately uncomfortable in whatever situation.

Ted does it to ask for attention, though. I see it as a sign that he's wavering between wanting to please me and demanding what he wants, which is sort of obnoxious in doggy culture. That's consistent with the rest of his personality and it doesn't bug me. I tease him about it. He definitely does that thing where he "air scratches."

Jetta the Wonder Mutt scratches at her ear and shakes her head like she's got a terrible case of fleas or ear mites or something. when I first got her she did it so much I took her back to the vet to have her check really carefully for something I was missing. The vet thought maybe she had bad ear mites or some other ear problem when she was young and now it's a nervous habit. Like everything Jetta does, it's actually really cute - she practically lifts herself off the ground when she shakes her head, then ends up looking at you with her tongue hanging all the way out the side of her mouth like, "What?"

My aussie does this. Often times you will see her sitting in a very slumped and casual position scratching her ear while yawning. I notice it when she is uncomfortable with Chase the BC playing wildly around her. Then she gets up and either starts playing with him or starts barking at him. Sometimes in obedience class she will start scratching herself, not particularly her ear. She does have allergies but I can usually tell the difference between an allergy scratching situation (because I know when she eats something she shouldn't have) or a nervous situation.

Cressa does the ear itch or air itch when she is competely relax/ almost falling asleep. She also uses it when I am petting her and she need to get her belly rub. :rolleyes:

That's interesting... whenever I see Aveda scratching I immediately think fleas since she's allergic, and usually go check on her. My roommate pointed out yesterday that it looks like she isn't even itching when she scratches, like it's just a habit or something. I'm wondering if maybe she's trying to get attention or doing it out of boredom or as a "displacement behavior". Thanks for the insight!

If I see a dog doing it while being asked to learn or do something I consider it one of two things, either the dog does not understand and needs more patience and understanding or if the dog understands the requirement the dog may be exercising avoidence and the scratching is indicating it. Yes, I think they are trying to calm themselves or basially checking themselves out of the pressure situation, kinda like wringing your hands when you get nervous. I don't allow the dog to stay in that place, I either find something easier for them to do or hold them to the requirement by pushing them on depending on why the dog is avoiding (lack of knowledge or just preferring to do something easier)

Deb

I see this a lot from dogs as a stress displacement behavior. Not sure if that's exactly the same as a calming signal, but if I'm not mistaken there is a relationship between the two.

Once I learned how to "read" it, I found it to be good communication from the dog - just like the dog turning his or her head away or excessive yawning. When I see one of my own dogs doing this, or a student's dog, I know to either take a step back in what I am expecting, raise the rate of reinforcement, give the dog a break, or - sometimes - remove the dog from the situation altogether.

Bran will often stand on three legs and scratch her ribs after receiving a verbal correction (even a mild one sometimes), and I have wondered whether it was a stress response. Sounds like it, from what others have said.

Dare sometimes does the head shake thing, too, but I think it is more an attempt to impress me with a "good" behavior, rather than a response to my actions or words. I teach my dogs to shake (their bodies) so I can get them to unload a little water if we've been out in the rain or in hopes they'll drop off some of the "great outdoors" they usually try to bring inside on their coats. :rolleyes: I suspect the head shake thing is related to the shake behavior which gets a positive response from me almost every day.

Interesting to hear about others' dogs doing similar behaviors.

My BC Chase actually tells people how he wants to meet them if they would only just *listen*. For those of you who don't know, Chase has some sensitivity and shyness issues. When people he doesn't know walk towards him, he backs up and tries to hide behind me, sometimes he will bark if they are too far into his space and he feels threatened. (I have been controlling this, thanks to alot of you here on the BC boards.) As soon as they stop and turn around to walk away, he is right there behind them, checking them out. He is a dog that really wants to be friend to everyone but his shyness overcomes him sometimes. It's hard to educate every single person who wants to come and meet your dog about those little nuances like turning your back or turning sideways. Some don't understand. I've also noticed that the people who understand dogs a little more are the people that Chase will warm up to more quickly. They just know what to do.

We have talked about calming signals in our obedience class. I do believe my instructor has read the book you speak of. Sounds like a book worth having in my library.

Ahh! a dog who wants to sniff butts not hands. I know several.

It's a great book. Showing my runaway dog calming signals taught her how to come back to me after her escapades. If you only ever buy one dog training book, make it this one. And I'm not one who reads a lot of dog training books.

Zimba sometimes scratches his ear if I look at him when he's lying on the floor and walk toward him. I usually smile at him and want to pet him. I used to think that he was itching and would turn around and do something else and not bother him. But after noticing him doing it quite often when I was looking at him and walking toward him, I assumed it was a calming signal. He wags his tail while scratching his ear and sometimes he's not even near his ear.

When people he doesn't know walk towards him, he backs up and tries to hide behind me, sometimes he will bark if they are too far into his space and he feels threatened. (I have been controlling this, thanks to alot of you here on the BC boards.) As soon as they stop and turn around to walk away, he is right there behind them, checking them out.

My dog is ALL about meeting from behind: behind other dogs or people. Meeting face-to-face is very stressful for him. If we pass another dog who stresses him out, he'll walk off the path and do "fake sniffing" signals to the other dog, to show he's not interested. But as soon as the other dog is gone, Buddy turns and follows the scent trail the dog is leaving in the air - he really wants to sniff, just not confrontationally. He'll do the same things with humans - someone passes us, and Buddy will walk directly behind him, inches from his butt, to get a good, long sniff. I sometimes worry that the person will turn around quickly and find my dog's teeth just two inches away from his flesh... it looks scary, but it's just a good sniffing. :rolleyes:

Mary

ha ha ha ....glad to know Chase isn't the only one who likes to meet from behind. He's not like that with dogs, only people. He also has been and tends to be a runaway dog. Typically in agility when we're finished running 2-3 obstacles, I don't know, he wants to keep going or something but he doesn't know what he's doing yet. But when I go to get him, sometimes it pushes him further away from me :rolleyes: and he has ended up in the tunnel laying down. He hasn't done this the past 2 classes because I've had help from here on how to keep him de-stressed through the class. So that's progress.

Rave - interested to know, what have you done to get your runaway dog to come back to you? I definitely need to get my hands on this book :D

Michele

By this, do you mean with the back legs scratching the ear, or any leg? 'Cause Jake frequently uses his front paws to sort of swipe behind his ears. Sometimes he licks his feet before swiping his ear, so since I can't figure out why he scratches his head like that, I just figured he's being cat-like, as I know some dogs are. Now I wonder. It would make sense for it to be a calming signal, since when we notice him and start cooing (which makes him uncomfortable) he'll just swipe faster. He rarely does it while standing (once in a while, he'll stop in the middle of walking and swipe at his ear once or twice with a paw), mostly he'll be stretched out on his side and start using both front legs to swipe his ears. It's adorable, but confusing as heck. He's a sensitive, uneasy dog naturally, so there's a lot of calming signals I recognize from him.

By this, do you mean with the back legs scratching the ear, or any leg? 'Cause Jake frequently uses his front paws to sort of swipe behind his ears. Sometimes he licks his feet before swiping his ear, so since I can't figure out why he scratches his head like that, I just figured he's being cat-like, as I know some dogs are. Now I wonder. It would make sense for it to be a calming signal, since when we notice him and start cooing (which makes him uncomfortable) he'll just swipe faster. He rarely does it while standing (once in a while, he'll stop in the middle of walking and swipe at his ear once or twice with a paw), mostly he'll be stretched out on his side and start using both front legs to swipe his ears. It's adorable, but confusing as heck. He's a sensitive, uneasy dog naturally, so there's a lot of calming signals I recognize from him.

You have to learn how to take this stuff in context. I think the whole idea behind Turid's book is to get people aware of their dogs and learn how to read them. Dogs do scratch because they are itchy, sniff because something smells good and do a tongue flick maybe because they have something on their nose. If your dog is showing something that could be a stress signal, I would take a step back an analyze the situation. What is going on around you and the dog at that particular second? Take some time and watch your dog, find out when he displays stress signals and what the situation is like. Like over the period of a week, make mental notes of his body language and the environment. It also helps if you read the book too. But it's highly likely that if there is nothing going on in the environment around him, then he's just itchy or grooming himself. If there is something in the environment that could be making him uneasy, then you should try to remedy the situation.